Storyist Forums

Can't paste from clipboard or import .docx or .rtf !?

rlbs

Storyist won't paste from the clipboard, nor will it import text from a docx or rtf file...all it will do is add an rtf file to a project. This is useless and makes me wonder why so many think this is a great program, so either I'm missing something or Storyist really is as useless as it seems right now. I have 12,000 words of a novel so far, and if I have to retype everything by hand then i'll just ask for a refund and stick with a word processor.

Storyist for Mac does both. I assume that's what you're using, because pasting from the clipboard doesn't mean much on an iPad (apps play in separate "rooms" there). I'm about to shut down for the evening, but I wrote detailed instructions for file import via RTF from Word, which are pinned at the top of the Using Storyist thread.

I send text back and forth all the time to Word, through either file import/export or cut-and-paste, so retyping is definitely neither necessary nor desirable.

If you are using an iPad, the process is somewhat different. I'd have to work out the exact steps, as I work mostly in the Mac version.

Note that I wrote those instructions several years ago for an earlier version of Storyist, so there may be some minor points that don't line up. If you still have trouble, post again. Someone else may be able to walk you through it. I'll check in the morning, but right now my cats are launching a guerrilla campaign against my computer in pursuit of their food....

Best, and welcome to the forums,

Marguerite

Okay, rlbs, here's what you do.

Open a new Storyist file, if you don't have one already. Choose the Novel template. Default name is Novel.

Open the Novel file by tapping on it. You see My Manuscript and a bunch of other stuff. Tap the icon immediately to the left of Edit. Import your RTF file from iTunes or Dropbox. It exists at the same level as My Manuscript.

Tap on the three horizontal lines at top left to get the outline. Tap Edit. Tap and hold the handles for the RTF file. Use them to drag the file onto Novel and let go. Your 12,000-word novel appears under My Manuscript.

Tap My Manuscript, then the Trash can. Confirm that you want to delete the file. Tap your RTF file, which is now a novel manuscript. Verify that it is present. Tap Done to stop editing the list.

If you want to edit any of the names, tap Edit, tap the item, tap the pencil, type the new name, press done.

Best,

M

Thanks M.

On copy/paste: You can copy and paste plain text between iOS apps, and Storyist for iOS supports this. To do so:

• Select some text in another app (e.g. Pages) and tap Copy.
  • Switch to Storyist and open a text file.
  • Tap at the location you want the text to appear.
  • Tap Paste.

-Steve

Archived