Storyist Forums

UTF-8 Encoding / data changed problems

eripoll

Hello all.

Here is the deal.

1. I create a new character named "Alice". I input her age and sex, then I type in some text in French in the Note section of the character.
  2. I create another character named "Nicolas". I input the age and sex for that character.
  3. I decide to change Alice's age. I go back to that character sheet, change the age, and go back to Nicolas' sheet.
  4. I work on Nicolas' sheet for awhile then go back to Alice's and there, surprise ! the age is back to the first age I have entered...
  5. I change the age back, decide to save and close my document
  6. I reopen the document : Alice's name is correct but now, all the accents in the Notes text of the character sheet have been replaced by the weird "ÃÆâ" characters.
  7. Saving, closing and reopening produces even more weird characters, as if the text was encoded over itself.

Has anyone noticed the strange unsaved data I mention in points 1-4 and most important, is anyone using Storyist with accented text ?

Thanks in advance,

Erwan

Hello all.

Here is the deal.

1. I create a new character named "Alice". I input her age and sex, then I type in some text in French in the Note section of the character.
  2. I create another character named "Nicolas". I input the age and sex for that character.
  3. I decide to change Alice's age. I go back to that character sheet, change the age, and go back to Nicolas' sheet.
  4. I work on Nicolas' sheet for awhile then go back to Alice's and there, surprise ! the age is back to the first age I have entered...
  5. I change the age back, decide to save and close my document
  6. I reopen the document : Alice's name is correct but now, all the accents in the Notes text of the character sheet have been replaced by the weird "ÃÆâ" characters.
  7. Saving, closing and reopening produces even more weird characters, as if the text was encoded over itself.

Has anyone noticed the strange unsaved data I mention in points 1-4 and most important, is anyone using Storyist with accented text ?

Thanks in advance,

Erwan

Hi Erwan,

Thanks for the report. Looks like there are two problems here: 1) the age was not updated in Alice's sheet and 2) you are seeing garbage characters in the notes field for accented characters. The second is a recently introduced bug. I'll fix that right away. The first I'm not able to reproduce. Is there anything related to Storyist in the console log (you can find this by launching /Applications/Utilities/Console and viewing console.log)?

Is there anything related to Storyist in the console log (you can find this by launching /Applications/Utilities/Console and viewing console.log)?

Hi Steve,

This is what I can find in the console log concerning Storyist :

2007-08-06 20:52:20.277 Storyist[922] WARNING: edited range spans multiple elements
2007-08-06 21:03:32.704 Storyist[922] WARNING: edited range spans multiple elements
2007-08-06 21:12:02.111 Storyist[922] NSExceptionHandler has recorded the following exception:
2007-08-06 21:12:02.111 Storyist[922] caught *** -[NSCFArray objectAtIndex:]: index (7) beyond bounds (7)
2007-08-06 21:16:58.427 Storyist[922] WARNING: edited range spans multiple elements
2007-08-06 21:17:19.643 Storyist[922] WARNING: edited range spans multiple elements
2007-08-07 02:40:51.670 Storyist[1034] WARNING: edited range spans multiple elements

Hope that helps !

Thanks for the quick answer !

Erwan

Archived