Storyist Forums

JPEGs in notebook and text

Barnbarroch

Some of my research material is in the form of picture files of various sorts; it'd be nice to ba able to insert them into a page of the notebook. Come to that, I realise it could be a help to be able to do the same into the main text, if referring to a diagram, for instance.

Apologies for deluge of messages (and typos)

Jamie.

Some of my research material is in the form of picture files of various sorts; it'd be nice to ba able to insert them into a page of the notebook. Come to that, I realise it could be a help to be able to do the same into the main text, if referring to a diagram, for instance.

Apologies for deluge of messages (and typos)

Jamie.

Notebook support for images and PDF is on the list. Stay tuned. :)

And thanks for the deluge of messages! Software thrives on feedback and I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

-Steve

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

First time making an entry here but with the discussion going on I thought I would add mine to the mix:

I have seen in another forum discussion regarding a photo/graphic album. The reason I am bringing this up is that the notebooks would be increasingly more valuable if we were able to link the entries (either via the notebooks directly or the content within) much as you can with the Character Sheets and Plot Points, etc.

I give you an example: in my novel I have some historical references that would be great to link (as the section sheets do within the manuscript) that would allow the author to have an easy reference to by hyper-linking to the note book reference without having to use the navigation pane to get there. Being able to call up my handy history chart at key points as I edit and polish would be a big boon (not to mention the basic writing of the whole thing).

This might necessitate a reexamination of the whole notebook module to encompass this but as a novelist dealing with historical references and cultural factoids it would be a big help to have some cross-referencing going on. Also some resizing of the graphic (not complex but real simple cropping, resize, etc) would be nice as well.

Of course I will state the obvious that while linkable within the manuscript (like highlighting a word or phrase and issuing a key stroke to bring up the hyperlink reference via a navigation window) but would not export when and if the manuscript needed to be sent to word, etc. Also it would be a non-printing feature (unless as a footnote reference).

Wow... am I dreaming big here???!

hope not...

-William

First time making an entry here but with the discussion going on I thought I would add mine to the mix:

I have seen in another forum discussion regarding a photo/graphic album. The reason I am bringing this up is that the notebooks would be increasingly more valuable if we were able to link the entries (either via the notebooks directly or the content within) much as you can with the Character Sheets and Plot Points, etc.

I give you an example: in my novel I have some historical references that would be great to link (as the section sheets do within the manuscript) that would allow the author to have an easy reference to by hyper-linking to the note book reference without having to use the navigation pane to get there. Being able to call up my handy history chart at key points as I edit and polish would be a big boon (not to mention the basic writing of the whole thing).

This might necessitate a reexamination of the whole notebook module to encompass this but as a novelist dealing with historical references and cultural factoids it would be a big help to have some cross-referencing going on. Also some resizing of the graphic (not complex but real simple cropping, resize, etc) would be nice as well.

Of course I will state the obvious that while linkable within the manuscript (like highlighting a word or phrase and issuing a key stroke to bring up the hyperlink reference via a navigation window) but would not export when and if the manuscript needed to be sent to word, etc. Also it would be a non-printing feature (unless as a footnote reference).

Wow... am I dreaming big here???!

hope not...

-William

You can already insert wiki links into the text and the notes just by typing [[note name]]. Storyist will link to the note if it exists and create it if it does not. Thoth has asked for the ability to hide such links when printing (the export feature converts links to text, but you do then have to go through and weed them out--not a problem if you name them carefully), and I think this is on the list of intended enhancements.

Until then, the links are most useful within the notebook. Say you list six potential sources of conflict in a note called "Conflicts," then start a new note with revisions to chapter 3. You can type, "See [[Conflicts]]" and Storyist will insert a link. Click on it, and you go right to that note. Insert a second link in "Conflicts" saying "Explored in [[Chapter 3]]" and you can snap back to where you started.

Bookmarks are also on the list and will help with jumping back and forth. One work-around is to make use of Storyist's powerful search feature by inserting something like > before you click on the link. Then you can navigate back by doing a quick search for

The album feature is very cool; I'd love to see that implemented someday.

Hope that helps a little,

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Marguerite

P.S. If you export to Word frequently, make sure you hide the Section Titles before you export; otherwise each section in the Word document begins with its name (at least, I assume you don't want the names--maybe you do).

Archived