Storyist Forums

Compiling/Exporting into PDF

cjd212

Hi, I am tempting to convert myself over from Scrivener because of their lack of iOS support. My questions pertains to the OSX application.

Is there a way to compile and export the draft (or sections of the draft) directly into PDF form?

As a screenwriter I need to send off pdfs of treatments, outlines, and scripts from time to time. Converting to PDF seems like a simple feature and I'm having a hard time understanding why Storyist wouldn't be able to compile and export into PDF. Perhaps I'm missing something?

I thought I might just export the sections I needed into MS Word and then save the pdf from there (annoying extra step but not a deal breaker) but the compile feature exports the separate sections into separate files (such as Title Page, etc) (annoying and kind of a deal breaker) I've searched the forums and videos but found no answer. Anyone have a suggestion I've missed?

Also. Is there a simple way to do page breaks?

Hoping to convert. Help is appreciated!

Hi cjd212,

Welcome to the forums.

Is there a way to compile and export the draft (or sections of the draft) directly into PDF form?

As a screenwriter I need to send off pdfs of treatments, outlines, and scripts from time to time. Converting to PDF seems like a simple feature and I'm having a hard time understanding why Storyist wouldn't be able to compile and export into PDF. Perhaps I'm missing something?

You can export PDF versions of a script by choosing File > Print, clicking the PDF button and choosing Save as PDF. Any headers and footers (including page numbering) are included in the PDF. It's pretty much WYSIWYG.

While you could break up your scenes across multiple files if you want to (which seems to be a common approach in Scrivener), it's certainly not necessary. In fact, most Storyist users keeps their script in a single file and use the script outline in the project view to add/arrange/delete scenes as in screenshot below.

Script.png

To recreate the example in the screenshot:

1. Download Big-Fish.fountain from the Fountain website.
  2. Create a new Storyist project from the Blank template.
  3. Drag Big-Fish.fountain to the project view.

I thought I might just export the sections I needed into MS Word and then save the pdf from there (annoying extra step but not a deal breaker) but the compile feature exports the separate sections into separate files (such as Title Page, etc) (annoying and kind of a deal breaker) I've searched the forums and videos but found no answer. Anyone have a suggestion I've missed?

I just answered a similar question at the support address (maybe that was you), but one of the next versions of Storyist for Mac will add PDF and RTF to the eBook export options, which may be what you're looking for.

Also. Is there a simple way to do page breaks?

Page breaks are accomplished by checking the "Paragraph starts on a new page" check box in the style definition. See the Scene Heading and First Scene Heading styles in the Stageplay template for examples.

-Steve

Archived