Storyist Forums

Help for a german writer please!!

hemingway

Hallo Storyist-fans,

I am a writer from Germany and i have tested and then buyed this great software!!!

But now I have a problem with the manuscript "Novel". This is very great, but in Germany, the Agents and Lektors want to receive the text with

30 lines per page. I have tried to change the manuscript from 25 lines to 30 lines, but i can t change it for this.

Can someone help me?

Thank you very much.

(I hope, my english is good enough to explain my problem because i am not very good in english langauge.

comes this great software in the future with german language? this wouldt be great!!!!

Harald Nyssen

haraldnyssen@redaktion-social.de

Hallo Storyist-fans,

I am a writer from Germany and i have tested and then buyed this great software!!!

But now I have a problem with the manuscript "Novel". This is very great, but in Germany, the Agents and Lektors want to receive the text with

30 lines per page. I have tried to change the manuscript from 25 lines to 30 lines, but i can t change it for this.

Can someone help me?

Thank you very much.

(I hope, my english is good enough to explain my problem because i am not very good in english langauge.

comes this great software in the future with german language? this wouldt be great!!!!

Harald Nyssen

Hi, Harald:

Welcome to the forums.

I was hoping Steve Shepard (the developer of Storyist) would answer this, as he knows exactly what the program can do, but until he does, here are two things to try.

First, you are probably using A4 paper, right? So choose File/Page Setup and make sure Storyist knows that. That in itself may fix the problem.

If it does not, then check the Format menu. There should be an option to Format the Page, where you can adjust the margins. There may also be a Format/Text/Spacing option, where you can tell Storyist how much space to put between lines. If those don't fix the number of lines per page, try clicking on a paragraph of Section Text, then choosing Format/Style/Edit Current Style. You can then change the settings for the Section Text (which is most of the text in the manuscript).

Once you get the file the way you want it, choose File/Save as Template, and give it a name (Novel30lines, say). Next time you start Storyist, your corrected template will appear in the window.

And do write again if you need more help or any of this is unclear.

Best of luck,

Marguerite

Hallo Storyist-fans,

Can someone help me?

Thank you very much.

Harald Nyssen

Greetings Hemingway and welcome to the Storyist Forum.

I don't think there is any way to specifically limit the number of lines on a page (Steve will have to comment on that) but you can play with the page bottom margin (Format>Page) until you have the number of lines you want. Another approach is to play with the styles (Format>Style>Edit Current Style) to alter the size of the space between lines. If your problem is the space above the chapter heading then you'll want to alter the Chapter Style.

Good luck with your page formatting problem and please let us know how it turns out.

-Thoth.

Hi Hemingway,

Welcome!

Hallo Storyist-fans,

Can someone help me?

Thank you very much.

The easiest way to do this is to change the line spacing for the Section Text style.

If you are using 8 1/2 x 11 pages, try this:

1. Create a new novel from the Novel template.
  2. Place the cursor in some text with the "Section Text" style.
  3. Choose Format > Style > Edit Current Style...
  4. In the "Spacing & Pagination" box, change the line spacing to "At Least 20 pt"
  5. Click OK.

Your manuscript should now have 30 lines per page.

Another way to change the line count is to adjust the margins. If you are using A4 paper, try this:

1. Choose Format > Page...
  2. In the dialog that appears, change the top and bottom margins to 0.75 inches (you probably want to change the header and footer spacing to something reasonable too.

Harald Nyssen

Your English is much better than my German. :lol:

Thanks for your vote for a German translation. This is something I'd like to offer, but I'd want to make sure we can field the support questions too.

-Steve

Hi Hemingway,

I just thought I'd mention that Steve is not only Storyist's creator but its most valuable asset. A true hidden gem in the product. In my experience, you just don't get support this good or this fast from most products.

He's too modest to mention this himself.

-Thoth.

Hello all together,

thank you all very much for the help and for the kindly words.

I will try all this at home in the evening, because i am now at work on a windows pc and my mac is only at home.

I will report than!

It seemed, this forum is a very good adress and i will try to help too, if i can.

Steve, i unterstand very good the problem with the support for geman users. But your software is very great and much better than every other that we can buy in germany for creative writing. I am shure, you will find many users in germany. Perhaps i can help some times in the future? First i must learn "storyist" by myself!

Marguerite and Thoth: Thanks for the help. How long you are using "storyist"?

I wish you all a nice day (nice nights too)

Hemingwy

Hemingwy

I've been working with Storyist for about a year, although it took me a good three months to learn enough about the program to make effective use of it. I think it's wonderful, so hang in there! Explore the "Using Storyist" and "Feature Request" threads when you have time: there are lots of good hints there on ways to make the most of Storyist.

The forums are also a great resource, as well as a fun place to recharge your batteries during writing, and being able to post a message and get a quick response from Steve is, as Thoth mentioned, one of the great advantages to this software program.

Best,

Marguerite

Hello Hemingway.

Like Marguerite, I've been using Storyist for about 15 months. You might have noticed on the Forum several references to different kinds of writers: plotters (who plan out everything before they write) and pantsers* (who just dive in and start writing, figuring things out as they go). While I tend to be a pantser I find that Storyist makes both modes of writing much easier.

Be Well,

-Thoth

*The word "pantser" comes from the notion of "flying by the seat of your pants", or to make decisions as you go along. Click here for the origin of the phrase.

Hello Hemingway.

Like Marguerite, I've been using Storyist for about 15 months. You might have noticed on the Forum several references to different kinds of writers: plotters (who plan out everything before they write) and pantsers* (who just dive in and start writing, figuring things out as they go). While I tend to be a pantser I find that Storyist makes both modes of writing much easier.

Be Well,

-Thoth

*The word "pantser" comes from the notion of "flying by the seat of your pants", or to make decisions as you go along. Click here for the origin of the phrase.

BTW, the originator of the term "pantser" itself—or at least the person from whom I first heart it—is a writer named Geri Krotow.

M

BTW, the originator of the term "pantser" itself—or at least the person from whom I first heart it—is a writer named Geri Krotow.

Um, right. I should have mentioned that it was Marguerite (a.k.a. the illustrious Lady M) who first brought the word (not the phrase) to the Forum.

Apologies.

-Thoth.

P.S. "A Rendezvous To Remember", from the Harlequin Everlasting Love series--that Geri Krotow?

Um, right. I should have mentioned that it was Marguerite (a.k.a. the illustrious Lady M) who first brought the word (not the phrase) to the Forum.

Apologies.

-Thoth.

P.S. "A Rendezvous To Remember", from the Harlequin Everlasting Love series--that Geri Krotow?

I'll answer this in Procrastination Station, so we don't get moved again. M

Hello all,

Ok, its done, now i have the template with 30 lines per page.

Thank you all for the help.

Now i transform the wordfiles (i hate this "word" since 20 years, but in germany all people writes with it) to storyist and i will start to write my novel completely new.

I will learn the storyist-software fundamentally, because it seemed to be a very good help to organize the plot, the characters and ......all other. And by the way: I learn ENGLISH during the learning time of storyist!! Nice!

I hope to attend the discussion in the forum here, but it is very difficult to understand it all. But i try!!!!!

Greetings from Aachen, Germany

hem

Archived