Storyist Forums

Scene sheets

Myster82

Hiya, I am brand new to storyist and am having a bit of trouble.

I exported a script i wrote in final draft. It has been added to my project, with a list of my scenes (scene headings). I can't seem to link character development points to those scenes (not coming up as an option). I can only seem to link them if i create a scene sheet and link it to that. Is this the case?

If so, is there away of linking that scene sheet to the part of the script it refers to?

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense - but if it does, I will really appreciate some help.

Thank you

Stuart

Hi, Stuart, and welcome to the forums.

Yes, that's correct. You can link character development points to scene sheets but not to the actual scenes in your manuscript. To link (attach, in Storyist parlance) the scene sheet to the scene so that they remain in sync, do the following:

1. Click on the scene in your screenplay to which you want to attach the sheet.

2. Click on the rightmost icon at the top, where you see four small rectangles that look like index cards. You should see a card on a gray background that contains nothing but the name of your scene.

3. Click on the scene sheet you want to attach and drag it into the gray area. When Storyist asks you if you would like to attach sheet to scene (or section), click Attach. The two are now linked.

4. Click on the scene in the screenplay again.

5. Click on the icon at top right that looks like a piece of paper with one edge folded over. Your text will return.

If you ever want to detach the sheet from the scene, just repeat steps 1 and 2, click on the card for the scene sheet, and press delete. It will not delete the scene sheet, just remove it from the gray area (which Storyist calls the collage, because you can drag all kinds of items there, including pictures). Then repeat step 5 to see your text again.

Best,

Marguerite

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have not got Storyist yet but am considering it given how slow Scrivener are to get to ios.

Does it work the way Scrivener does with index cards? Does moving the Index Cards around move the actual story/plot/writing?

Basically are the Index Cards what you call 'scene sheets' above that you can see in cork board mode?

Also I like the Scrivener Research tabs & pages (which are basically my novel's wiki), and assume the character sheets in Storyist replace those. Am I to understand that at various stages of your story/plot/writing you can link to essential character development bits in the wiki?

Also, the grey collage area around your writing... is that where you can stick photos or images that are to inspire that plot development? In that case, Storyist may be even more powerful than Scrivener?

See my answers below.

Does it work the way Scrivener does with index cards? Does moving the Index Cards around move the actual story/plot/writing?

Yes, moving the index cards moves the sections. You can also reorder sections just by dragging them in the Project View, on both Mac and iPad. But sections and section sheets (which contain information about sections) are not exactly the same thing. This distinction becomes important in answering your third question.

Basically are the Index Cards what you call 'scene sheets' above that you can see in cork board mode?

Index cards are the corkboard representation of various kinds of sheet (plot, section/scene) or of individual sections in the manuscripts. Character sheets and setting sheets show up as images on the corkboard, but you can see the information in text and outline modes.

Also I like the Scrivener Research tabs & pages (which are basically my novel's wiki), and assume the character sheets in Storyist replace those. Am I to understand that at various stages of your story/plot/writing you can link to essential character development bits in the wiki?

You can link individual character development points in the character cards to section/scene sheets (not to sections in the manuscript, but you can attach the section sheets to the manuscript sections so they always have the same names). You can also link scene/section sheets to plot points and notes to one another.

Also, the grey collage area around your writing... is that where you can stick photos or images that are to inspire that plot development? In that case, Storyist may be even more powerful than Scrivener?

Yes, the collage can hold all kinds of associated information: extra images and visual representations of character, setting, and plot sheets. Also the collage lets you attach section/scene sheets to the manuscript sections, as described above. At least, it can on the Mac. There isn't really an equivalent to the collage on the iPad, so far as I know.

Storyist and Scrivener take slightly different approaches to projects and emphasize different things. But I have found Storyist very intuitive to learn and use, and I personally prefer it to Scrivener—not least because the Mac/iPad synchronization is seamless.

Welcome to the forums!

Marguerite

Archived