Storyist Forums

Prettification and personalisation

Narayume

This is likely going to sound stupid, but coming from Scrivener (your awesome iOS support lured me away) this is one of the only things that I miss: The little touches of prettiness. For example bars would fill and slowly turn from red to yellow to green - a coloured goal bar would be amazing. I noted with delight that you sometimes allow for a choice in icons, but a little more choice would really not go amiss. Otherwise you could allow for the user to simply upload their own icons or for the community to allow additional icon sets to be used/added. I'd love being able to personalise things a little more beyond the size and split of my windows. I quite understand if something like this isn't a priority, but as you managed to make us "switchers" feel so welcome, I felt I could at least mention it in case you ever find yourself with a little spare time.

This is likely going to sound stupid, but coming from Scrivener (your awesome iOS support lured me away) this is one of the only things that I miss: The little touches of prettiness. For example bars would fill and slowly turn from red to yellow to green - a coloured goal bar would be amazing. I noted with delight that you sometimes allow for a choice in icons, but a little more choice would really not go amiss. Otherwise you could allow for the user to simply upload their own icons or for the community to allow additional icon sets to be used/added. I'd love being able to personalise things a little more beyond the size and split of my windows. I quite understand if something like this isn't a priority, but as you managed to make us "switchers" feel so welcome, I felt I could at least mention it in case you ever find yourself with a little spare time.

That doesn't sound stupid at all! If that is added, the way to go is an option; to give you the opposite perspective, I wish the look would go even more into the OS X Yosemite "flat monochrome" territory. Don't get me wrong, I like color too, color corkboards and index cards and all the rest are fantastic organizational tools. But I come from the musician/pro audio side of the world, where people can color in their music tracks all kinds of colors, and you end up with projects looking like a candy store or rainbow and it goes from being an organizational tool to distracting. "Gray on gray" may not be the prettiest combination but done right it can be elegant and unobtrusive, and I want my writing tool to basically be feature rich and invisible, giving me the information and features I need without distracting me. So monochrome for me, colors for you, and everyone wins. Except poor Steve, who would have to code it! ;)

Orren

Archived