Storyist Forums

Full Screen View in iOS (disappearing menu bar)

cjhacker23

I'm a real fan of this software and feel it's perfect in many ways. I just wish those top bars (and bottom bars in the iPhone version) would disappear so that I could see a true full page of text while I am drafting. It would make the experience so much more immersive. iA Writer has this feature and it's great. Please, please incorporate it into your next update!

Thanks!

Hi cjhacker23,

Thanks for the feature request and the kind words.

The iPhone version does hide the toolbar when the keyboard is up. It accomplishes this at some cost to usability, though. Since you still need to have access to the formatting controls (something plain text apps like iA Writer don't have), the iPhone version replaces keys on the extended keyboard with keys to overlay the regular keyboard with formatting controls. This is somewhat difficult to discover, but worth the hit to usability because the phone screen is so small.

The iPad version has more screen real estate, so it doesn't need to make the tradeoff.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply! Of course, I am assuming the use of a bluetooth keyboard here. What I am dreaming about is a totally uncluttered interface for drafting. A blank piece of paper. It makes a huge difference, psychologically, that little bar on the top (and bottom) of the screen. I find myself using Storyist for its index cards and organizational features but going back to iA Writer on hardcore drafting days, just for the elegance of its interface. Its an awkward workaround, I have to cut and paste back and forth.

If you were able to include a disappearing menu bar in the iPad version, it would totally eliminate the need for such a workaround, and iA Writer in general.

:-)

Archived