Storyist Forums

samanthajadee

Hi,

I just downloaded the NaNoWriMo trial version of storyist for Mac to use for this year's NaNoWriMo under the hopes that I'll be able to win this year and use 50% off to officially purchase it. However, to get the most out of it I bought the ipad/iphone IOS version so when I'm not at home I can still work on my project. I did this under the belief that this version would be able to sync with my Mac and anything I write on my iphone or ipad would sync with my mac easily. However, nothing i write on my iphone or ipad will sync to my macbook. They'll show up in each other's programs, (If I write something on the ipad it shows up on the iphone immediately). Why won't it do the same thing for my macbook? I'm using iCloud so I'd think if it reads the updates on the iCloud for the iphone or ipad the macbook should too since iCloud connects them all? Does it not work this way with the NaNoWriMo edition? I really need help as I'm getting extremely frustrated and haven't been able to get it to work for hours now. I was hoping Storyist would make this a breeze but instead it's been far more frustrating and more of a nightmare if I'm being honest. I'm about to just give up and go back to Scrivener if I can't even use this ipad app I didn't have money for but bought anyways in the hopes of it being as amazing as I've heard.

Hi samanthajadee,

It sounds like sync is working on your devices. It should work fine with the NaNoWriMo edition on your Mac too. Here are some things to check:

1. Make sure you've set up your devices to use iCloud, not Dropbox to sync. You can check by tapping the More (...) button on the Storyist home screen.
  2. Make sure your Mac is signed in to the same iCloud account as your device is.
  3. Make sure you've upgraded your iCloud account to iCloud Drive.
  4. Check the Storyist folder in your iCloud Drive folder for your files. iCloud creates this folder when you set up iCloud on one of your devices. If you created this folder yourself, try deleting the folder (after saving a copy of any contents) and let iCloud recreate it.
  5. If all of the above looks correct, try creating a new file in Storyist for Mac and saving it in the Storyist folder in your iCloud Drive folder. This should cause a sync to occur, and you should see the new file on your devices. Your other files should sync then too.

If none of the above seems to work for you, send a quick email to support@storyist.com with info about the Storyist and OS X versions you're using and we'll investigate.

-Steve

Archived