Storyist Forums

.Mac backup support

lgsobalvarro

Hello everyone!

I'm new in Storyist (yep i was using StoryMill). I found that Storyist it's so nice and have some cool features (that's why i move from Storymill into Storyist (well done, Steve :D )).

However i miss something. I don't see anyway to backup my story into .Mac (If it's any, please tell me). I would like see that feature in future versions.

I hope that image support image support in manuscripts be here soon.

Hello everyone!

I'm new in Storyist (yep i was using StoryMill). I found that Storyist it's so nice and have some cool features (that's why i move from Storymill into Storyist (well done, Steve :D )).

However i miss something. I don't see anyway to backup my story into .Mac (If it's any, please tell me). I would like see that feature in future versions.

I hope that image support image support in manuscripts be here soon.

Hi lgsobalvarro,

Thanks for the kind words and for the request. Mikael requested this too and it is something I'm interested in implementing.

For the time being, I use Backup (included with your .Mac--soon to be MobileMe--subscription) to make sure that ~/Library/Application Support/Storyist is backed up on a regular basis.

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is useful or not, but I just save all my docs on my iDisk, set my iDisk to keep an offline copy on my mac and set the pair to sync automatically.

I keep nothing on my actual mac in the Documents directory.... its all up on the iDisk.

Not a slick fix but there has only been one occasion where I have had a sync issue that has affected my files in the last several years.

I don't know if this is useful or not, but I just save all my docs on my iDisk, set my iDisk to keep an offline copy on my mac and set the pair to sync automatically.

I keep nothing on my actual mac in the Documents directory.... its all up on the iDisk.

Not a slick fix but there has only been one occasion where I have had a sync issue that has affected my files in the last several years.

Sounds like a good solution. Two questions:

1) Do you notice any performance issues? iDisk keeps a copy of the entire disk on your local computer.

2) How do you handle conflict resolution when you've modified copies of the same document on different computers?

There are also third party apps like ChronoSync (which I'm currently testing) that will give you finer granularity if you desire it.

-Steve

Sounds like a good solution. Two questions:

1) Do you notice any performance issues? iDisk keeps a copy of the entire disk on your local computer.

2) How do you handle conflict resolution when you've modified copies of the same document on different computers?

There are also third party apps like ChronoSync (which I'm currently testing) that will give you finer granularity if you desire it.

-Steve

No performance issues at all. I have about 600MB of documents (2+ GB of files overall) saved to my machine. I set sync to automatic and just let it do its business in the background. Then again, I have a brand new MacBook Pro with the best components my IT budget could afford...

I tend to do all my writing on one machine so I usually don't run into user-created file conflicts. But, when I do, I don't have much of an issue. I have done it before and have not run into any problems. Upon saving a file to the iDisk (if your settings are on auto-sync) your mac should initiate a new sync immediately. You then need to be mindful to sync the idisk of the computer you are moving to before you continue writing.

It is an extra step, to be sure.

iDisk does get confused from time to time and think a file has changed when it hasn't. Any file sync conflict can usually be figured out by just looking at the time stamp in the sync conflict window. I know this makes people nervous, but I have never had much of a problem with Storyist and syncing files.

I HAVE, however, had problems with syncing files of other types. In particular, your competitor Scrivener has given me FITS when syncing those files up to iDisk. For some reason iDisk just hates large and complex Scrivener files. Lost a ton of work that way.

I take back what I said about only having one sync issue in the previous post. I remember during nanowrimo (either '06 or '07) reporting a bug to you, Steve, that Storyist was not playing well with .mac and iDisk. That wasn't the problem at all, now that I remember the situation. It turned out to be that my file was corrupt and not saving AT ALL thus tricking me into thinking it was the sync mechanism. If only Time Machine had been around when that happened...

Archived