Storyist Forums

A question on headers and footers

rpkraul

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere. I did a search, but the results seem to be several years old.

Anyway, is it possible to do a different first page header/footer for each chapter? It seems that the header/footer settings are geared toward a file, which would seem to include the entire manuscript--unless, of course, I've set up my project incorrectly. In a nutshell, I do not want headers on the first page of a chapter. Most printed novels, at least the ones I've read, do not have headers on the first page of each chapter. Would I simply need to have a separate file for each chapter?

I like what Storyist offers and would like to use the program in conjunction with Ulysses. Ulysses is a great writing program, but I don't know that it excels as a note/structuring program. That's more Scrivener functionality, obviously, but I gave up on Scrivener sometime during version 2.X because the interface became, well ... convoluted. I think Ulysses and Storyist would work beautifully together.

Hi, rpkraul, and welcome to the forums,

As far as I know, you can't currently set a different header for each chapter opening in Storyist. You're right that printed books don't include page headers on chapter openers, only page numbers in the footers. But Storyist was originally designed (at least, this is my impression) to produce print manuscripts in standard formats for submission to agents or publishers, not for final print output. It would make a great feature request.

You can keep your title page from having a page header by making it a separate file.

In the meantime, you can get your manuscript exactly as you like it, then export it to RTF, read it into Word or Open Office, and work with the CreateSpace templates to produce the typeset file you need. It's a bit hairy—InDesign, which I use, is much easier to work with but also much more expensive—but it can be done.

Don't put each chapter in a separate file. Storyist is much easier to work with if all the parts of the manuscript are in one document. It's different from Scrivener in that respect.

Best,

Marguerite

Storyist was originally designed (at least, this is my impression) to produce print manuscripts in standard formats for submission to agents or publishers, not for final print output. It would make a great feature request.

To add to this:

While I certainly understand the drive for a "one stop shop" application that can do everything you want to do, there's a place in the world for specialized apps that can really do something well. That applies both to Storyist, as an excellent research/organization/brainstorming/manuscript tool, and to desktop publishing applications like Adobe InDesign. I lay my books out in InDesign; it gives you full layout options for facing pages (so you could have you book title on one page, your author name on another page, or whatever), the ability to make custom master pages, full typesetting controls, professional print output options as well as eBook options, and so on. Sure, Storyist can add layout design features, but it will never be InDesign. And InDesign can add manuscript features, but it will never be Storyist. And that's not a bad thing.

Orren

To add to this:

While I certainly understand the drive for a "one stop shop" application that can do everything you want to do, there's a place in the world for specialized apps that can really do something well. That applies both to Storyist, as an excellent research/organization/brainstorming/manuscript tool, and to desktop publishing applications like Adobe InDesign. I lay my books out in InDesign; it gives you full layout options for facing pages (so you could have you book title on one page, your author name on another page, or whatever), the ability to make custom master pages, full typesetting controls, professional print output options as well as eBook options, and so on. Sure, Storyist can add layout design features, but it will never be InDesign. And InDesign can add manuscript features, but it will never be Storyist. And that's not a bad thing.

Orren

Hi Orren,

I clicked that I liked your post, but apparently my quota for 'Likes' is zero because I got an error message (could give a guy a negative attitude, not being allowed to like things).

Anyway, I liked it!

Fitch

Hi Orren,

I clicked that I liked your post, but apparently my quota for 'Likes' is zero because I got an error message (could give a guy a negative attitude, not being allowed to like things).

Anyway, I liked it!

Fitch

Thanks! :)

Orren

Archived