Storyist Forums

Anyone program AJAX?

Steakpirate

There's an idea I had last year for a writing tool I think would be insanely useful and reasonably easy to implement, but at the time I didn't know any programmers.

In fact, I still don't. I myself never got much farther than basic PHP and MySQL.

As a college student, I have negative amounts of money (living off loans at any given moment), and can't really afford to pay anyone to program the site. And sure, there's entrepreneurial resources, but who's going to give a college freshman in a suit the time of day?

But I digress. I'm looking for someone who'd be interested in helping me toss together a reasonably good looking/ clean site that would function as a tool for writers, and would have some small lucrative opportunities, and I care more about having it to use than profit, although a combination of the two would be very nice.

If you're interested in hearing me out, I have nondisclosures agreements, a video camera, and a fancy PDF with mockups and flow-charts.

• 2 weeks later...
There's an idea I had last year for a writing tool I think would be insanely useful and reasonably easy to implement, but at the time I didn't know any programmers.

In fact, I still don't. I myself never got much farther than basic PHP and MySQL.

As a college student, I have negative amounts of money (living off loans at any given moment), and can't really afford to pay anyone to program the site. And sure, there's entrepreneurial resources, but who's going to give a college freshman in a suit the time of day?

But I digress. I'm looking for someone who'd be interested in helping me toss together a reasonably good looking/ clean site that would function as a tool for writers, and would have some small lucrative opportunities, and I care more about having it to use than profit, although a combination of the two would be very nice.

If you're interested in hearing me out, I have nondisclosures agreements, a video camera, and a fancy PDF with mockups and flow-charts.

Let me get this straight. You're looking for a multidiscipline software developer (implied by AJAX) to develop a free site, and you want it to look good and clean?

Ambitious. :mellow:

I'd be interested if I wasn't *booked*. (Oh no he didn't)

IF

Let me get this straight. You're looking for a multidiscipline software developer (implied by AJAX) to develop a free site, and you want it to look good and clean?

Ambitious. :)

I'd be interested if I wasn't *booked*. (Oh no he didn't)

IF

Well, as I said, there ARE lucrative possibilities. Through advertising and the possibility of premium benefits, (though I generally hate services you pay for :mellow:), that could certainly equate to a paycheck. But I don't have the money to pay for anything on a serious basis, which is why it'd be better if it were a college student trying to build a portfolio :P

Also, as far as Looking clean goes, no one will ever see the code :lol:

It's Javascript on top of PHP and some other stuff I've forgotten.

It's essentially doing data pushes between the client and server without reloading the page. Client side is written in Javascript. Server side may be written in any number of languages. If you plan to create a maintainable product, I'd stay away from PHP.

IF

I'd be willing to help, but I'm not sure how much help I can offer with college and life needing my time.

My online portfolio is currently down, so I can't really show anything...

If you plan to create a maintainable product, I'd stay away from PHP.

:'( ... Would you recommend Perl instead :mellow:

All I know for web stuff languages are PHP, Perl, and I'm learning a wee bit of Ruby, but it's frustrating that there are no semi-colons.

:'( ... Would you recommend Perl instead :mellow:

Goodness no. Don't get me wrong. Perl was great like 10 years ago. And the fact that it's usually installed on servers makes it easy to target. It's just not good for rapid web application build out.

Learn Ruby. Learn Rails. You could try to learn Merb instead, but it's just merging with Rails in the 3.0 release anyway.

IF

Archived