Storyist Forums

High Sierra -- Storyist crashing upon quitting?

CartoonMike

Pretty much describes it. I'd have a good session writing (>30 minutes, for example) and then I quit Storyist. Then the next time I start up Storyist, I get one of those "Quit Unexpectedly" dialog.

Anybody else getting these?
I've looked over the files I was working on and I haven't seemed to lose any data. The files are stored in the Storyist folder on my iCloud account. The files open OK on my Desktop and iPad just fine.

Hi CartoonMike,

I haven't seen this, but would be happy to investigate. The next time it happens, please submit the crash report from the "Quit Unexpectedly" dialog and add a little note to let me know the crash was yours.

-Steve

This may be out of left field, because I haven't had this particular problem with Storyist and High Sierra, but I have run into problems with InDesign CS6 and the latest version of iTunes (12.7?) running on High Sierra, including exactly the behavior you describe.

I don't even need to be playing music for ID to slow to a crawl and crash on exit; if iTunes is running, that's enough.

It happened once before with iTunes and Microsoft Office, otherwise I'd never even have thought of the possibility.

Best,

Marguerite

This may be out of left field, because I haven't had this particular problem with Storyist and High Sierra, but I have run into problems with InDesign CS6 and the latest version of iTunes (12.7?) running on High Sierra, including exactly the behavior you describe.

I don't even need to be playing music for ID to slow to a crawl and crash on exit; if iTunes is running, that's enough.

It happened once before with iTunes and Microsoft Office, otherwise I'd never even have thought of the possibility.

Best,

Marguerite

Thanks for the insight, marguerite! I tried opening Storyist and iTunes (once having Storyist be the first app started and then iTunes being the first app) and doing about 10 minutes of writing (thankfully I have lots of transcription from hand written pages to key in!) and then quitting Storyist, waiting about 3-5 minutes and starting Storyist up... Having iTunes open doesn't seem to be an issue for me using Storyist at the same time.

However... in context of what I was doing, I was importing a lot of Scrivener-created files into Storyist and maybe that caused the error... something I can try out later today or tomorrow. Gotta meet me writing goal for the day.

You're welcome! Sorry it didn't solve the problem, but I did remember after posting that I had encountered such behavior occasionally in Storyist under Mavericks (I upgraded directly from Mavericks to High Sierra). Something would cause a crash, and Storyist might report itself as shutting down unexpectedly two or three times in a row, even when I was quitting normally. So it may have nothing to do with the new OS.

Best,

M

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not seeing any issues like that, but I do get delays and what feels like memory leaks after long writing sessions. I have to quit and restart to get Storyist back to the snappy performance I and used to.

My manuscripts are large... The latest is 177,000 words.

Archived