Storyist Forums

Where did my chapters go?

OhDebs

I am so frustrated. I just did a couple of undos and now all of my chapters are gone. When I go back to the last saved version (last night) it is no different than just now when all the chapters have disappeared. I am finding this more and more frustrating to work with and may have to give up on it. There is just not enough information on how to do things.

Here's what happened (to the best of my frustrated recollection) All I wanted to do was to create a new style. That did not work as I expected so I did several undos. That style I created is still there but now everything has become one long text with no separate chapters.

Will someone PLEASE with do some videos on how to use this application or put out a Dummies book?

I really want to like it but I guess I might just be too stupid to get how things work. Nothing seems to work consistently and it is still freezing and lagging.

Another thing that I find frustrating is importing from Word.

I will stop complaining now and hope that I am not the only one with these issues.

Hi OhDebs,

Did you create a heading-level style or a body text style?

Chapters are defined by heading-level styles. For example, the Chapter Title style in the Novel template has a heading level of 1.

If the text is still there but "has become one long text with no separate chapters," it sounds like a non-heading level style was applied to the text. Could that have happened when you created a new style?

If so, just apply the Chapter Title (or equivalent style) to your chapter titles, and the chapters will appear in the outline again. The Format > Style > Apply Styles by Matching Text command can help with this.

I'd be happy to take a look at your project for you.

-Steve

Thanks Steve,

I left it alone for awhile since I was so frustrated. When I came back and looked at it again I noticed that when I went back and reapplied the styles, the chapters came back. What a pain though. I am finding this so hard to figure out.

What I wanted to do (and now I am afraid) is to create a style to use that has an indent. The story has several places in it that have letters to people in it. I want to set that off from the regular margins with an indent.

I will see if I can figure this out on my own and if not maybe you can take a look and see if I have totally messed it up. Also, is there a way to import styles into a new document?

Thanks so much. Like I said, I have a love/hate relationship with this!

Deb

Just found (in the manual--duh) how to import styles from another storyist doc. I was so excited until I tried it and "Import Styles" is grayed out. I know you are tired of hearing from me but any idea why this is happening? I feel like Storyist is out to get me but I still like it--how crazy is that?

Hi OhDebs,

I'm guessing you weren't in a text file when you tried to use the command. Just position the cursor in the manuscript into which you want to import the styles and choose Format > Style > Import Styles.

You'll be able to choose from Storyist projects and RTF files. Note that for historical reasons, when importing styles from Storyist projects, the style importer will choose the manuscript. If you want the styles from another file, export it as an RTF file first.

-Steve

BTW, I'm certainly not tired of hearing from you! Happy to help. :)

Archived