Storyist Forums

Usage of multiple DropBox subfolders

Shandor

Its possible im not doing something right.

However I think that storyist uses one single folder for all the work. This doesnt work awesomely for me.

When I'm working on a story, I may have pictures, some research, some clips or links. And I want to be able to keep items that went into each story in a single folder. So my story ends up in a folder with all the supporting documentation. I realize I can bring most of it into the storyist file itself, but that is not convenient when I have an original photo file and I am photoshopping it as needed. I dont want to stick both original and the various revisions in the storyist file, I just want everything to be in a folder.

However, the ipad version just wants to sync stuff with one single folder /storyist. So I can pull in files from a specific folder, but then the ipad version, makes new files in the parent folder. It should sync to the folder that contains the file I took it from.

Why even have a folder defined in the settings, just sync to where the file came from. That would be a lot easier.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Shandor,

Storyist for iOS can import and export to any Dropbox folder that you choose, but it will only sync with a single folder. In Storyist 3 for iOS (in beta), you'll be able to choose which folder you sync with, but sync will still occur with only one folder at a time.

-Steve

Hmm. I would like to suggest then stories should be allowed to sync to individual folders. Having my stories in one folder gets messy. Either all my supporting documents (pictures, news clips, lists, PDFs etc) have to all be in the same folder, regardless of story. Or I have to separate the location of the story from the supporting material. both these solutions to the single folder scenario are inconvenient. Why can't folder path be stored with each story, then each story can sync with the correct folder?

Also... is iOS Storyist 3 iCloud drive compatable? I see that storyist 3 for the mac is, but I can not get to the stories from the iOS version.

Thanks.

Hi Shandor,

Thanks for the feature request. Paths to different Dropbox folders could be stored for each story, making the home screen a list of bookmarks to various locations on the web, but that's not currently a paradigm on iOS and would require additional UI and complexity.

Storyist projects are designed to hold project-related items, so at least for the near term, this is the way to go.

Storyist 3 for iOS does support iCloud Drive.

-Steve

Archived