Storyist Forums

Synching files on a Mac

kaneradar

Hello,

I'm a journalist. I'm considering buying Storyist because I always wanted something like Pages but with a folder tree on the left-hand side. Storyist seems to fit the bill.

Using the trial, I'm having some trouble figuring out how synching works. I'm not interested in synching with iOS; I will do the bulk of my writing on a single Mac, but need to be able to make emergency edits of rich text files in a browser on other PCs (for example, in an internet cafe).

The only way that this looks achievable is to manually export files each time I want to save into Dropbox. This is clunky. Is there any way of a Project automatically saving like Pages, or Evernote?

Many Thanks

K

Hi K,

You can keep your project in Dropbox if you want. Dropbox will sync the files automatically.

If you're running Yosemite, you could also keep your files in the Storyist folder in your iCloud Drive folder and let iCloud keep your files in sync across devices.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the help. I've dropped the project file into my Dropbox folder, but there doesn't seem to be any way to edit the text files on another computer without downloading Storyist (and opening the project file).

The alternate way seems to be to export the entire project into dropbox, which gives me an editable text file (which I need), however there doesn't seem to be a way to open that project in the absence of a project file.

Is it the case that you either have a project file, which can be synched for two (or more) Macs to work on), or export the project as folders and files but not have a main project file?

Thanks

Hi kaneradar,

Yes, that is correct. Storyist projects are collections of text files, story sheets, and images, and you can sync the projects seamlessly between devices. You can also export individual files if you want and have Dropbox or iCloud sync those files instead of the project. However, you lose the project features (search, linking) if you do that.

-Steve

Archived