Storyist Forums

Snow Leopard

Steve E

It has been announced that:

Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller (not Steve Jobs) will use a portion of his keynote address at next month's Macworld Expo to show off a more refined version of the company's upcoming Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard...

I'm a little disappointed that Jobs has disconnected himself from the Macworld Expo but I suppose Schiller will be an adequate shill.

One more thing. Is Apple running out of big cats? Cheetah (10.0), Puma (10.1), Jaguar (10.2), Panther (10.3), Tiger (10.4). Leopard (10.5), and now Snow Leopard (10.6). What's next? The Clouded Leopard? Why are they holding back on Cougar and Lion? And what's wrong with rodents? Perhaps the Bunny doesn't have the right appeal, much less the Muskrat. But what about the Eagle? There are a whole bunch of birds they can choose from (except the Turkey--we'll save that for Windows).

Just a thought.

-Thoth.

It has been announced that:

I'm a little disappointed that Jobs has disconnected himself from the Macworld Expo but I suppose Schiller will be an adequate shill.

One more thing. Is Apple running out of big cats? Cheetah (10.0), Puma (10.1), Jaguar (10.2), Panther (10.3), Tiger (10.4). Leopard (10.5), and now Snow Leopard (10.6). What's next? The Clouded Leopard? Why are they holding back on Cougar and Lion? And what's wrong with rodents? Perhaps the Bunny doesn't have the right appeal, much less the Muskrat. But what about the Eagle? There are a whole bunch of birds they can choose from (except the Turkey--we'll save that for Windows).

Just a thought.

-Thoth.

The name indicates that 10.6 will offer changeable OS themes and nothing exciting beyond that. :lol:

Wait until OS 11 (Sabertooth Motherfuckin' Tiger) which will allow direct brain <-> computer interfacing, run on Apple's global Wi-max network, and be powered by your hopes and dreams.

I'm still pissed they removed the idea of save states (for hot-OS-swapping) from bootcamp and the OS in leopard.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, the Macworld Expo 2009 news so far: In Phil Schiller's keynote address there was no information on Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6). Although the theme music for the keynote was The Best Is Yet To Come, we are three days into the Expo with no firm idea what that "best" is. Steve Jobs wouldn't have left us hanging like this.

News hound,

-Thoth.

Okay, the Macworld Expo 2009 news so far: In Phil Schiller's keynote address there was no information on Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6). Although the theme music for the opening was The Best Is Yet To Come, we are three days into the Expo with no firm idea what that "best" is. Steve Jobs wouldn't have left us hanging like this.

News hound,

-Thoth.

Goofy question of the day: If the real issue with the MacWorld Expo is, as Apple claims in its list of reasons for dropping out after this year, that the January date doesn't mesh with Apple's product development cycle, wouldn't it make sense to reschedule the Expo? It affects many people with fewer resources than Apple (like our own cherished Steve) to have the behemoth stay home--including, I venture to state, MacWorld itself. Surely negotiations are possible.

Steve, how was the show? We haven't heard a peep from you in weeks.

Powerless to change anything, but still feisty!

M

There's nothing "goofy" about that question. MacWorld Expo makes you commit a year in advance or risk losing a good spot (although one of the traditionally "bad" spots turned out to be a "hot" spot this year. Click here for MacWorld stories.) They've even started sending out free registration e-mails for Macworld Expo 2010 already. But without Apple there in 2010 I have to wonder how many of the little guys will attend.

To be frank, I think that it's all the smaller vendors that make any exposition worthwhile. Seriously, would Apple give away prizes for Best Costume at the Expo? I think not. You get too big and old and you lose your sense of whimsy. So to heck with Apple...sorry, sorry, didn't mean it. Don't take my Mac away...

I certainly wouldn't have attended the World's Fair Exposition of 1904, in St. Louis, if they hadn't launched the hamburger, the hot dog, the ice cream cone and iced tea, and just rambled on about the Louisiana Purchase. Would you?

-Thoth.

I thought I read that Apple would attend next year's MacWorld, but there have been a lot of Rumors flying around this week.

As far as the original subject, I think Apple gave MS a major press opportunity by not announcing Snow Leopard. Two days later, MS announced the Windows 7 public beta starting on Friday. Having used Vista, and hated it, I look forward to a new "fixed" (read less awful) version of Windows since I have to support it as a platform.

Hopefully we'll hear about Snow Leopard before the end of the month when Apple celebrates the Mac anniversary (25 years already?).

IF

I thought I read that Apple would attend next year's MacWorld, but there have been a lot of Rumors flying around this week.

Yep. Lots of rumors, including rumors about cancer survivor Steve Job's ill health. He seems to be getting awfully thin. But no matter what the rumors, we all know that people are allowed to change their minds at the last moment, and often do. So let's all keep a good thought.

As far as the original subject, I think Apple gave MS a major press opportunity by not announcing Snow Leopard....

Agreed. But since when is Apple less market savvy than MS? Methinks something is afoot.

Hopefully we'll hear about Snow Leopard before the end of the month when Apple celebrates the Mac anniversary (25 years already?).

I know! It seems like only yesterday (Jan. 24,1984) when the bouncing baby Mac bounced onto the scene and changed everything. (Even my baked goods are fluffier.)

-Thoth.

Steve, how was the show? We haven't heard a peep from you in weeks.

The show was great. Got to meet a lot of customers (including a friend (relative?) of steakpirate) and show off some of the 2.0 features. I'm still digging out from under a pile of business cards, but I'll be posting more soon.

-Steve

Agreed. But since when is Apple less market savvy than MS? Methinks something is afoot.

-Thoth.

Perhaps Apple just wanted to avoid replicating the Vista introduction fiasco, and so held the Snow Leopard announcement until closer to the release date.

MS has never had trouble pushing versions of Windows (or Darth Processor). It's making them work as advertised and keeping every ill-intentioned hacker in the world from messing with them that gives MS fits. My Word 2008 still crashes randomly for no apparent reason, albeit less often than 2004! :huh: And my life has looked so much brighter since I convinced my main client that files produced by the Mac versions of DP and Creative Suite worked just as well as the PC versions. (Helps that the program director is a Mac addict!) :D

It is, of course, terribly wrong of Apple to make fun of Vista's problems. We Storyists deplore such behavior, ahem. But if you have somehow missed the "Get a Mac" ad called "Bean Counter," do go here and check it out.

Says all you need to know, doesn't it? ;)

Best,

M

Okay, it's official. Today Steve Jobs announced that he will be taking "medical leave" of Apple until July. Hey, the guy had pancreatic cancer! How will this effect the Mac Anniversary at the end of this month, or the release of Snow Leopard, I haven't the faintest idea. Not even a conjecture. In any event, here is the official release.

News hound,

-Thoth.

BTW: Who is Tim Cook and is he "insanely great"?

Okay, it's official. Today Steve Jobs announced that he will be taking "medical leave" of Apple until July. Hey, the guy had pancreatic cancer! How will this effect the Mac Anniversary at the end of this month, or the release of Snow Leopard, I haven't the faintest idea. Not even a conjecture. In any event, here is the official release.

I predict that the anniversary will occur even without Steve. :P

IF

I predict that the anniversary will occur even without Steve. :P

Yes an no. Consider what celebrating your anniversary would be like without your spouse. Steve was/is the Mac visionary. I'd even go as far as to suggest that should be his job title: Visionary. So I have to wonder, with The Woz long gone and Tim Cook more of a day-to-day manager kinda guy, who in the Apple crew really has the chops to take over Jobs' job.

And if you think it's Schiller, consider his keynote address at Macworld. Less than engaging. This is not to fault the iLife, IWork and 17" laptop upgrades. But only the face recognition software in iPhoto even approached "insanely great".

Or am I just jaded?

-Thoth.

Yes an no. Consider what celebrating your anniversary would be like without your spouse. Steve was/is the Mac visionary. I'd even go as far as to suggest that should be his job title: Visionary. So I have to wonder, with The Woz long gone and Tim Cook more of a day-to-day manager kinda guy, who in the Apple crew really has the chops to take over Jobs' job.

And if you think it's Schiller, consider his keynote address at Macworld. Less than engaging. This is not to fault the iLife, IWork and 17" laptop upgrades. But only the face recognition software in iPhoto even approached "insanely great".

Or am I just jaded?

-Thoth.

The keynote sucked. Ending on price hikes on songs I would actually buy in the iTunes Store was just the tar icing on the saw dust cake. Still, the anniversary cannot be stopped unless Apple has lost its marketing finesse. People are depressed (esp. after that keynote), so canceling the party would only sour things more.

IF

The keynote sucked. Ending on price hikes on songs I would actually buy in the iTunes Store was just the tar icing on the saw dust cake. Still, the anniversary cannot be stopped unless Apple has lost its marketing finesse. People are depressed (esp. after that keynote), so canceling the party would only sour things more.

Agreed.

All right then.

Looking forward to an Insanely Great party next Saturday (the 24th). Who knows, maybe Steve will make an appearance and name his successor. Nah.

-Thoth.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, Mac's 25th anniversary has come and gone and not a peep from Apple. What are they waiting for?

-Thoth.

Maybe they're waiting for Steve to come back.

Could be. But by then (July '09) they'd be well past the anniversary date. So I guess they're not going to have a Mac anniversary celebration (with or without Steve). It's sad that they don't seem to have anyone else with Steve Job's spark.

-Thoth.

BTW: Steve S., "Last Click" tells me you're reading this. Do you have any inside dope?

Archived