Storyist Forums

Possible to change section card to chapter?

cremmerson

Greetings, and thank you for the great product.

I am plotting my second book and have done the hard yards. However, is there a way to change a section card (and its text) into a chapter card? The alternative is to recreate everything... Not ideal. (It’s also all under one chapter, which I can’t delete as it deletes all subject cards under it.)

Many thanks.

Hi, Cremmerson,

I just tested this in the iPad version, and it seems to work. But I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

If you are talking about retaining text in the manuscript while starting a new chapter, then do this.

Tap on the icon that looks like a piece of paper.

Navigate to where you want the new chapter to begin.

Type NEW CHAPTER or CHAPTER X (X being the number you want). Tap return.

Tap in the NEW CHAPTER line, then the Aa icon at top right. Choose Style and style that line as CHAPTER TITLE.

When you go back to the index cards (if that's what you're talking about), you will see the new chapter and a card under it.

Tap back to the manuscript, and any text you assigned to that new chapter will still be there.

If you're talking about retaining text on the index card itself, then it's even simpler.

With the cards displayed, tap the + and choose Add Chapter Title.

Name the new chapter title.

Drag the section card from where it is now to under the new chapter title.

Best, Marguerite

Thanks, Marguerite,

My use of the term “section cards” in place of “index cards” didn’t exactly help my case. Apologies.

There is no text in the manuscript just yet, just text on index cards. I know I can insert new chapter cards before an index card, but I was wondering whether I could convert an index card into a chapter card.

Is that any clearer?

Many thanks. 

Russell

It is, but at least on my iPad, the chapter cards don't have text, just names. So I don't see how you could (or would want to) convert unless you'd decided to ditch the text.

I have an old iPad, though, and mostly use it as backup in terms of Storyist files. Even on the Mac I don't do much with index cards because they don't fit my writing style. So someone else will have to answer your question.

Sorry!

Marguerite

Thank you so much for your help, Miss M. Very much appreciated.

I used the index cards to organise three intertwining stories, but have it all under a chapter card - which I can’t delete because it will delete all the underlying index cards.

May need to do some judicious copying down the track...

Thanks again.

Archived