Storyist Forums

Losing section sheets as Chapters get run together

I'm a new user, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I make a chapter or section do some writing in it, and pour a bunch of info into the section sheet. Somewhere along the line my chapter or section gets appended to the section before it, and my section sheet and notes are wiped out. I'm not sure what's going on. I've been having to make duplicate info pages in my notebook because I don't trust the section sheets.

Thanks.

I'm a new user, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I make a chapter or section do some writing in it, and pour a bunch of info into the section sheet. Somewhere along the line my chapter or section gets appended to the section before it, and my section sheet and notes are wiped out. I'm not sure what's going on. I've been having to make duplicate info pages in my notebook because I don't trust the section sheets.

Thanks.

Hi Captain,

A section would be appended to (merged with) the section before it if

• You deleted the section separator (the "#" character) between the sections.
  • You changed text having the Chapter Title style to have the Section Text style.

Storyist should warn you if the action would result in section sheets being deleted. If you're not seeing this warning and section sheets are being deleted, you've found a bug. I'll contact you offline to investigate further.

-Steve

Steve and Captain,

I'm not sure whether I have a similar bug. Just downloaded last night, took a bunch of notes in the Notebook section, saved them, and they are nowhere to be found now. I also had a problem exporting to .doc and sending as e-mail attachments. Will add other problems separately.

Thanks,

profkemp

Hi Captain,

• You changed text having the Chapter Title style to have the Section Text style.

Storyist should warn you if the action would result in section sheets being deleted. If you're not seeing this warning and section sheets are being deleted, you've found a bug. I'll contact you offline to investigate further.

-Steve

Hi profkemp,

I'm not sure whether I have a similar bug. Just downloaded last night, took a bunch of notes in the Notebook section, saved them, and they are nowhere to be found now.

This is likely a different issue. I just sent you an email with my contact info. We can investigate further if you'd like.

I also had a problem exporting to .doc and sending as e-mail attachments.

Are you able to open the exported .doc file with Word or TextEdit? If so, the problem probably lies with the email client.

I'd be happy to take a look at the email if you feel comfortable sending it on to me.

-Steve

Hi Steve-- I'm guessing that that was the case--it was a HUMONGOUS file with 20 attachments, both the exported .docs and various .jpgs.

Checking my email re: other issue now.

Hi profkemp,

This is likely a different issue. I just sent you an email with my contact info. We can investigate further if you'd like.

Are you able to open the exported .doc file with Word or TextEdit? If so, the problem probably lies with the email client.

I'd be happy to take a look at the email if you feel comfortable sending it on to me.

-Steve

Hi Captain,

-Steve

Hi, Captain Marsupial (a great name--what made you think of it?), welcome to the forums.

Section titles are hidden by default, but you can make Storyist show them to you while you're typing and hide them again before printing. Go to the Format menu and choose Manuscript, then Show (or Hide) section titles.

Deleting a section separator is pretty easy, but a big blue underlined section name is harder to miss, so that may help with accidental overwrites.

Good luck,

Marguerite

Archived