Storyist Forums

I got a free laptop!

emoKid

:)

So one of my friends had a Toshiba Satellite (I don't recommend buying one as out of the 6 people I know who bought one, all six of them have died in some way), but the CD/DVD drive broke as did the built-in display. So he offered it to me, and I accepted it. My brother had an extra monitor, and I had a external hard drive enclosure.

So we took the hard drive out of the laptop, put it in an enclosure, then booted up my map with the Ubuntu CD in it and installed Ubuntu on the external drive.

Then we took the hard drive out of the enclosure (with force, last time I ever buy an all aluminum easy click case), and put it back into the laptop.

After booting it up and tweaking some of the settings, I have a clean quick running brand new desktop :) So I'm thinking about getting an external cd drive for it.

Anyways, I felt like bragging about something, but I only did 30 words for NaNoWriMo today >.<

:)

So one of my friends had a Toshiba Satellite (I don't recommend buying one as out of the 6 people I know who bought one, all six of them have died in some way), but the CD/DVD drive broke as did the built-in display. So he offered it to me, and I accepted it. My brother had an extra monitor, and I had a external hard drive enclosure.

So we took the hard drive out of the laptop, put it in an enclosure, then booted up my map with the Ubuntu CD in it and installed Ubuntu on the external drive.

Then we took the hard drive out of the enclosure (with force, last time I ever buy an all aluminum easy click case), and put it back into the laptop.

After booting it up and tweaking some of the settings, I have a clean quick running brand new desktop :) So I'm thinking about getting an external cd drive for it.

Anyways, I felt like bragging about something, but I only did 30 words for NaNoWriMo today >.

Good feeling, isn't it?

I worked at Apple around the time that the Powerbook Duos came out. Anyone remember the Duo? Right after they were released, the team that designed them moved offices, leaving the old offices strewn with parts. The Duos were so hot at that point, you couldn't get them in the company store, so a couple of guys from my team did a little "cleaning up" after them and assembled a station in our lab with the discarded components. Few of the parts were standard and you wouldn't believe how much time we spent cataloging keyboards, motherboards, controllers, drives, cables, etc... After a while, we got good at identifying which revisions were which, and managed to put together working laptops for each of us.

Anyway... 661 for me so far today, but the day isn't over here.

-Steve

Anyways, I felt like bragging about something, but I only did 30 words for NaNoWriMo today >.<

Kudos, emoKid. Applause! But Steve, stealing from the company? You wouldn't want your employees walking out with some "discarded" blank CD-ROMs. I'm surprised at you. "No wonder you took to writing." (Obscure quote, I know.)

Futurist Alvin Toffler, in The Third Wave (1980), declared the 21st century as the Age of No Assembly Required.

Remember 1667 words a day, NaNoites, to reach that goal by month's end.

Keep telling yourself it's all about the journey.

-Thoth.

Archived