Storyist Forums

Outline view available on Desktop, but not on Ipad?

roguecamel

Hi,

I am viewing a folder full of storysheets in outline mode on my desktop. I can see the title and the summary.

However, I don't get an option to view this folder as an outline on my ipad.

Am I missing something?

Related to this is a second question.

I am used to creating index cards on Scrivener which feature the title and a summary, which I can then view in the outline mode. What's the easiest way of replicating that on storyist?

I can't seem to add a new index card on the storyboard?? and I can't seem to write a text document that converts to outline that converts to index cards and carries both title and summary in all locations. I get lost in a sea of untitled body text etc. etc.

Any help GREATLY appreciates. Thanks!

C.

Hi roguecamel,

Welcome to the forums!

I am viewing a folder full of storysheets in outline mode on my desktop. I can see the title and the summary.

However, I don't get an option to view this folder as an outline on my ipad.

Am I missing something?

You're not missing anything. The outline view is Mac-only at the moment.

Related to this is a second question.

I am used to creating index cards on Scrivener which feature the title and a summary, which I can then view in the outline mode. What's the easiest way of replicating that on storyist?

You can view cards in outline mode in Storyist using the View > as Outline command.

I can't seem to add a new index card on the storyboard??

To add a card to the storyboard:

1. Switch to storyboard mode (View > as Storyboard).
  2. Select a folder or heading-level text item in the Project view.
  3. Click the add button.

AddingCards.png

and I can't seem to write a text document that converts to outline that converts to index cards and carries both title and summary in all locations. I get lost in a sea of untitled body text etc. etc.

Any help GREATLY appreciates. Thanks!

You're probably very close! Both titles and summaries carry over between modes, and you can switch modes using the various View > as ... commands as well as the icons on the right side of the navigation bar.

Can you post a screenshot showing where you get stuck? You can use the Novel template if you don't want to post screenshots of your WIP.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for the speedy reply. Understood on storysheets only being available in outline mode on the desktop. (Would be a nice future add)

I am getting close to creating the storyboard I want as you said. But I now have a new problem.

Here's how I do it, and get close. I open a blank note on my iPad and type my notes as sections, separated by hastags #s. This converts them to index cards in storyboard view (So far, so good) I have to then manually go in and type the index card title -- I'm sure I'm missing a trick here and could include that in the note itself as I'm writing. But this is not my issue.

I now have a document of text sections which separates out to multiple index cards in storyboard view. Which is what I'm after. I pin the project view and have index cards running down the left column, then have the blank note right as I type, adding new sections. Perfect.

However, now when I open the same project on my desktop Mac. I select the same note in project view and then select storyboard view - but I only get the first index card? I can't see the other index cards anywhere - it's frustrating, and I'm sure I'm being totally stupid. I feel I have tried everything, read and reread the manual.

Is it something to do with enabling outline mode for that blank note? Or something else. If I crack this, I'll have exactly the workflow I'm after.

Thanks again for helping. I'm happy to send a screenshot too, if I work out how to do that :-)

C.

Hi, roguecamel:

Is this the effect you're looking for?

If so, to get this, I set up the workplace as Side by Side Editor View (click on the View button at the top left of the toolbar, choose Side by Side Editor View). Then I clicked on the folder (Places) for the left window and chose View as Storyboard. That gives me all the cards arrayed as index cards. Then I clicked in the right window (active window is the one with the blue bar and white text) and clicked on an individual card.

These are notes, but the same works with section text. Click on a chapter instead of a folder, or if there are no chapters yet, click on the manuscript icon that corresponds to your title. If you're working with section sheets (notes about sections, rather than actual text), then click on the Section Sheets folder instead (mine is called CHAPTER SHEETS, but it contains only one card—I don't work much with section sheets—so it makes a poor example).

If that's not what you'd like to see, please explain more what's missing.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi Marguerite,

Thanks for replying and helping out.

In short - my issue basically is that my Ipad and Mac desktop storyboard views don't match. So far anyway...

Here's the long version.

I use index cards to plot out my story and get a good overview. I like my index cards to have titles and summaries on the 'front' and notes on the 'back. I like to view these index cards on a corkboard / storyboard and to move them around (freeform would be a nice future add here). I also like to view them as an outline with titles and those summaries visible. (And if possible, though not essential, view them as a continuous document with all those notes from the reverse). This was all possible on Scrivener's desktop version. But I'm here, as many others are because they still haven't cracked the ipad / ios version. And I love storyist so far...

Here's how I have got close to achieving what I'm after on storyist.

I have either created a folder full of plot sheets on my desktop, with the summaries from the plot sheet showing up on the index card summary as well - and then showing up in the outline mode too. However - when I open this project / folder full of plot sheets on my ipad - those same index cards don't carry the summaries and don't give me an outline mode option (Steve already explained that this feature isn't yet available for Ipad).

So instead I tried to originate the cards on my ipad instead and see if that would then replicate exactly on my desktop. Sadly, that didn't work wither. Here I created a notebook entry (not a folder) and on that note typed sections separated by a #, when I toggled to storyboard view, these sections showed up as individual index cards. Perfect - I then pin my project view on the left and have the index cards there, and my long note with text sections in the window on the right and keep working. (I have to manually enter my index card titles this way, but no biggie)

But, the real problem is - - when I open this note on my desktop and select it. And then toggle to storyboard view, I no longer get each section on an individual card. Just the first card. All the others are missing?

So in both cases, the storyboard view on Ipad doesn't match the storyboard view on the desktop version.

I know I'm being dumb and missing something simple, but frustratingly can't work it out.

Here's what I'd like to end up with, as I mentioned above. A series of index cards with titles. And summaries below that title (on the front) - and text, notes - call it what you will - attached to the 'back', in my mind at least :-). I'd like to toggle between, and view these index cards in storyboard mode, and also in outline mode - and finally in the text mode AND most importantly mirror that on both my ipad and my desktop.

I'm so close, but frustratingly far :-)

Hope that clarifies my issue, it's hard to explain these things in a forum sometimes. And I apologise for the long winded explanation.

Thanks for helping!

C.

Hi, roguecamel (great user name, by the way),

Thanks for the long version. It was helpful. So you're hoping for something more like this?

The only thing you can't do here is see all the cards simultaneously as text, although you could click open the Hero's Journey folder (in this case) and click through them one by one in text mode, either in the card or outline windows or in a third window.

This is a desktop-only view, as Steve explained. But it does use plot points (from my second novel, already published), so it is closer to what you are working with.

If you did want to see all the plot points displayed simultaneously as text, I think you're out of luck. They are separate RTF files (as they are also in Scrivener, but Scrivener displays separate files differently from Storyist, as I've explained elsewhere). They are combined in the Storyboard and Outline views but not in the Text view.

Best,

M

Hey Marguerite,

Thanks so much for the thorough info, and going out of your way to help.

Yes - that index card and outline split screen you have attached is very close to what I'm after. (I don't actually mind if they are plot points, just that it looks like that). Your set up looks good.

Now - my issue is that when I open that on my iPad, I can't have the outline that you have on the right (as plot sheets don't generate outline on iPad). And The index cards themselves don't carry the summary below the title as they do here in your desktop example. They just don't feature on iPad.

So instead I've been creating multiple index cards on my Ipad, with titles and summaries using one long blank note or novel note separating sections / chapters with a # hashtag. But when I open that note on my desktop, and switch to storyboard view, only one card - the one corresponding to the first section, shows up?? I don't get the same view... this is the very frustrating part. I can't replicate my work from one device to the other. And that should be simple.

I'd love to get your screenshot above working exactly like that, index cards with titles and summaries (that are also available in Outline view with titles and summaries) Mirrored on my iPad. (I don't mind if I have to use plot sheets, blank notes, folder with files, one long note divided into sections, whatever... to achieve that)

I just can't crack that last hurdle.

Thanks again for helping!

C.

Congrats on being published too! :-)

Hi, RC,

I can't help with the iPad part of the problem, because even though I use Storyist on my iPad, I am so acclimated to touch typing that I tend to do only the simplest things on the iPad. Almost all my work in Storyist takes place in the desktop version.

What's tripping you up on the sync is that different types of index cards operate differently in Storyist. The reason is that text and notes can be huge—far larger than an index card can hold. So index card representations of text files (including notes) start out blank, so that the author can fill in a short description of what's in the section. They are not automatically filled with the summary, because there is no summary field in a text file or note. If you use plot points, character sheets, setting sheets, or section sheets instead of notes, the summary fields display automatically on the index cards. That's what you see in my screen shot above.

It's true that you can't yet see an outline view of all the plot point/character/setting cards on the iPad, which is a worthy feature request that a lot of users would probably support. But if you used plot points instead of notes, you would be able to see all the summaries side by side on the desktop version. I guess it depends where you spend the most time and therefore where it makes sense to focus your efforts. Even on the iPad, as soon as you tap an individual sheet, you can see the text on that sheet.

There are reasons why the desktop and iPad versions don't display the same way (screen size, memory, virtual keyboard, etc.), but I do understand the frustration. It's hard to learn one new program, never mind two. It sounds like you're making great progress, though! :)

Best,

M

Thanks Marguerite.

Ok, so can I ask you then, what is the best way to simply create index cards - with title and summary. That's it. That I can view in storyboard mode on my desktop as a series of index cards (scenes, beats) that I can shuffle around to play with the order and edit the summaries on.

And that when I sync my project to iPad - I can also view as index cards there, complete with title and summary (scenes, beats) that I can shuffle around. Nothing more, nothing less.

Surely that is possible?

I appreciate you don't know iPpad, but you sound like you might know a lot more than me. And that functionality must be possible? As I said earlier I don't care how I achieve that or whether I originate the card on iPad or desktop, be it using plot points (By the way plot point summaries do show up on index cards on the desktop storyboard view, but NOT on iPad storyboard view) or by using notes, style sheets, index cards themselves, one long note. I don't mind how I get there, I'd just like to mirror the index card view (title and summaries) on iPad and Desktop. Is that, to your - or anyone who might be reading this - knowledge, possible or not?

All the best and thanks again, you've been a huge help.

C.

Hi roguecamel,

Thanks Marguerite.

Ok, so can I ask you then, what is the best way to simply create index cards - with title and summary. That's it. That I can view in storyboard mode on my desktop as a series of index cards (scenes, beats) that I can shuffle around to play with the order and edit the summaries on.

And that when I sync my project to iPad - I can also view as index cards there, complete with title and summary (scenes, beats) that I can shuffle around. Nothing more, nothing less.

Surely that is possible?

It is. Try this:

1. Create a new project from the Novel or Screenplay template in Storyist for iOS.
  2. Open the project and navigate to the manuscript or script.
  3. Tap the Cards button in the toolbar (the one with the four rectangles) to see the storyboard.
  4. Add a few cards.
  5. Switch back to the text view and note that sections or scenes have been added that match the cards.
  6. Return to the Storyist home screen and let your edits sync to the cloud (assuming you're using iCloud or Dropbox).
  7. Open the project in Storyist for Mac and click on the manuscript or script in the Project view.
  8. Choose View > as Storyboard.

You'll see your cards and can edit or rearrange them from there.

Note that in Storyist, most writers keep their manuscript or script in a single file rather than spread out across multiple files. If your project is set up with the manuscript in multiple files with a card only for the file, not for the chapters and scenes in the file, you won't see the card information in Storyist for iOS.

-Steve

Hi, RC,

I can't help with the iPad part of the problem, because even though I use Storyist on my iPad, I am so acclimated to touch typing that I tend to do only the simplest things on the iPad. Almost all my work in Storyist takes place in the desktop version.

<Snip>

M

Hi Marguerite,

Just so you know, Logitech makes a magnetically attached keyboard that is as thin as the iPad and connects via BlueTooth. (It's important to match the keyboard to the model of iPad.) One can pop it off, slip the iPad into the slot so it stands up like a little monitor, and touch type very nicely. (You can do impossibly long text messages too! :) ) It adds very little to the thickness and weight of the iPad and functions as a cover. It's much more streamlined than the other cover/keyboards., and it's decent to touch type on. It will also connect with your phone though I've only used that feature once just to try it. (I had to have a touch type keyboard for my iPad - I learned to type in 8th grade on a big old Smith Corona manual with blank keys. That was in 1955. Been touch typing since.)

Logitech makes a second BlueTooth keyboard that is full size which supports the iPad like it was a monitor. I bought the bigger one because the store didn't have the smaller one. I've written several chapters on it. I will probably get the smaller one for convenience when I'm traveling. (This iMac keyboard is great. I can type like crazy on it.)

MS-WORD is available free for the iPad. I installed it as soon as the keyboard arrived. At the time I was doing all my writing on the PC and WORD was the only formatted file that was 'universal'. I now have Storyist on the iPad but haven't done anything with it yet.

Fitch

MS-WORD is available free for the iPad.

Without an Office 365 account, however, it is a free reader. If you wish to edit documents, you'll need the MS subscription. (which I have, BTW, and I think $99 for unlimited storage, mobile editing, and 5 installs is quite fair).

Orren

Fitch,

Thanks for the info about the Logitech keyboard. That's good to know. I do have a wireless keyboard that came with my iMac (I still use the older keyboard with the iMac itself because in addition to the touch-typing I find the numeric keyboard much faster than the line of numbers across the top--although maybe if my cats weren't always waltzing on the pull-out tray and threatening to break it off, I wouldn't :D). It's just that the iPad is for curling up on the couch with a book, whereas my iMac is for work, including writing. And part of that is laziness, because I have been using desktop Storyist since 2007 and am totally comfortable with it.

If you decide the $99 for Office 365 is too much of a pain, try Documents to Go. It cost $15 a couple of years ago and reads and writes basic Office files without a hitch. It's much better than Pages, which mucks up the formatting something dreadful. You can even download a free desktop app that helps with the syncing.

But now you have Storyist, so what more do you need? ;)

roguecamel, glad I could helpand that Steve solved your problem!

Best,

M

Without an Office 365 account, however, it is a free reader. If you wish to edit documents, you'll need the MS subscription. (which I have, BTW, and I think $99 for unlimited storage, mobile editing, and 5 installs is quite fair).

Orren

Hi Orren,

I have free MS-WORD on my iPad, recently down loaded from Microsoft. It recognizes the drop box for file moving from the PC or MAC, and it allows me to edit MS-WORD files on the iPad. No subscription required. With the bluetooth keyboard, I have the whole screen available for either WORD or Storyist. Much better use of the screen than the normal keyboard.

I have the $100 version of Office 2011 on this Mac. No subscription. It works just fine.

Fitch

Hi Orren,

I have free MS-WORD on my iPad, recently down loaded from Microsoft. It recognizes the drop box for file moving from the PC or MAC, and it allows me to edit MS-WORD files on the iPad. No subscription required.

I was surprised, so I did a little digging. I guess Microsoft made it free around November: http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/6/7163789/microsoft-office-free-for-ipad-iphone-android

FWIW, if you use Office apps every day as I do for my job, it's worth the $99/year anyway. But it's cool that they're giving away Office for iPad!

Orren

I was surprised, so I did a little digging. I guess Microsoft made it free around November: http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/6/7163789/microsoft-office-free-for-ipad-iphone-android

FWIW, if you use Office apps every day as I do for my job, it's worth the $99/year anyway. But it's cool that they're giving away Office for iPad!

Orren

Hi Orren,

Yeah, the timing was magnificent. I looked in January and it had just showed up a couple of months earlier. I love it when that happens.

I've been retired for 11 years (as of first week in June) from a 35 year career as an Aerospace Engineer (Rockwell International > Boeing). It was a time of radical transition in the workplace. When I started, there were no PC's, pocket calculators or copy machines. I wrote on a typewriter, used a slide rule, Curta (hand held 4 function hand crank mechanical calculator), and a Frieden (big noisy electric powered mechanical 4 function calculator). Computer analysis was done by submitting decks of cards, or sitting in an incredibly noisy room interfacing with the GE440 timeshare machine using mechanical teletype equipment - the noise in those rooms left me with my ears ringing. My program storage was punched paper tape. Runs were submitted and results came back the next morning. My secretary typed my reports onto ditto masters for reproduction. Internal letters the same. Everything outside the company went by snail mail. Little known fact, data bases were invented to track the parts for the Apollo Moon launch program.

Beginning shortly after the introduction of Windows 3.0, my employer made it possible for us to have all the same SW on our home PC's as we had on our work PC's. Since I've retired, Having something familiar that works with the file format I need, is important, but it needn't be the latest and greatest. I need MS-WORD because all my beta readers use it and comment using the change tracking feature. I like EXCEL because I've used it for decades.

The one time fee 2011 version of office works for me. Heck, I was fine with the version of Office we were using in 2004. So does the free version of WORD on the iPad. I read about it on the MS site but it was downloaded from iTunes. The copy of office was researched on the MS site but purchased through Amazon because it was cheaper.

Both Storyist and WORD, on the iPad, are much better with an external bluetooth keyboard. Storyist benefits more than WORD from the external keyboard because of the need to use it in landscape mode where the on-screen keyboard covers up a lot of the screen. The external keyboard brought Storyist on the iPad to life for me.

Fitch

Hi Fitch,

Storyist benefits more than WORD from the external keyboard because of the need to use it in landscape mode where the on-screen keyboard covers up a lot of the screen. The external keyboard brought Storyist on the iPad to life for me.

You can use Storyist in portrait mode if you want.

And both Storyist and Word use the same system keyboard. Turn off Storyist's extended keyboard (Tools > View > Extended Keyboard), and you'll find that they're exactly the same.

-Steve

Archived