Storyist Forums

Insertion Point Page Number Display

Steve E

I frequently find myself looking over other areas of text and wondering (for dramaturgical reasons) its distance, in pages, from where I'm currently writing (i.e., the current insertion point.)

I also may be typing away and want to know what page I'm on. Since I keep my screen at 200% to reduce eye strain (a useful tip) I have to stop and scroll to read the page number in the header. (Actually, I use "Reveal In Project Pane" more often.)

So I was thinking; why not an option to put the page location of the insertion point in a placard at he bottom of the screen? I know this is valuable space but it less than half used at the moment. What are we saving it for? Is there another word processor that doesn't display the page number in the program as opposed to just in the text? Scrivener?

I know it's not exactly a major enhancement, and hardly vital, but one should always know which page one is on.

-Thoth.

I frequently find myself looking over other areas of text and wondering (for dramaturgical reasons) its distance, in pages, from where I'm currently writing (i.e., the current insertion point.)

I also may be typing away and want to know what page I'm on. Since I keep my screen at 200% to reduce eye strain (a useful tip) I have to stop and scroll to read the page number in the header. (Actually, I use "Reveal In Project Pane" more often.)

So I was thinking; why not an option to put the page location of the insertion point in a placard at he bottom of the screen? I know this is valuable space but it less than half used at the moment. What are we saving it for? Is there another word processor that doesn't display the page number in the program as opposed to just in the text? Scrivener?

I know it's not exactly a major enhancement, and hardly vital, but one should always know which page one is on.

-Thoth.

I second this. I mostly write in Normal Mode because I can go faster, so to find out which page I'm on I have to switch modes. It would be useful to have the information displayed at the bottom of the screen. In that case, I could also tell with a couple of clicks how long a chapter is.

Best,

Marguerite

I second this.

Thanks M.

Speaking of knowing how long a chapter is, it occurs to me that Storyist is missing a lot of analytical information. Basic things like the the sizes of story, chapters and sections, measured in pages, paragraphs, words and characters, should not have to be hand calculated. I think this is pretty basic and would fit nicely in the Inspector

I think I'm going to make a feature request out of this.

Archived