Storyist Forums

Sections & Chapters getting jumbled up.

Wayne

I'm having a seriously frustrating time editing my novel in Storyist. When I click and drag a chapter, sometimes it just drops where I want it and sometimes it seems to merge with other chapters or sections and suddenly have whole sections disappear and then it turns out they've merged with another, totally unrelated section. So my novel is getting more jumbled up as I go and I'm spending ages just trying to unpick the mess. What am I doing wrong? I just want to a quick, easy way to rearrange chapters without them merging with each other and/or dropping/merging/disappearing my sections.

Is there something I'm not getting about how this works?

Two things. As protection, if you drag sections about a lot, ensure that each one ends with # on a line by itself, even if it's the end of a chapter. That clues Storyist in to the idea that you don't want merging (because the # marks the end of the section). I thought the program actually added the # before dragging, but your experience suggests I may be wrong about that.

Also (and this is a Mac thing, not a Storyist thing), if you drag a chapter, watch the line that shows you where the program thinks you want to drop it: if it's indented under another chapter, then the Mac assumes you want it made subordinate. If the line is full length, it should end up at the same level as the other chapters. And if it gets in the wrong place, dragging it right above or below where you want it but making sure the line is full length should get it back to the right level. You can then move it into place.

Best, Marguerite