Storyist Forums

More Pictures, Clearer Pictures.

Steve E

It's not a "must have", but I wouldn't mind seeing multiple pictures possible per character, setting and even note (and prop!). Group sheets (which I'm sure I've mentioned elsewhere) would benefit from pictures as well. Also, the ability to choose the picture's file size (and clarity) would be very useful.

-Thoth.

Can you make a mock-up and show me what you're talking about? I'm feeling a little dumb.

No reason to feel dumb, Calli. Even a little. It's the communicator's responsibility to make his or her ideas clear to the audience. Fortunately, I don't think a mock-up is necessary.

The idea of a main character picture is just fine. Arguably brilliant. But very often one picture isn't enough. You might want police style front and side shots. Old versus young. Rich versus poor. You might want a picture that emphasizes a deformed foot. But it's in Settings where multiple images really shine. Sure, one picture can tend to define a place when the place is well known (think Paris and the Eiffel Tower) but sometimes multiple perspectives are needed to define a single room adequately. A Parisian loft might require pictures of both the Eiffel Tower and a bedroom. (Both in one shot might not be attainable.) I've been solving this problem with multiple sheets grouped together.

Then there are those Storyists working on graphic novels. There the pictures often drive the dialog. It would be good to have a bunch of them together on a Section sheet.

I know it's probably neither practical nor especially desirable for Storyist to become all things for all people. And I mentioned this is not a "must have" (unless you're a graphic novelist). But this is Feature Requests. And I'm sure Steve will be able to vet our insane demands appropriately.

Endeavoring to obviate obfuscation,

-Thoth.

It's not a "must have", but I wouldn't mind seeing multiple pictures possible per character, setting and even note (and prop!). Group sheets (which I'm sure I've mentioned elsewhere) would benefit from pictures as well. Also, the ability to choose the picture's file size (and clarity) would be very useful.

-Thoth.

Good suggestions all.

-Steve

Good suggestions all.

-Steve

I can add different sizes for the JPEGS...

I would be invaluable and would not force me to open Corel Painter to see my world map.

Yes, the piccie in the settings gives me an idea... mostly because I know the map inside out... but if I need details, such as... where exactly is this *()^^()) city located in? Iork, or Ionia?

I may just post the darn map at the top of the short story that I should be working on right now... when I finish it and put it up on the website.

I wonder if a panning option or a zoom option for pictures is feasible? Pictures could be displayed in low resolution for sheets and then (for example) double-clicked into an Examination Mode that might work like Google Maps. This is especially good for maps of your novel world.

More Pictures, Clearer Pictures,

-Thoth.

You know, for the age difference thing, I just made my main character a group - young, old, etc. Granted the pictures are small, but I tend to write a lot in my character sheets. Of course, I've been known to forget what color eyes my characters have... so maybe I'm going about this the wrong way.

Thinking... thinking...

- Calli

Of course, I've been known to forget what color eyes my characters have... so maybe I'm going about this the wrong way.

Thinking... thinking...

- Calli

Oh, gosh, so do I--all the time. That's why I have the character sheets. But bigger pictures wouldn't help with that, since the person I pick as a general representation of the character doesn't necessarily match him/her exactly.

I'm certainly not opposed to bigger pictures as an option. I can see that in some instances (such as Nadine's maps) they'd be really useful. For text-heavy uses such as novel writing, though, the tiny pictures are just right: they keep the file size manageable and let the program focus its resources on the text.

Which brings up my big concern with zoomable, etc., pictures. Wouldn't they make the file enormous?

Perhaps there's a way to confine the more extensive image options to a template, so that those who need them can access them and those who don't can dispense with them. At a minimum, I think it would be useful to be able to toggle the options on and off.

For novel writing, Calli's grouping option (also suggested long ago by Thoth) works fine.

Best,

Marguerite

Which brings up my big concern with zoomable, etc., pictures. Wouldn't they make the file enormous?

I would think so, unless these pictures were held outside of storyist and brought in for detailed viewing. Then the option would be something like "Select Graphic File for Examination". After choosing it you'd want the file to remain quickly accessible for that writing session. Or perhaps it can be done in the form of a link. But instead of linking to a Web Page you'd be linking to graphic. Perhaps Preview could pull it up in the background. (That's what I do now but you want some connection between the Storyist file and the graphic so you don't forget it.)

Lady M, Calli, I too must confess to occasionally forgetting the color of my character's eyes. (And when I do the heroine storms off in a huff. Sometimes a huff and a half.) More to the point, I sometimes forget whether I've assigned a color to someone's eyes until the subject comes up. This is just one of the things that makes Character Sheets so valuable, as you know. It also makes the pictures valuable as quick reference, as you know. But short of drawing the picture yourself, you have to find one somewhere. It is fortunate that the Web offers no end of graphics but I wonder if Storyist should come with some stock photos. Hear me out. This isn't as crazy as it sounds. In fact, I think I'll make this a feature request.

See you in the Stock Photos thread,

-Thoth.

Archived