Storyist Forums

Scrivener User Considering Permanent Move to Storyist

Greetings -- As of this moment I am the newest member of this forum and am looking forward to reading some of the thousands of posts before me. I have been using Scrivener 3 but I'm finding the "overhead" too high for my liking. Although it is feature-rich, I will never use many of its capabilities, and access to those features I do need is not always obvious. In short, I think Scrivener is a fine piece of software, but it often uses up too much of my creative oxygen. In short, when I write with Scrivener, I'm focused on Scrivener. When I write with Storyist, I'm focused on my story.

That is why I'm taking a closer look at Storyist. Some might argue that Scrivener is more capable than Storyist, but I don't believe that is necessarily true. I find the Storyist user interface and command structure more intuitive and that means I am more productive as a writer when I use Storyist than when using Scrivener. I'm in the middle of writing a fairly complex sci-fi novel at the moment and am looking forward to importing my Scrivener file into Storyist in the coming days. I'm looking forward to reading many of the great tips and lessons learned in this forum as I make this journey.

• 11 months later...

I’m in the exact same position. I started as a Storyist user years ago. I moved to Scrivener perhaps 1.5 or 2 years ago. Now I want to return to Storyist, but cannot find my previous purchases on the APP stores, and I owned both MacOS and iOS versions. I suspect they were so old they no longer show up. Perhaps version 2?

Can someone please tell me if I can import my Scrivener files directly into Storyist 4 iOS version, or if I have to get the MacOS version to do the import? I’d hate that because I find myself never even opening my novel on the Mac. I always use only the iOS version.

• 2 months later...

I have been a scrivener user for quite long. Having been buying / upgrading both iOS and Mac versions religiously on day one of release. Although the software is nice but lately I've found the plethora of options little overwhelming. What I want is the software to get out of the way so that I can focus on writing more. Moreover the other problem that is becoming more and more apparent for me is the lack of support for iCloud sync. I heard that it is due to the way scrivener project files are created. I am seriously considering moving to Storyist on Mac and iOS as it checks all my writing needs.

@Steve wondering if there is any discount for folks who switch from Scrivener to Storyist permanently?

BTW noticed from the template title page that the zip code (94087 - If it's yours) is next to mine (94086).

thanks,

Sachin Walia