Storyist Forums

Import PC created word file from Dropbox in Storyist

George

Is it possible to import a PC created word file (Microsoft Word) from Dropbox in Storyist on an iPad? I´m able to see all files of different format in Dropbox (.doc, .docx) when I´m i Storyist but they remain greyish and are not clickable. Only the file in .rtf format is "lighted" and clickable. Ideas, anyone?

If you save the PC file in Word as RTF, you can import that file to Storyist on the iPad. You won't lose any of your formatting, because Word retains it all in the RTF file. You can also reopen the file in Word at any time.

Unlike many programs, Word will even retain styles in an RTF, so for the best results create two styles in your Word document before exporting: Section Text and Section Separator. Select all and apply the Section Text style (Word should keep the italics). Then make sure your sections are separated with # on a line by itself and apply the Section Separator style to them.

You may also want to set up and apply a Chapter Title style, but that's easy to fix within Storyist.

You can find more complete instructions in this post, which I hope Steve will not mind that I repinned to the top of the Storyist for Mac > Using Storyist section. I wrote it for the Mac version, but the RTF portion also applies to PC files and the iPad.

Best,

Marguerite

If you import the RTF into a Storyist document, you should be able to use the card function. Tap to start a new project (Novel, Screenplay, or Blank). Tap to open it. Import the RTF from iTunes or Dropbox either at the top level, where it says My Manuscript, or from inside the Text Files folder if one exists. Then tap on the imported file to open it and choose the card display from there.

Just remember that the cards contain information about your scenes, not the text of the scenes themselves.

Best,

M

Archived