Storyist Forums

offplumb

Hello. I recently updated my mac to yosemite. I have been attempting to update storyist 2.4.5 via "check for updates" each time i do, I receive this message:

"Update Error!

An error occurred in retrieving update information.

Please try again later."

I would appreciate any help - thank you

• 10 months later...

Hi Zareh,

Thanks for the report. Are you still seeing the error? If so, could you let me know a little bit more about it? Do you see an error message? If so, what does it say?

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any issues updating from 3.0.2 to 3.2 on El Capitan.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I'm currently running version 3.2 on a mac book pro with OS 10.11 (El Capitan). Storyist itself seems to be working fine, but when I check for updates via Preferences I get the following:

"Update Error! An error occurred in retrieving update information. Please try again later." With the sole option of clicking 'cancel update'.

Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide you with.

Z.

Hi Z,

Thanks for the additional information. You're right!

Here is what is going on:

The direct version of Storyist uses the very popular Sparkle framework for updates. Apple added a new requirement in El Capitan that resource downloads be made with https rather than http. This is a good thing, but unfortunately the change wasn't communicated very well, and as a result, apps using Sparkle are running into this issue.

The good news is that Apple only turned this feature on for apps built using the El Capitan SDK. This means

• It won't affect updates from Storyist versions prior to 3.2.
  • It won't affect updates for people not running El Capitan.

It will affect people running 3.2 on El Capitan however, and I'll get a patch out right away.

At the moment, you're running the latest version, but you'll need to manually download 3.2.1 when it is available.

Thank you for the report!

-Steve

Archived