Storyist Forums

Editor prefs

greiggy

Hi, I'm a new user so apologies if this question betrays ignorance.

Is there a way (or could there be a way) to have the first page start at the top, rather than halfway down?

And a preference for paragraphs to allow unindented, spaced paras would be good.

I'm a non-fiction writer and the fiction constraints are a bit unhelpful for me. I appreciate I may not be a target user!

Hi, Greiggy,

There is a blue button with a white i in it on the right side of the toolbar. Click on it, and you will open the Inspector (I'm assuming you're using the Mac version, as that's the thread you've posted in—if not, it's still possible, but the instructions are a bit different).

Click around in the inspector, where you can set the amount of spacing above the Chapter Title style and the spacing and indentation for the Section Text style. When you have the formatting for each sample paragraph the way you want it (say, for Section Text), click in the properly formatted paragraph and click on the Paragraph tab in the Inspector. You will see a red triangle next to the style. Click on that to make it drop down, and choose Redefine Style from Selection. Bingo! All your paragraphs marked with that style change to adopt your formatting.

Don't change the names of the Chapter Title style or Section Text or Section Separator styles, as Storyist uses those for its internal organization. But you can create new styles by repeating the above steps but choosing Create New Style from Selection instead of Redefine Style.

When you have set the formatting just how you want it, go to the File menu and choose Save as Template. Give the template a name, and you will find it every time you open the Template Chooser.

Best, and welcome to the forums,

Marguerite

• 2 weeks later...

Archived