Storyist Forums

Adding Index Cards either Deletes card next to it, or doesn't add

edwardyharby

I've been out of the country and have been using Storyist on my iPad. The index card workflow works great. I press a index card, and type away.

Now that I'm back I'm using Storyist for the Mac, and find myself having to right click, and edit in order to change the cards. My biggest issue so far is that now (I don't think it did it before), when I add a card with the first card highlighted, it OVERWRITES the next card with a new card deleting my previous information.

If I try to add a card to the end of my entire outline, it just won't do it.

How do I fix this?

Hi edwardyharby,

On Storyist for Mac you can edit a card by selecting it and either right-clicking and choosing Edit or by pressing the Return key (like in Finder).

On the issue with adding the index card: Are you perhaps adding a chapter card before a section? If so, the section will be in the new chapter. If that's not it, send a short email to the support address with a little more information about what type of card you're adding and version information (Storyist and OS X) and we'll investigate.

-Steve

Hi edwardyharby,

If you're seeing "New Body Text" instead of "New Scene" when you click the add button, it probably means your script is using the default stylesheet instead of the screenplay stylesheet. That would explain why the new body text items (that don't have section separators when in screenplay mode) are being merged into an existing "section."

To check, open the outline template and look to see if the default style is Scene Heading as shown in the screenshot below.

OutlineTemplate.png

If it isn't using the screenplay stylesheet, you can use the Format > Style > Change Stylesheet command in Storyist 3 to replace the stylesheet with the default screenplay stylesheet or simply create a new body text level style named Scene Heading as shown in the screenshot below.

SceneHeading.png

-Steve

actually it doesn't work. Format>Style>Change stylesheet is greyed out no matter what I'll do. When I did get it to work, the results weren't desirable, such as creating 2 index cards.

It's difficult to command + Z back with your software, so I gave up testing.

It worked the first time, but I was just testing it. Pretty unpredictable software. Holy crap. I just want to write.

Hi edwardyharby,

The Format > Style > Change Stylesheet is available when you're viewing the script. Just switch to text mode and place the cursor in some text.

To create a new body text style, position the cursor in some text in your script and choose Format > Style > Create New Style from Selection.

I'd be happy to take a look at your project for you. If you'd like me to do that, just send it to the support address at support@storyist.com.

-Steve

Archived