Storyist Forums

Migrating projects to new computer

Zareh

Hey fellow storyists,

I know you all know the answer to this: I just got a new computer, and need to migrate my Storyist projects from my old machine to this one. What's the best way to do this?

Many thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Z.

Hi, Zareh,

The answer depends on your computer setup. A Storyist project is a single zipped file, so all you need to do is copy it. If you have all the projects in one folder, even if they are in subfolders, you can drag and drop the whole thing onto your new machine. Otherwise, you need to copy the folders in groups or one by one depending on where you have them stored. If you keep the files on Dropbox, set up the Dropbox account on your new computer and they will appear. I assume iCloud works in a similar way, but I don't use it, so I can't advise on the specifics. If you have a Time Machine backup, you can restore the files from there.

The Storyist app is also a single file, so you can copy it or restore it by one of the same methods or re-download it from the Storyist site. You may have to re-enter your license code and adjust your preferences, but that is all. Templates and backups are stored in the Library/Application Support/Storyist folder inside your user folder; Apple started hiding it in 10.7, but you can find it by choosing Go to Folder from the Go menu in the Finder and typing ~/Library/Application Support/Storyist.

Hope that helps,

Marguerite

Archived