Storyist Forums

Single sheet entries in Notebook

Thoyd Loki

So, I am starting to takes notes for a new book of mine. I use the Notebook (this is actually my first foray officially writing a full project in Storyist) for the beginning bashing out (who is this? where the hell am I going, oops I'm stuck etc.), and then misc. and scrapes research et. all.

I write voluminously about my project before I start, and I mean a lot. A single entry can scroll for dozens of pages.

Question is this. I got to the bottom of the first page of my first Notebook entry and it would not let me go any further. Is this supposed to be? Do I need to make a new Notebook entry for every page of notes that I may have?

If this is so, I realize that I could use Notebook Groups, which I will use anyway. But this will still be very huge project pane before I even write "It was a dark and stormy night...", also I have to pause to title each new entry or it will sprawl into identically named entries.

I could also just do the heavy note load in a journal program or word processor. And Spaces makes this quite easy to do, I would just rather not separate the team.

Not even dreaming of giving up Storyist. It's not Steve's fault I write more notes than novel!

So, I am starting to takes notes for a new book of mine. I use the Notebook (this is actually my first foray officially writing a full project in Storyist) for the beginning bashing out (who is this? where the hell am I going, oops I'm stuck etc.), and then misc. and scrapes research et. all.

I write voluminously about my project before I start, and I mean a lot. A single entry can scroll for dozens of pages.

Question is this. I got to the bottom of the first page of my first Notebook entry and it would not let me go any further. Is this supposed to be? Do I need to make a new Notebook entry for every page of notes that I may have?

If this is so, I realize that I could use Notebook Groups, which I will use anyway. But this will still be very huge project pane before I even write "It was a dark and stormy night...", also I have to pause to title each new entry or it will sprawl into identically named entries.

I could also just do the heavy note load in a journal program or word processor. And Spaces makes this quite easy to do, I would just rather not separate the team.

Not even dreaming of giving up Storyist. It's not Steve's fault I write more notes than novel!

Hi, Thoyd:

Not sure why you're seeing this, but notes can certainly have more than one page. I have five-page synopses, multi-page character descriptions, all kinds of stuff. I just keep typing and a new page forms. Maybe a setting is off somewhere?

Best,

Marguerite

A notebook entry can be as many pages as you need it to be. If you are not able to write past the first page, something is amiss.

I'd appreciate any information you can offer on how to reproduce what you are seeing (along with Storyist and OS X version info).

A couple questions:

1. What happens when you drag the window a little bit larger (causing the window to redraw)?
  2. What happens when you switch to Normal mode, add some more text, and switch back?
  3. Is there any Storyist-related info in your console log? You can view the console log by launching /Applications/Utilities/Console.app

-Steve

A notebook entry can be as many pages as you need it to be. If you are not able to write past the first page, something is amiss.

I'd appreciate any information you can offer on how to reproduce what you are seeing (along with Storyist and OS X version info).

A couple questions:

1. What happens when you drag the window a little bit larger (causing the window to redraw)?
  2. What happens when you switch to Normal mode, add some more text, and switch back?
  3. Is there any Storyist-related info in your console log? You can view the console log by launching /Applications/Utilities/Console.app

-Steve

I thought that would be too weird to be true.

I resized the window smaller because I had it stretched 132% which fits my entire window minus dock & menu. Then I pounded the return key at the bottom of the same page as last night. Stubbornly after 8 or so hits it granted my 2nd page. It really seemed reluctant to do so.

Once it granted me my second page switching between Normal view and Page Layout made no difference favorably or not as regards the 2nd page.

There is Storyist related info in the Console! Here it is below. Seems relevant. I guess.

4/24/08 3:45:21 AM Storyist[429] View <STRolloverTextView: 0x8b5b460>

Frame = {{90.00, 55.00}, {422.00, 14.00}}, Bounds = {{0.00, 0.00}, {422.00, 14.00}}

Horizontally resizable: NO, Vertically resizable: NO

MinSize = {0.00, 4431940058729446494995218432.00}, MaxSize = {0.00, 0.00}

has 6 views pointing at it that can't be found.

4/24/08 3:45:21 AM Storyist[429] View <STRolloverTextView: 0x8b5f9f0>

Frame = {{90.00, 55.00}, {422.00, 14.00}}, Bounds = {{0.00, 0.00}, {422.00, 14.00}}

Horizontally resizable: NO, Vertically resizable: NO

MinSize = {0.00, 4431940058729446494995218432.00}, MaxSize = {0.00, 0.00}

has 5 views pointing at it that can't be found.

4/24/08 4:39:11 AM com.apple.launchd[69] (com.apple.PubSub.Agent) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

It's almost cute it doesn't like to give me 2nd page... little minx...

Thanks for looking under her hood, guys!

Thoyd

Weird indeed.

It took eight returns to get a second page? Perhaps you weren't really on the bottom. Or perhaps the "little minx" wants to be coaxed. The ladies are like that sometimes. Or there's something wrong with your return key.

I guess Steve should handle this. He's the dapper gentleman with the little minxes at Delmonico's. (An obscure reference, I know.)

-Thoth

I resized the window smaller because I had it stretched 132% which fits my entire window minus dock & menu. Then I pounded the return key at the bottom of the same page as last night. Stubbornly after 8 or so hits it granted my 2nd page. It really seemed reluctant to do so.

This kind of sounds like a worse version of the page scrolling problem I've reported before. In my case, if I typed off the end of the page, the page did not scroll until I scrolled it manually, moved the cursor up and down with the arrows, or typed enough to wrap a couple of lines.

If you continue to type past the end of the page, and then switch to normal view, are you able to see what you typed?

IF

This kind of sounds like a worse version of the page scrolling problem I've reported before. In my case, if I typed off the end of the page, the page did not scroll until I scrolled it manually, moved the cursor up and down with the arrows, or typed enough to wrap a couple of lines.

If you continue to type past the end of the page, and then switch to normal view, are you able to see what you typed?

IF

I think it was at least a version of your page scrolling problem because the text I had tried to enter last night all showed up when I was finally able to get a 2nd page into view. I had closed Storyist after posting the problem last night, when I tried Steve's first suggestion and was able to get a 2nd page, all the text that I couldn't see the night before was there.

So apparently the text existed and was saved, but I couldn't get to it without tweaking the window size. If it happens again I will try the view shift and see what that does.

Thoth,

As the above indicates, I was at the bottom of the page, and 8 returns was only a guess, I also pounded out loads of gibberish trying to get a further down the document, that was the stuff that showed up after resizing revealed the 2nd page.

Steve,

Sorry, I forgot some of the info you asked for. I am using the latest of both Storyist and Leopard (and all other upgrades - kind of a habit). Older eMac, 768MB, don't know what else would be relevant.

Archived