Storyist Forums

Epub successes dashed by sudden failure with no images

tburnard

I have so far, using MS Word and Calibre, managed to convert 4 stories to Epub which transfer successfully to Kindle, Galaxy Tablet and Iphone 4S. My latest effort using all the same protocols has failed. The text came through the process OK but not the images. I tried using EPUB Validator to zero in on the error report it produced (IDPF/epubcheck Wiki.GitHub), but am totally snowed by what it says with all the different error descriptions. There are 102 images (Gif & Jpeg) adding up to 11.7 Mb. I thought the file size might be the problem but one of my successful books had 62 images adding up to 11.8 Mb so I discounted that. Can anyone help me here?

Hi, tburnard, and welcome to the forums:

Sorry, I'm confused. Are you exporting to ePub from Storyist and having these problems? Usually the images transfer just fine.

If you are really working only with Word and Calibre, there may be someone here who has experience doing that, but this is a Storyist forum. If you are exporting from Storyist to Word and Calibre, try going directly to ePub. You will probably have better results.

Personally, I hate the way Word handles images and avoid dealing with it as much as possible. Its e-book conversion (via HTML) also leaves much to be desired.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi Marguerite,

Thanks for your prompt reply and I realise now that I probably joined the wrong forum for my particular post. As often is the case a solution can often be found by oneself after flagging the problem. That is what happened here, I deduced that if the text was not the problem then obviously it had to be something to do with the images. I had no problem with images in my previuos Epubs so there must be something different about this last lot. Indeed there was! I had too many images taking up large proportions of the page. As soon as I reduced the offending large ones the problem disappeared and I successfully produced another illustrated Epub story. Anyway I am interested in your preference for Storyist, maybe I should look at what it can offer me as an alternative to my present routine with Word and Calbre. Could you give me a link to where on the site it gives a detailed instruction on its use or maybe a tutorial?

Cheers

Tom Burnard

Hi, Tom,

You can find out all about Storyist and download a demo version that's fully functional for 30 days, if you're interested, at the company website. Manuals are available in various formats, including e-formats that include images, under the Support tab. And tutorials are free to watch on the HowTo page.

In brief, I use only limited images in my actual published novels, but I have tons in my working files, both as mental prompts for characters and settings and for reference (maps, e.g.). I can display them side-by-side with the text, and I often do. I can drag them into the manuscript, if I wish, or keep them in separate notes and include them in the finished file.

But the main things I love in Storyist that are missing or more difficult in Word are the organizational features: the ability to keep notes on my characters and settings, to track character arcs, to outline an entire plot or sections of it, to drag chapters and sections into new places in the manuscript and have Storyist instantaneously reorder everything, and so on.

File import is as easy as dragging an RTF file into the project outline, and export (to ePub, MOBI, or styled RTF, which Word can read) takes no more than a few clicks. In the absolute last stage, for publication, I do use other programs. But until then, my novels are created in Storyist and stay there throughout their lives, except for the occasional export so that others can read them in Word or I can check them on my tablet.

There is also an iPad app (separate purchase) that syncs with the desktop version. Some people love that and use it exclusively; I cut my eye teeth on the desktop version, though, so I use that most of the time and save the iPad for off-the-cuff corrections and the occasional trip.

Best,

Marguerite

Archived