Storyist Forums

What do you listen to?

codemer

Seriously? It might. Some of these guys are in denial over their situation.

I had a friend in college who lived in a deep dark depression. Spent most of his time watching Anime and listening to Japanese music (was even learning Japanese). I think it was because he wanted to be happy like that.

When he started acting suicidal, I sought out help, and sure he never talked to me again after being in lock down, but I think it was the right thing to do.

When I went through my own dark period, I tended to watch a lot of Anime too. Hrmm... come to think of it, maybe it was the anime that made me feel dark.

Okay, I don't know where I was going with this now.

This could reflect a deeper, darker problem. :P

Do you have the time to listen to me whine about nothing and everything all at once?

IF

I had a friend in college who lived in a deep dark depression. Spent most of his time watching Anime and listening to Japanese music (was even learning Japanese). I think it was because he wanted to be happy like that.

When he started acting suicidal, I sought out help, and sure he never talked to me again after being in lock down, but I think it was the right thing to do.

When I went through my own dark period, I tended to watch a lot of Anime too. Hrmm... come to think of it, maybe it was the anime that made me feel dark.

Okay, I don't know where I was going with this now.

I think you did the right thing, Isaac. I was in multiple amputee rehab and I completely understood what those other guys and gals were going through. There's a period where you're in denial but eventually realize that it ain't never growing back. Then it gets really dark when you figure that the decreased capacity means your life as you knew it is over. That's when we feel a little suicidal. I was lucky enough to have professional PTs around me at all times. Many others are not. Then you have to face the wheelchair question. The chair makes you invisible to some people and the object of pity to others. The first type are annoying but the second can get you killed with inappropriate kindness. I could go on (e.g., I can't use the NYC subways anymore.) but I think you get the idea: at times you need serious cheering up. That's why I understand the attraction to childishly upbeat anime, as well as the dark, somewhat perverse anime. But sometimes it's just a mask for a descending spiral, like with your friend.

Do you have the time to listen to me whine about nothing and everything all at once?

I'm a voracious reader, Isaac. If you can type it I can read it.

Nothing and everything all at once?

Very Zen.

-Thoth.

That's why I understand the attraction to childishly upbeat anime, as well as the dark, somewhat perverse anime. But sometimes it's just a mask for a descending spiral, like with your friend.

I think Steve will have to create a Psych Cases group for us. :P

I'm a voracious reader, Isaac. If you can type it I can read it.

Nothing and everything all at once?

That question was a quote of the first line of Basket Case by Green Day.

I do try to somewhat restrain myself from spilling everything online, since I know it will come back to bite me in 10 or 20 years. Once it's online, it never goes away.

IF

I think Steve will have to create a Psych Cases group for us. ;)

Too true. :P

That question was a quote of the first line of Basket Case by Green Day.

Clearly I must add some Green Day to my collection. Any suggestions besides Basket Case?

I do try to somewhat restrain myself from spilling everything online, since I know it will come back to bite me in 10 or 20 years. Once it's online, it never goes away.

You may wish to hold off your bid for the Presidency until after the Great Electromagnetic Pulse War expected in 2020. (Hint. Stock up on canned goods and ammo.)

Once again we steer off topic.

-Thoth.

Clearly I must add some Green Day to my collection. Any suggestions besides Basket Case?

Here are my favorites in no particular order:

Governator

I Fought the Law (yes, remake)

When I come around

Walking Contradiction

American Idiot

She

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Wake Me Up When September Ends (based on Hurricane Katrina, I think)

Shoplifter (Winona?)

Desensitized

Holiday

Pulling Teeth

You may wish to hold off your bid for the Presidency until after the Great Electromagnetic Pulse War expected in 2020. (Hint. Stock up on canned goods and ammo.)

Oh, I'd never have a chance at being president. Too smart. :P

Once again we steer off topic.

I blame fluctuations in the Earth's gravity caused by microscopic black holes created by back yard particle colliders.

IF

Here are my favorites in no particular order:

Governator

I Fought the Law (yes, remake)

When I come around

Walking Contradiction

American Idiot

She

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Wake Me Up When September Ends (based on Hurricane Katrina, I think)

Shoplifter (Winona?)

Desensitized

Holiday

Pulling Teeth

Oh, I'd never have a chance at being president. Too smart. :P

I blame fluctuations in the Earth's gravity caused by microscopic black holes created by back yard particle colliders.

Thank you for the list. I'm off to iTunes.

Searching for the Higgs boson with my table-top Very Large Hadron Collider.

I'll get you you rascally Higgs Boson!

-Thoth

Archived