Storyist Forums

Zoom feature and curly quotes

marguerite

Hi, Steve:

I would love to be able to zoom in on my manuscript. As you know from another thread, I prefer to keep my manuscripts in Times New Roman, but I often end up retaining Courier 12, which is easier to read on screen. If I could blow the text up to 200%, that wouldn't be necessary.

Also, I know someone mentioned this earlier (before the forums were set up?), but automatic replacement of straight double and single quote marks with curly quotes would be really useful. The single quotes aren't a big problem, since left single curly quotes are rare in a novel, so find and replace will catch all the right single quotes. But sending in a manuscript with straight double quotes is frowned on these days, and given the amount of dialogue in an average novel, finding and replacing all the curly quotes in Storyist is problematic at best. There are just too many exceptions to run a global search for, say, " or ". So the only real solution is to export the file and run a global search and replace in a word-processing program (admittedly, word-processing programs don't catch all the exceptions either, but they get much closer).

Something else to add to your long list of to-dos.... :)

Marguerite

Hi, Steve:

I would love to be able to zoom in on my manuscript. As you know from another thread, I prefer to keep my manuscripts in Times New Roman, but I often end up retaining Courier 12, which is easier to read on screen. If I could blow the text up to 200%, that wouldn't be necessary.

The popup on the lower left in the status bar allows you to zoom in up to 400%. It also allows you to zoom to fit the page to the height or width of the window. Also, there are commands (with command key equivalents) in the View > Zoom menu to allow you to zoom in and out.

Also, I know someone mentioned this earlier (before the forums were set up?), but automatic replacement of straight double and single quote marks with curly quotes would be really useful. The single quotes aren't a big problem, since left single curly quotes are rare in a novel, so find and replace will catch all the right single quotes. But sending in a manuscript with straight double quotes is frowned on these days, and given the amount of dialogue in an average novel, finding and replacing all the curly quotes in Storyist is problematic at best. There are just too many exceptions to run a global search for, say, " or ". So the only real solution is to export the file and run a global search and replace in a word-processing program (admittedly, word-processing programs don't catch all the exceptions either, but they get much closer).

Marguerite

Yes, Thoth requested this and I've got it on my list. I think it would be very useful.

Thanks Marguerite.

-Steve

The popup on the lower left in the status bar allows you to zoom in up to 400%. It also allows you to zoom to fit the page to the height or width of the window. Also, there are commands (with command key equivalents) in the View > Zoom menu to allow you to zoom in and out.

Yes, Thoth requested this and I've got it on my list. I think it would be very useful.

Thanks Marguerite.

-Steve

Ah, sneaky of you to hide it in plain sight! Thanks. I slide away, enlightened ... and appreciative. I really must check out all those controls sometime. :)

Best,

Marguerite

• 2 months later...
I know someone mentioned this earlier (before the forums were set up?), but automatic replacement of straight double and single quote marks with curly quotes would be really useful. The single quotes aren't a big problem, since left single curly quotes are rare in a novel, so find and replace will catch all the right single quotes. But sending in a manuscript with straight double quotes is frowned on these days, and given the amount of dialogue in an average novel, finding and replacing all the curly quotes in Storyist is problematic at best. There are just too many exceptions to run a global search for, say, " or ". So the only real solution is to export the file and run a global search and replace in a word-processing program (admittedly, word-processing programs don't catch all the exceptions either, but they get much closer).

Something else to add to your long list of to-dos.... :lol:

Marguerite

Storyist 1.3.2 will automatically substitute curly quotes for strait quotes as you type if you are running Leopard.

Still to do:

• Block replacement of quotes.
  • Tiger support for auto-quotes.

-Steve

• 3 months later...
Storyist 1.3.2 will automatically substitute curly quotes for strait quotes as you type if you are running Leopard.

No true here, and I'm running Leopard 10.5.2. I have to remember to tick Edit > Substitutions > Smart Quotes every time I open my doc. Also, I wish one could convert all straight quotes with a single "fix" action.

No true here, and I'm running Leopard 10.5.2. I have to remember to tick Edit > Substitutions > Smart Quotes every time I open my doc.

This does seem to be the case. Thanks for the report. I'll fix this right away.

Also, I wish one could convert all straight quotes with a single "fix" action.

I hear Marguerite cheering in the background. The conversions tools that are on the list are

• Straight quotes to smart quotes.
  • Smart quotes to straight quotes.
  • Two plain dashes to an emdash.
  • Emdashes to two plain dashes.

These might make 1.4 (coming soon).

Isaac and others have asked for more advanced tools, such as the ability to search and replace styles (e.g. italics to underline). If you have any thoughts along these lines, please let me know.

-Steve

I hear Marguerite cheering in the background.

Who, moi? Rah, rah, rah! :rolleyes:

The conversions tools that are on the list are

• Straight quotes to smart quotes.
  • Smart quotes to straight quotes.
  • Two plain dashes to an emdash.
  • Emdashes to two plain dashes.

These might make 1.4 (coming soon).

Isaac and others have asked for more advanced tools, such as the ability to search and replace styles (e.g. italics to underline). If you have any thoughts along these lines, please let me know.

-Steve

Yes, that would all be great. I, too, would love to be able to search and replace styles, but I'll settle for straight/smart quotes and em-dashes for the moment.

I'd also like to see widow/orphan control someday. I know, I seriously need a life, but really, it bugs me to see one little line all on its lonesome! :)

Thanks, Steve

Marguerite

If you have any thoughts along these lines, please let me know.

Hi,

Long ago I suggested a Find/Change/Change All Command along the lines of UNIX's Grep. But it seemed like too much at the time so I suggested "finding a string of a specific style (e.g. bold)" and "changing all instances of one style into another (e.g., all bold to underline)". These sorts of style changers aren't needed often but when they're necessary they're necessary. Which leaves us with either a tedious inspection of the manuscript or exporting it to (**shudder**) Word, for example, and making the change there, It chafes a bit that Storyist is still missing some fairly basic big-time WP functions.

I just thought this might be a good place to bring up some of my concerns (again). Particularly because recognizing a wide variety of styles and characters in FIND and CHANGE would render a long list of special clean-up commands unnecessary.

Too complicated you say? Perhaps. It depends on how you do it.

-Thoth.

• 5 months later...
Hi, Steve:

Marguerite

And now something to check off the list list of to-dos.

Storyist 1.4 adds a new Tools menu that provides commands to make typography changes like curlystraight quote conversion, italicsunderline, and mdashellipsis.

Better yet, the new plugin APIs allow developers to add commands to the menu, so this kind of thing should be easier to implement in the future.

Isaac, for instance, could provide his Smurfifier as a plugin.

-Steve

Archived