Storyist Forums

My first novel template

Stefano

Hi. I'm a new Mac Storyist user. I'm trying to create a customized novel template, but I don't have idea about to set a common markup layout (like margin, orientation, etc.). In right row I see "No format inspector". How I can to set a new one across entire novel? I also would like the possibility to rename a template previously created. Thanks in advance. (Sorry for my bad English, I'm still learning it)

MyNovelTemplate.story

Hi Stefano,

Welcome to the forums.

The format inspector appears when you select a text file (not a folder). See the attached screenshot.

FormatInspector.png

To set up your template:

1. Edit the text styles to reflect your formatting preferences.
  2. Save the text file as a template using the File > Save as Template command. That way, the settings will be as you like them the next time you create a text file.

From your current template, it looks like you're trying to organize your manuscript into separate text files. Most Storyist users keep their chapters and sections in a single text file and use a heading-level style (like Chapter Title) to mark the chapter boundaries. Here is a screenshot. (See the Novel project template for details.)

NovelTemplate.png

If you do want to keep your chapters in separate files, you'll want to use text files instead of folders. See the below:

Chapters.png

There is a downside to doing it this way, and that is that while you can assemble the separate files into an ePub or Kindle edition, you can't currently assemble them into a single PDF or text file/

-Steve

Archived