Storyist Forums

Password protection for Storyist files.

Steve E

Okay, one more.

I propose an option for password protection for Storyist files.

Not a high priority but I can see how it might be important for people who share their computer. Writers (and artists in general) tend to be private people and many want to protect their manuscript, notes and general research.

I mention this because Mac's FileVault (see Finder Help) is simply too much protection for some people, and often impractical for shared computers. Smaller shareware programs like Apimac's Secret Folder is clever but isn't Storyist specific and, in any event, requires the extra steps of opening the Secret Folder application, entering a universal password, and then finding and selecting the file or folder you want to open (still worth a look, though).

-Thoth.

I propose an option for password protection for Storyist files.

Not a high priority but I can see how it might be important for people who share their computer. Writers (and artists in general) tend to be private people and many want to protect their manuscript, notes and general research.

I mention this because Mac's FileVault (see Finder Help) is simply too much protection for some people, and often impractical for shared computers. Smaller shareware programs like Apimac's Secret Folder is clever but isn't Storyist specific and, in any event, requires the extra steps of opening the Secret Folder application, entering a universal password, and then finding and selecting the file or folder you want to open (still worth a look, though).

Have you thought about creating an encrypted partition with something like TrueCrypt? That would at least let you have control over how much stuff gets encrypted.

IF

Have you thought about creating an encrypted partition with something like TrueCrypt? That would at least let you have control over how much stuff gets encrypted.

I really didn't give much thought to encryption (including TrueCrypt) because of the decryption lag time upon opening. On Storyist files encryption seems like overkill for dissuading the casually curious. But TrueCrypt and its ilk seem a fine solution to archiving finished stories (short of transferring them to a pocket flash drive).

If you can give me any actual figures on the decryption time of book-sized files in any specific encryption app, on any specific Mac, I would be obliged.

-Thoth.

On Storyist files encryption seems like overkill for dissuading the casually curious.

So you'd like Storyist to password protect the file, but not encrypt the contents?

That would mean someone could just unzip the story file and view the contents. I suppose it would keep idle hands from editing the file, which would be useful if you wanted to send a document out for review, but I don't think it would accomplish what you asked for in your OP ("to protect their manuscript, notes and general research").

-Steve

So you'd like Storyist to password protect the file, but not encrypt the contents?

That would mean someone could just unzip the story file and view the contents. I suppose it would keep idle hands from editing the file, which would be useful if you wanted to send a document out for review, but I don't think it would accomplish what you asked for in your OP ("to protect their manuscript, notes and general research").

-Steve

What would you suggest? An encryption option? Invisibility? I want the file protected but I just don't want to go through too much of a fuss or a delay when opening a story-in-progress, since I'll be opening it a lot.

-Thoth.

I really didn't give much thought to encryption (including TrueCrypt) because of the decryption lag time upon opening. On Storyist files encryption seems like overkill for dissuading the casually curious. But TrueCrypt and its ilk seem a fine solution to archiving finished stories (short of transferring them to a pocket flash drive).

If you can give me any actual figures on the decryption time of book-sized files in any specific encryption app, on any specific Mac, I would be obliged.

I can't speak for TrueCrypt, but I've been using FileVault for years, and for small files like Storyist documents, even filled with images, it's virtually transparent. I really don't notice much lag unless I start manipulating video, but I just stored those on an unencrypted partition.

IF

Archived