Storyist Forums

Copying/pasting sections/chapters and styles

chaarrliie

Hi,

As it is not (yet?) possible to move sections or chapters from one manuscript to another, I tried to copy/paste some text in order to rearrange my project, but I encountered issues with styles.

I have styles set up to change the outline level, but when I paste the text in that style into another manuscript (or in the same manuscript for that matter), I need to manually reapply the style for it to be recognized.

I tried to set the exact same style in the destination manuscript, but got the same effect.

Am I doing something wrong?

Is there another way to copy/paste text and keep the outline structure of that text?

Thanks for your help :)

Hi chaarrliie,

Copy and pasting within a manuscript should preserve the style/outline information. If is not what you're seeing, please send a short exerpt to the support address that shows the issue, and I'll take a look right away.

Due to the limitations of Apple's pasteboard RTF implementation, when you copy from one file and paste into another file in Storyist for Mac, the style definitions don't follow the formatted text, so you'll need to add these styles to the destination file manually. The easiest way to do this is to use the Format > Style > Change Stylesheet > Project Stylesheet command and then choose your source manuscript as the source for the stylesheet.

I know this is a little clunky. Storyist for iOS does handle the style defininition import for you (so if you're using Storyist for iOS too, this might be an option), and this functionality is on the "back to the Mac" list for this summer.

-Steve

Hi chaarrliie,

Thank you for the screencast. You shouldn't see that second Section Text style appear after pasting.

I can't reproduce what you're seeing here. Could you send a project with just that file to the support address? If it's a Storyist issue, I'll fix it for you right away. It would be helpful to know what Mac you're using and what version of macOS.

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Archived