Storyist Forums

Can't find index cards

edwardyharby

I was using Storyist with dropbox today. I created a folder and organized notecards within a folder. A full outline. I closed my iPad and went outside. I opened up my iPad and now my whole outlined / organized notecards are gone. The folder is there, but nothing is in there. It's completely gone. I went to dropbox, doesn't show that any syncing happened, but it did sync AFTER they went missing. I was already skeptical about your software, now what do I do?

Hi edwardyharby,

Please send an email to the support address so we can investigate. I'd be happy to take a look at the file for you if you want.

Storyist does make daily automatic backups. If you haven't done so already,

1. Return to the home screen.
  2. Tap the Edit button.
  3. Choose Show Previous Versions

You may find a back up there. Be sure to check the Recently Deleted folder.

Also, Dropbox keeps previous versions too. If you did sync after making changes, you can find the backups as described here.

Note that if there were sync conflicts (that is, your file was changed both in Dropbox and on your iPad), Storyist will rename the version on your iPad to something like "Project Name " so you can determine which version you want to keep.

-Steve

I figured it out. I got to admit, the way your programmed is designed is asking for this sort of confusion. I've been making a list of what could be done to avoid this sort of stuff and will send it to you soon. Thanks for the reply. What happened that all my work today was placed within a NOTEBOOK ENTRY that I was supplementing as a notecard at one point (another design issue). A notebook entry should not be treated like a folder (it can be a notecard? A folder? what is a notebook entry anyways?). A folder should be treated like a folder. A notecard as a notecard. Thanks for the quick response and look forward to future updates.

Hi edwardyharby,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad the work wasn't missing after all.

In Storyist, like in Final Draft, index cards are attached to scenes in a screenplay (or sections in a novel manuscript). If you start by outlining with index cards, you end up with a skeleton script (or in your case, a text file) which you can use to start writing.

-Steve

Archived