Storyist Forums

The Adventures of Comma Boy

Steve

Thanks Steve. Comma Boy has made my day, even though he does use "WTF" in word balloons. I mean, who actually says "WTF"? I'm inspired to design a MUCK for editors (EdiMuck?) where they can combat naughty grammatical errors and compete to win the fabled RED PENCIL. This will be SO huge.

Calming down.

-Thoth.

Thanks Steve. Comma Boy has made my day, even though he does use "WTF" in word balloons. I mean, who actually says "WTF"? I'm inspired to design a MUCK for editors (EdiMuck?) where they can combat naughty grammatical errors and compete to win the fabled RED PENCIL. This will be SO huge.

Calming down.

-Thoth.

Yes, thanks, Steve. I needed a laugh after hours of entering mind-numbingly trivial corrections (nuke those double spaces! die, comma splices, die! where's a good semicolon when you need it?) :lol:

Best,

Marguerite

If you're looking for a good writing-related laugh, check out Keith Cronin's Adventures of Comma Boy comic.

Interesting, but I guess I'm just a code monkey and will have to stick with Dilbert and XKCD.

If you love grammar, though, see if you can beat my whopping 30% score on the lunch time grammar test:

http://mentalfloss.com/quiz/quiz.php?p=1&q=329

Good luck!

IF

Interesting, but I guess I'm just a code monkey and will have to stick with Dilbert and XKCD.

Anyone interested in a Dilbert Personality Test? It's supposed to tell you which Dilbert character you're most like. Yeah, I know. If you don't follow the strip or didn't see the short lived TV series then what's the point?

How about the (self-proclaimed) webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language: XKCD? I'm not sure about the "language" part but they have my vote for the other three. Good stuff. Nice find, Isaac.

Hey, it's on topic! I just can't think of why at the moment.

Anyone interested in a Dilbert Personality Test? It's supposed to tell you which Dilbert character you're most like. Yeah, I know. If you don't follow the strip or didn't see the short lived TV series then what's the point?

I'm Asok. Yikes!

How about the (self-proclaimed) webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language: XKCD? I'm not sure about the "language" part but they have my vote for the other three. Good stuff. Nice find, Isaac.

Yeah, the language is like what you'll hear a lot in my $#@!ing profession. If you understand these, you can be in my posse. :D

http://xkcd.com/184/

http://xkcd.com/215/

http://xkcd.com/378/

http://xkcd.com/424/

And for Marguerite: http://xkcd.com/370/

(Btw, I'm almost finished reading it.)

IF

I'm Asok. Yikes!

You think that's bad? I'm Catbert !

Yeah, the language is like what you'll hear a lot in my $#@!ing profession. If you understand these, you can be in my posse. :D

424 - It boggles my tiny mind that anyone would voluntarily, and without pay, sort through Debian's 283 million (yes million!) lines of code to route out a single bug. On a different note, back in the late-90s I got into a heated argument over Independence Day. Just how could David Levinson (Jeff Goldblum's character) hack into an alien mother-ship's computer? And upload a compatible virus? We concluded that there must have been an English language tech manual in the captured ship's glove compartment.

378 - Damn the Butterfly effect. Real programmers just let the drive sit and wait patiently until background radiation flips the desired bits. Real programmer managers just cut & paste from the Project Plan to the Accomplishments Statement and declare a victory.

215 - Didn't get this one. Sorry. I guess I can't be in your posse. :D

184 - As an ex-teacher of discrete mathematics I would have gotten the joke (drawing the rotational matrix sideways) but would still have taken off points. After grading papers all night you're in no laughing mood and can become quite the hardass. In those days I could have totally sympathized with Professor Moriarty. Hmm. Maybe there's more Catbert in me than I thought.

Again, thanks for the jokes.

-Thoth.

Speaking if Webcomics, check out Girl Genius, Tales of Adventure, Romance & Mad Science. It's a kind of alternate universe where mad scientists (called "Sparks") rule. And the madder your science the higher up you rule. Specifically, it's the story of student Agatha Clay, who, unknown to even herself, is the fabled Agatha Heterodyne--last of the mightily mad (but in a good way, mostly) Heterodyne dynasty. I could go on but you get the idea.

Hey, it's free!

-Thoth.

424 - It boggles my tiny mind that anyone would voluntarily, and without pay, sort through Debian's 283 million (yes million!) lines of code to route out a single bug. On a different note, back in the late-90s I got into a heated argument over Independence Day. Just how could David Levinson (Jeff Goldblum's character) hack into an alien mother-ship's computer? And upload a compatible virus? We concluded that there must have been an English language tech manual in the captured ship's glove compartment.

http://baetzler.de/humor/alien_os.html

378 - Damn the Butterfly effect. Real programmers just let the drive sit and wait patiently until background radiation flips the desired bits. Real programmer managers just cut & paste from the Project Plan to the Accomplishments Statement and declare a victory.

You've worked at my company too?

215 - Didn't get this one. Sorry. I guess I can't be in your posse. :D

Ah, stumped by the old removal of the girlfriend's account from your desktop.

184 - As an ex-teacher of discrete mathematics I would have gotten the joke (drawing the rotational matrix sideways) but would still have taken off points. After grading papers all night you're in no laughing mood and can become quite the hardass. In those days I could have totally sympathized with Professor Moriarty. Hmm. Maybe there's more Catbert in me than I thought.

I knew there was something about you...

IF

Speaking if Webcomics, check out Girl Genius, Tales of Adventure, Romance & Mad Science. It's a kind of alternate universe where mad scientists (called "Sparks") rule. And the madder your science the higher up you rule. Specifically, it's the story of student Agatha Clay, who, unknown to even herself, is the fabled Agatha Heterodyne--last of the mightily mad (but in a good way, mostly) Heterodyne dynasty. I could go on but you get the idea.

So many comics, so little time...

IF

Nice to see somebody's tech support group is on the ball (even if they are Evil Alien Overlords).

You've worked at my company too?

My friend, there is only ONE company.

Ah, stumped by the old removal of the girlfriend's account from your desktop.

Yes, but why was it funny? Too subtle for me, I guess.

I knew there was something about you...

Might be the orange tail and whiskers.

See you in the FurryMUCK, Asok.

-Thoth.

First, tmi.

No such thing as too much information. Just do what I do: Ignore what you don't like.

Second, is it just me, or is three episodes a week just not enough?

It's not just you. FYI: The whole Girl Genius series, in easily digestible graphic novel chunks, is available through Amazon (and other places). And, no, I don't get a piece of the action.

Oh, I don't want him. You can have him. He's too mad for meeeeee.

-Thoth.

It's not just you. FYI: The whole Girl Genius series, in easily digestible graphic novel chunks, is available through Amazon (and other places). And, no, I don't get a piece of the action.

"Temporarily out of stock."

IF

"Temporarily out of stock."

Oops. Sorry. Drat their popularity and short publishing runs. If only fewer people read it then more people could read it.

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded." -Lawrence Peter (Yogi) Berra

-Thoth.

Archived