Storyist Forums

Issues with formatting, using multiple windows, and BASIC design / semiotics

edwardyharby

There's way too many issues with formatting, using multiple windows and having information update between windows, and BASIC design / semiotics that make how to access certain functions logical.

This my stand point from using it as a screenwriting program.

edit: I meant to put this under the Mac Version section not the iPad section. The iPad version is pretty good.

[MOD: Edited for content]

Hi edwardyharby,

You've expressed your displeasure with the app a number of times, both here and on the Facebook page. If Storyist really does make you want to "jump out a window," please send some mail to support@storyist.com. I'd be happy to refund your purchase.

If you'd rather continue using it and contributing to the forums, I need to ask two things:

1. When asking for help or reporting an issue, be specific. Getting up to speed on new software can be frustrating at times, but it's hard for forum members to respond to general statements about things like "BASIC design / semiotics." If you run across an issue with formatting, for example, describe what happens and compare it to what you expect to happen.
  2. Keep your posts respectful. This forum is for Storyist users to help other writers. Constructive criticism is welcome. Trashing the app is not.

-Steve

I'm in the middle of a project so I can't. I'm not being disrespectful. I paid for this and I wasn't expecting some sort of alpha/ beta build. I was expecting a complete product. I'm simply asking you guys to get testers, have them test it and report back issues. (I just realized the testers part was edited out of my post...)

As for emailing you guys issues, there are way too many mistakes and I'm not an employee of Storyist. I mean should I send you a list through an email then send storyist an invoice for my services as a tester? We both know that's ridiculous. If that's considered disrespectful and not constructive then I'd suggest taking up quilting or something less strenuous.

I bought the program because it has potential and it still does. If you view this as trashing then there's a bigger issue of having a developer not have the ability to push one's self. The pieces and ideas for this program are there. The functionality (a major part of this) is not. It's one step away from being great but that step is ignored. Again, it's the functionality. People shouldn't have to post on a forum on how to do something with your writing program. This isn't Adobe Creative suite (and even then, there software is atleast intuitive and things make sense). This is a writing program!

So make progress with Storyist's released software because it's bad... real bad. They should hear this. The Storyist community seems pretty nice and they deserve better.

I wouldn't usually respond to comments like this, but there is a problem here - and this is that in your complaints, you describe a programme I don't recognise. I have no particular interest in Storyist beyond using it; I don't know Steve any more than through this forum, but this kind of complaining post that, frankly, is "trashing", is annoying and, more importantly, completely useless for readers of this forum, users of Storyist, or its developers.

If you believe that Storyists has bugs that need to be addressed, or features that need to be added, then state them.

If you don't like the software, stop using it. Export your current project, and use something else.

For the record, I find Storyist a well polished piece of software that allows me to write and manage my writing in a way I have not found in other programmes (OK, I haven't tested every other rival product, but I don't feel the need to do so while Storyist does the job). Do I use every feature of Storyist? No. Does it have particular quirks of design or workflow? Yes, but so does every other programme I have used. Is is the beta-product you're alleging? Not in my experience, no it is not.

Unless you have objective proof that Storyist is "bad... real bad" then stop posting to that effect. If you can support your accusations, then please, share these insights.

To nen1000's post I would add that I have been beta testing Storyist since 2007. Even then, it was a competent and usable program, and it is much better now. I also beta-test the iPad version, although I tend to use that less because I am a touch typist who finds it difficult to transfer that skill to the on-screen keyboard, plus I simply prefer certain features available only in the Mac version.

There are three communities of beta testers—for Mac, iPad, and iPhone—and we regularly report bugs when we find them. But I rarely find them in the release versions, which in my view are very polished pieces of software. And unlike nen1000, I tried most of the major competitors before settling on Storyist.

In any case, the "hire some beta testers" comment is completely unjustified. We are here, we don't get paid, and we do our best both to report problems and to help new users navigate the program. If you are having specific difficulties with Storyist, we will be happy to help you. In fact, Steve will be happy to help you, as he has with many other users. But if your main goal is to let everyone to know how much you despise the program, you've made that point, and there's not much anyone can do to change your mind.

Best,

Marguerite

• 1 month later...

Hi edwardyharby,

You've expressed your displeasure with the app a number of times, both here and on the Facebook page. If Storyist really does make you want to "jump out a window," please send some mail to support@storyist.com. I'd be happy to refund your purchase.

I spoke with the Writer's Store (as I was too to do so via email in regard to a refund) and they said they can't give me the refund since it's been 30 days past my purchase date.

Now I'm basically being told from Steve via email that I'm out of luck and can't get a refund that he brought up. This is incomplete software guys. Ugh. What rabbit hole did dig myself into by buying this. I mean why would you offer a refund and have no intention on coming through with it.

Hi edwardyharby,

Well... for the sake of completeness:

• I suggested a refund in this thread on February 3rd.
  • You declined on February 4th because you were in the middle of a project and wanted to keep using the software.
  • You sent an email to the support address on March 12th saying you'd changed your mind.
  • Since you had purchased Storyist from The Writers Store not the Storyist website, I pointed you to their support staff.
  • The Writers Store let you know that they would be unable to give you a refund because you had purchased the software more than 30 days ago.

I did write them on your behalf to ask if they would make an exception to their policy for you. I'll let you know via email when I hear back.

-Steve

Archived