Storyist Forums

Change Stylesheet > Novel Stylesheet Not Working

membarock

I wrote a novel in Storyist using personalized formatting for self-publishing purposes. I now need to change the formatting back to the default novel formatting.

I positioned the cursor in the file, then selected Format > Style > Change Stylesheet > Novel Stylesheet, clicked Change Stylesheet after confirming that the styles were correct in the dialog, and nothing happened. The formatting didn't change. I tried it several more times while highlighting the entire text. Still nothing.

Is this a technical error or am I missing something?

Hi membarock,

If the formatting didn't update to match the novel stylesheet, it's likely that the file is already using that stylesheet (so the Change Stylesheet command had nothing to do) and the styles are instead overridden for each paragraph. If this is the case, you would see the red triangle in the styles list the inspector when you position the cursor in some section text and the style description would read "Section Text + <your changes>."

To revert to the original style, you can simply reapply the appropriate styles to the paragraphs. For example, position the cursor in some section text and apply the Section Text style.

You can also use the Format > Style > Apply Styles by Matching Text command to accomplish this. The Working with Styles tutorial has some good examples and includes sample files if you want to experiment with the command.

-Steve

24 minutes ago, Steve said:

Hi membarock,

If the formatting didn't update to match the novel stylesheet, it's likely that the file is already using that stylesheet (so the Change Stylesheet command had nothing to do) and the styles are instead overridden for each paragraph. If this is the case, you would see the red triangle in the styles list the inspector when you position the cursor in some section text and the style description would read "Section Text + <your changes>."

To revert to the original style, you can simply reapply the appropriate styles to the paragraphs. For example, position the cursor in some section text and apply the Section Text style.

You can also use the Format > Style > Apply Styles by Matching Text command to accomplish this. The Working with Styles tutorial has some good examples and includes sample files if you want to experiment with the command.

-Steve

Hi again, Steve.

An interesting thing happens when I follow the steps you listed. If I place the cursor into a part of the Section Text and click Revert to Original Style from the red triangle, it successfully reverts that specific part of the Section Text back to the Novel Stylesheet formatting; however, if I highlight all of the Section Text and do the same thing (to try and revert all of the Section Text in one fell swoop) it changes all of the Section Text to a single-spaced, Helvetica font. I have no idea why it's doing that.

7 minutes ago, Steve said:

Hi membarock,

It's hard to say what's going on without see the file. I'd be happy to take a look at it if you'd like. Just attach it to an email to support@storyist.com.

Did you have luck with the Apply Styles by Matching Text command?

-Steve

No luck. I read through the Working with Styles tutorial, but I can't understand what it's telling me to do in regards to the Apply Styles by Matching Text. 

I'll go ahead and send the file to the support email. Thank you!