Storyist Forums

Problems Importing

IvyRose

I am trying to import an existing document from Word into Storyist. I exported the Word file into .RTF, then dragged it into the Project view. For whatever reason, when I do this that part of the document turns into a "Notebook" template, instead of the "Novel" template that I had selected. Therefore, I cannot add "Chapter" segments to the project.

What am I doing wrong?

I can supply screen shots if anyone wants to see.

Hi Ivy,

When importing an RTF file, Storyist uses the stylesheet from the RTF file. If there is no stylesheet in the file (which should not be the case with a file exported from Word), it then applies the default stylesheet.

You can change stylesheets to the Novel style sheet using the Format > Style > Change Stylesheet > Novel Stylesheet command.

Can you post a screenshot of the styles list?

-Steve

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your speedy reply.

I am new to the program so I don't know exactly what the styles list is or what it means. However, I followed your instructions in both my imported manuscript and in the "Novel" template. I must have done something wrong though, as it didn't let me change anything.

This is the imported manuscript:
post-7020-0-80726900-1455066502_thumb.png

This is the default that I edited slightly (within the same project, different section):

post-7020-0-17772700-1455066506_thumb.png

Hi Ivy,

So your text was imported and it looks like you've now changed the stylesheet to the Novel stylesheet. Great. You're just about there.

You'll probably also want to edit the outline template so that "Chapter" and "Section" appear in the add menu and create the appropriately styled text. You can do that from the File Info inspector, as shown below:

EditingTheOutlineTemplate.png

-Steve

Archived