Storyist Forums

Who is in?

Steve

Me me me! I'm ready! I can't wait for it. <3 I'm astillac on the NaNo site, if anyone wants to add me as a writing buddy. xP

I'm still thinking about it, Astillac (As-till-ac ?). Only about 15% of the NaNos make it to the finish line on time and 1700 non-serious words a day does use up a lot of "serious" write time (3-4 hours?).

But I am going to try your "Gluten and Dairy Free Killer Lemon Cake" assuming xanthum is the same as xanthan gum (imported from the Legendary Land of Xanth). Have your NaNo write-buddies tried it? Have you found new write-buddies in NH?

In any event, Calli, you go girl.

-Thoth.

I'm still thinking about it, Astillac (As-till-ac ?). Only about 15% of the NaNos make it to the finish line on time and 1700 non-serious words a day does use up a lot of "serious" write time (3-4 hours?).

But I am going to try your "Gluten and Dairy Free Killer Lemon Cake" assuming xanthum is the same as xanthan gum (imported from the Legendary Land of Xanth). Have your NaNo write-buddies tried it? Have you found new write-buddies in NH?

In any event, Calli, you go girl.

-Thoth.

Not moi. Too much stuff to do on the book I'm working on now. :D But I'm going to try to finish my rough draft and start revisions by the end of November, so I'm participating informally.

Aren't we all writing buddies here, Astillac? :D

Best,

M

Hehehe. You caught me Thoth.

Astillac just looks better than Atsillac.

And here I thought TSA was a tribute to the Polish heavy-metal band of the same name. Think Iron Maiden with occasional children's songs (e.g. "The Marching of the Wolves").

-Thoth.

It is that time of year again. The leaves are turning. The nights are getting colder. Ready to put the chores on hold for a month and get some words on the page?

I'm in. Are you?

-Steve

I'm in too. storyist feels really good to help me put 50,000 words down pleasantly by the end of November.

Peter A.

I'm participating. Still debating about what piece of writing software to use though. I'll have to finalize it once I get my mac back from repair.

I keep getting more and more confused. The more I play with the different things out there, the more I like each one for the interface, and I can't decide which one I like best >.<

I already have an outline and a general idea of what I"m writing about, now I'm just concerned about execution and presentation.

I'm participating. Still debating about what piece of writing software to use though. I'll have to finalize it once I get my mac back from repair.

I keep getting more and more confused. The more I play with the different things out there, the more I like each one for the interface, and I can't decide which one I like best >.

I already have an outline and a general idea of what I"m writing about, now I'm just concerned about execution and presentation.

Welcome emoKid!

Sorry to hear about your Mac.

If you have any questions while you are evaluating the various options, please feel free to ask here in the forums, or send me a PM.

-Steve

Welcome emoKid!

Sorry to hear about your Mac.

If you have any questions while you are evaluating the various options, please feel free to ask here in the forums, or send me a PM.

-Steve

Most of the questions I had were easily found in the forums :P

Now I'm just concerned about Character names... ;) I think I find one, but then I'm not sure if it would flow as well with the story or not. The only finalized name is "Cassidy," but then I'm still debating about how I want to spell it...

I hear Storyist is nice. :P

-Thoth.

I'm currently torn between 2 things, Storyist and Scrivener.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy them both (for an excuse not to play a certain game that my friends are all mind-controlled by, also for not putting all my eggs in one basket).

It's just a matter of which one to use for NaNoWriMo ;) . I recently fell in love with the Story Sheets that Storyist has. Storyist also has more aid in organizing and planning a novel (easier and by default). I already had some character sheets and scene sheets filled out, but Scrivener had a 30 day trial, so I played around with it first and I'm not sure if I can learn how to use Storyist before November starts (I was planning on learning how to use Storyist, but my laptop died prior to being able to).

... I'm not sure if I can learn how to use Storyist before November starts (I was planning on learning how to use Storyist, but my laptop died prior to being able to).

There are some good learning tools under the Help menu. There is also a User's Guide at the Web site.

Sorry about your laptop.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

-Thoth

There are some good learning tools under the Help menu. There is also a User's Guide at the Web site.

Sorry about your laptop.

-Thoth

I downloaded the user's guide, but it isn't as helpful as the forum (maybe because you're here? ;) )...

Sorry about your laptop.

-Thoth

Yes, welcome. I've used both Storyist and Scrivener and find Storyist much more intuitive and more complete, especially in versions 1.4 and 1.5. Admittedly it takes a while to master the various types of linked sheets, but you don't need all that for NaNoWriMo: just fill in your basic character, setting, and (if you're a plotter) plot info and worry about tying it all together later. The Novel template in Storyist comes preformatted, so you don't need to worry about redoing the styles right away, either.

And Christina did a super-duper job on the manual, so it's pretty comprehensive and very clear.

If your Mac hadn't gone comatose on you :( you could have set up the whole structure in Storyist before Nov. 1 rolled around. Bad Mac! It's much more difficult to do that in Scrivener, which is more free-form.

In any case, I join Isaac in making a nonparticipants' pledge: I will write my 50-page ending despite the wriggling and squirming of uncooperative characters! :D

Checking myself into Pantsers Anonymous. I give my novel over to a Higher Power....

Best,

Marguerite

If your Mac hadn't gone comatose on you :( you could have set up the whole structure in Storyist before Nov. 1 rolled around. Bad Mac! It's much more difficult to do that in Scrivener, which is more free-form.

In any case, I join Isaac in making a nonparticipants' pledge: I will write my 50-page ending despite the wriggling and squirming of uncooperative characters! :D

Checking myself into Pantsers Anonymous. I give my novel over to a Higher Power....

Best,

Marguerite

It wasn't the Mac's fault. It was trying it's best to run until it's dieing breath. It had hard drive failure, apparently that's why it was starting to lag (a few months after I got it) and "I was lucky the hard drive survived so long with all the problems it had" (that's what the mac guy told me). I blame the hard drive provider, not the mac itself.

Yes, welcome. I've used both Storyist and Scrivener and find Storyist much more intuitive and more complete, especially in versions 1.4 and 1.5. Admittedly it takes a while to master the various types of linked sheets, but you don't need all that for NaNoWriMo: just fill in your basic character, setting, and (if you're a plotter) plot info and worry about tying it all together later. The Novel template in Storyist comes preformatted, so you don't need to worry about redoing the styles right away, either.

I like the plotting and planning tools it Storyist, but Scrivener makes it a lot easier for people who change the structure of their novel. The default novel template doesn't really work for what I need. Mine is:

Book

-Part 1

--Chapter #

---Scene #

-Part 2

--Chapter #

---Etc #

So this post was quite helpful. It'll also help me for another book (fictional journal) type thing I'm writing.

Archived