Storyist Forums

Mind map

islander

A good idea could be to have a window where we can organize personnaly and visually

our ideas or a map of the movie, like in the mind mapping principle...

What do you think ?

map example

Google research min maps

Hi Islander, and welcome to the forum.

Mind mapping software (e.g., SmartDraw comes immediately to mind) can help you get a rough outline of what you're trying to write about. Rougher than Storyist's Plot Sheets, anyway. But this strikes me as a separate kind of program. One you can flip back forth, to and from, while you're using Storyist.

But who am I to take work away from Steve?

Nice to hear from you,

-Thoth.

You could be right, Islander.

Sorry about the Window's software reference. To make up for it, here'a a list of mind mapping software from Wikipedia and Peter Russell's Web site with links to the seller's sites. There's Mac software, Window's software, Linux software, etcetera. Plenty of examples for Steve to think about.

-Thoth

That's it, Calli, Dreamer Of Dreams! That's how to integrate a mind map with a story writing tool. Okay, the integration would need to be tighter but this is a good start. And best of all, no one else has thought of this.

Amazed.

-Thoth.

Try MindNode... download here

I am using it since yesterday. It's really simple and help to organize ideas.

We can have link on each item... like already programmed in Storyist...

Tell Steve to have a look. It's useful.

Islander in his island

Thanks Islander.

Steve does in fact read feature requests so he'll get to your post eventually. But you can always PM him if you have an issue that needs a quicker response.

Care to share the name of your island? Or is it a metaphorical island, as in "no man is an island..." (John Donne). Fun Fact: The Bronx is the only county in NYC that's on the mainland. Manhattan is an island. Staten Island is an island. Brooklyn (i.e., Kings County) and Queens are both on the western tip of Long Island.

Wasn't that fun?

-Thoth.

That's it, Calli, Dreamer Of Dreams! That's how to integrate a mind map with a story writing tool. Okay, the integration would need to be tighter but this is a good start. And best of all, no one else has thought of this.

Amazed.

-Thoth.

I love it when that happens. :)

Thanks Thoth for the reference to the metaphysic poet John Donne

who inspired Hemingway for Whom the Bell Tolls.

But I am not completely in agreement with him...

"No man is an island !"

Yes, it's true : we are each of us a part of Universe.

But we know that everyone has his own reality, his vision of the world, his own personal island...

How real is real ? said Watzlawick :)

In fact my island is a metaphor. My Universe.

But I lived one year in the Bahamas..

Bring it to mind.

Nostalgia...

« Aucun homme n’est une île, un tout, complet en soi ; tout homme est un fragment du continent, une partie de l’ensemble ; si la mer emporte une motte de terre, l’Europe en est amoindrie, comme si les flots avaient emporté un promontoire, le manoir de tes amis ou le tien ; la mort de tout homme me diminue, parce que j’appartiens au genre humain ; aussi n’envoie jamais demander pour qui sonne le glas : c’est pour toi qu’il sonne ». (Devotions upon Emergent Occasions, 1624) »

Thanks Thoth for the reference to the metaphysic poet John Donne

who inspired Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Some people would give you an argument about that. Not me, though.

But I am not completely in agreement with him... "No man is an island" !

Yes, it's true : we are each of us a part of Universe. But we know that everyone has his own reality, his vision of the world, his own personal island...

How real is real ? said Watzlawick :)

Indeed. But perhaps more pertinent to this forum, Paul Watzlawick also said, "One cannot not communicate". Which, I imagine, is part of what keeps writers doing what they do.

In fact my island is a metaphor. My Universe.

Universe? That's a darn big island. (Which it might just be if Hugh Everett III's many-worlds interpretation of quantum physics is correct.)

But I lived one year in the Bahamas..

Oh, most blessed man...

« Aucun homme n’est une île, un tout, complet en soi ; tout homme est un fragment du continent, une partie de l’ensemble ; si la mer emporte une motte de terre, l’Europe en est amoindrie, comme si les flots avaient emporté un promontoire, le manoir de tes amis ou le tien ; la mort de tout homme me diminue, parce que j’appartiens au genre humain ; aussi n’envoie jamais demander pour qui sonne le glas : c’est pour toi qu’il sonne ». (Devotions upon Emergent Occasions, 1624) »

And for those whose French is rusty:

"No man is an island, a whole, suit in itself; every man is a fragment of the continent, a party of group; if the sea takes a clod of earth, Europe is minimized there, as though streams had taken a promontory, the manor of your friends or yours; the death of every man diminishes me, because I belong to the mankind; also never send to ask for whom rings the toll: it is for you that it rings" (Devotions upon Emergent Occasions, 1624, non-colloquial translation from the French.)

I particularly like, "the death of every man diminishes me, because I belong to the mankind".

-Thoth.

Archived