Storyist Forums

What are you reading?

pjl

What are you reading?

Odds are you're reading 50 Shades of Gray but are reluctant to admit it. This book is approaching 20,000,000 copies sold! Publishers everywhere are looking for the next big S&M Romance novel. What's going on here? Why are people so crazy for this book?

Puzzled.

-T

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you reading?

Odds are you're reading 50 Shades of Gray but are reluctant to admit it. This book is approaching 20,000,000 copies sold! Publishers everywhere are looking for the next big S&M Romance novel. What's going on here? Why are people so crazy for this book?

Puzzled.

-T

Perhaps tens of millions of people feel their sex lives are unsatisfactory?

Orren

I have to wonder how many copies are just the curiosity copies that then get tossed. How many copies have the other two in the series sold, or is that number the whole series?

I admit I am curious about why it's so darn popular, but I wouldn't buy it and read it. I don't have any interests in 50 shades of kink and bad writing. ^_^ I read an article that mentioned it and quoted some lines that were so much worse than Myer's "alabaster brow" it's funny. You all know that 50 started as Twilight Fan Fic right? >_<

Anybody read the parody 50 Shames of Earl Gray?

- J

Perhaps tens of millions of people feel their sex lives are unsatisfactory?

Maybe. But do you really think they're looking to 50 Shades for ideas for spicing up their sex lives? Be warned, no sex or violence for the first 110 pages. It just rambles on about a 21-year-old virgin protagonist becoming infatuated with a 27-year-old self-made billionaire philanthropist who owns his own torture chamber. Humph. Maybe you're right.

-T

Hi Julibear.

Nice hearing from you.

I have to wonder how many copies are just the curiosity copies that then get tossed.

Mine was.

How many copies have the other two in the series sold, or is that number the whole series?

As far as I know, the 20M number is just for the first book. I have no idea how well the other two are selling. But you're right. That would tell us a lot.

I admit I am curious about why it's so darn popular, but I wouldn't buy it and read it.

Good for you. Don't make my mistake.

I don't have any interests in 50 shades of kink and bad writing. ^_^ I read an article that mentioned it and quoted some lines that were so much worse than Myer's "alabaster brow" it's funny.

So true. The way Anastasia Steele (no kidding, that's her name) gushes over Christian Grey is a little nauseating. It's made all the worse when she alternates between gushing love and gushing hate, all in her head of course. But then, that's standard for Romance novels, isn't it?

You all know that 50 started as Twilight Fan Fic right? >_<

I didn't know that. But it explains a lot. Well, some. Is there a lot of spanking going on in the Twilight Saga?

Anybody read the parody 50 Shames of Earl Gray?

Is it funny? Where can I find it?

-T

Maybe. But do you really think they're looking to 50 Shades for ideas for spicing up their sex lives?

I've no idea.

I've not got any interest in it, not even passing curiosity. So I have to try and use my imagination to dream up reasons why people might be interested in it. I can imagine millions of people are sexually unsatisfied. I can also imagine millions of people are being mind controlled by an evil publishing overlord. I've no idea if either are true, however. :)

Orren

I've not got any interest in it, not even passing curiosity. So I have to try and use my imagination to dream up reasons why people might be interested in it. I can imagine millions of people are sexually unsatisfied. I can also imagine millions of people are being mind controlled by an evil publishing overlord. I've no idea if either are true, however. :)

I cast my vote for the evil publishing overlords.

This just in, sorta. 50 Shades has expanded to an additional demographic: teen girls. They're calling the book the next Harry Potter. (Probably just a comment on sales.)

-T

Hi Julibear.

Nice hearing from you.

Mine was.

[/font][/color][/size]

As far as I know, the 20M number is just for the first book. I have no idea how well the other two are selling. But you're right. That would tell us a lot.

Good for you. Don't make my mistake.

So true. The way Anastasia Steele (no kidding, that's her name) gushes over Christian Grey is a little nauseating. It's made all the worse when she alternates between gushing love and gushing hate, all in her head of course. But then, that's standard for Romance novels, isn't it?

[/font][/color][/size]

I didn't know that. But it explains a lot. Well, some. Is there a lot of spanking going on in the Twilight Saga?

Is it funny? Where can I find it?

-T

Yea, I'm still kicking around. Getting busy with all sorts of crazy business stuff, so I haven't had much time for forums. ^_^

I haven't read 50 Shames either, so I can't tell you if it's good, but it has good ratings on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...tmm_pap_title_0

I've no idea.

Orren

Haha, Mind Control sounds pretty plausible.

- Joules

Yea, I'm still kicking around. Getting busy with all sorts of crazy business stuff, so I haven't had much time for forums. ^_^

Ah yes. The business stuff. The bane of my existence.

I haven't read 50 Shames either, so I can't tell you if it's good, but it has good ratings on Amazon.

Ha! Sounds pretty funny. I'll put it on my list. (God, I love a good parody.)

The smirking. Oh dear Lordy, the smirking.

-T

...I haven't read 50 Shames either, so I can't tell you if it's good, but it has good ratings on Amazon.

It's hard to believe how many people have jumped on the parody bandwagon.

I was just browsing Amazon and several Shades parodies popped up. Among them, in no particular order:

Fifty Shades of Pink: A Parody

Fifty Shades of Beige: Book One of the Fifty Shades Parody

Fifty Shades of Black and Blue

Filthy Shames of Lame

Fifty Shades of Gravy

Fifty Shades of Twilight

Fifty Shades of Garbage

Fifty Shades of Silver Hair and Socks

Fifty Shades of Grey and Zombies

There is also a non-parody non-fiction called A Million Shades of Green: The Real Story Behind Fifty Shades of Grey which claims to give the evolution of the book and explain the "phenomenon". And, of course, there is the inevitable, A Guy's Secret Guide to Fifty Shades of Grey. I think you know what's next.

At least writers are making a living.

***sigh***

(I'm currently re-reading Ulysses. :) )

-T

• 1 month later...

Like most of us I had forgotten that this thread existed.

I'm back to pick it up.

What am I reading?

I'm currently reading The Golden Lynx: Legends of the Five Directions (Volume 1) by our very own C.P. Lesley (better known on these forums as Marguerite). It is an historical adventure that takes place in 16th century Russia. The hero is a 16-year-old girl who puts on boy's clothes and goes out into the night (Batman-like) to help those in need. There is a fascinating mythological element in the prologue that has whetted my appetite (like a good hook should) for the adventure to come.

Looking forward to the adventure.

-Thoth

:D And thank you!

Hope you enjoy it. I'm going to talk to my local library tomorrow about it and Sir Percy. Trying to decide what to say, which is made more difficult by having little idea about how many people to expect. Only four are signed up, but the populace has figured out that the library is only kidding when it threatens to shut anyone out who has not made a prior reservation....

Ah well, if it's only four, we can go out for pizza, right? ;)

Best,

M

Dang, why didn't I think of that? And we have a Dunkin' Donuts in town, too (to the great distress of the food police, it has knocked 'em dead in terms of sales).

Well, maybe I'll pick up a box of Munchkins and feed those who appear. Then next time I give a talk, I should be mobbed. :)

Thanks for the good wishes,

M

Cute. Russians had donuts, actually, even in the 16th century. But I bet the vodka would have been a big hit. :lol:

Eight people showed up, bought two books (not a bad ratio), and no one fell asleep, so I guess it turned out okay.

And now it's Friday. Hallelujah! My goal is to get past chapter 3 on the new WIP this weekend.

Storyist typing fingers poised and ready,

M

... And now it's Friday. Hallelujah! My goal is to get past chapter 3 on the new WIP this weekend.

Storyist typing fingers poised and ready,

M, you are a writing machine.

And on a somewhat different topic.

J.K. Rowling has a new book out. It's called The Casual Vacancy and "This is set in a tiny English town and deals with politics, class struggle, poverty, drug use, child abuse, rape, self-mutilation, suicide, pedophilia, mental illness and other ugly realities." Also, lots of salty language and no magic. I'm guessing that this one is for adults.

Given that it may be a little while before you finish your next book I think I'll put this on my list for later.

-T

:D

Yes, apparently JKR's latest is all Dursleys, all the time. And for adults, as you say. The Times panned it as dull, although with all that going on, it seems as if she must have three scandals per page. How dull can it be? Do I detect disappointment over the lack of phoenix-tail elder wands?

I may read it someday, but for the moment I have a ton of stuff to get through. And since my alter ego, C. P. Lesley, is about to become the Podcasting Queen of Historical Fiction (on which, more soon), i need to focus on that when not putting my Tatars through their paces.

What am I reading?

Julian Berengaut, The Estate of Wormwood and Honey, to be followed by G. K. George, To Kill a Tsar, and Laurie R. King, Garment of Shadows. That should keep me occupied for quite a while.

Best,

M

Yes, apparently JKR's latest is all Dursleys, all the time. And for adults, as you say. The Times panned it as dull, although with all that going on, it seems as if she must have three scandals per page. How dull can it be? Do I detect disappointment over the lack of phoenix-tail elder wands?

I am concerned about the NYT review but they're only muggles. When an author becomes famous for writing one way, reviewers are often thrown for a loop when that style changes. They were expecting a fantasy adventure and they got dark drama. I respect the NYT critics but, as you say, How dull can it be?

Enjoy your Tatars.

-T

• 5 months later...

As I seem to every so often, I shall reignite this again to bring up Orson Scott Card. This time, however, because the universe seems to be moving in the right direction. As I've said before, due to his obsession with spreading hate and intolerance, I refuse to knowingly put a dollar in his pocket.

Well, I never made mention of it here (why would I?) but DC Comics, in order to milk as much as they can out of the forthcoming Superman movie, will be releasing a new digital-comic first Superman weekly comic. 99¢/digital issue, with the short stories from digital version being compiled into a print "maxi-comic" over time. And the lead off "marquee" story was going to be written by Orson Scott Card.

But a funny thing happened to DC Comics on the way to the bank. The Internet exploded. 16,000 people signed a petition demanding DC Comics remove him due to his toxic views and financial support of hate groups. (To put that number in perspective, an issue of Superman might only sell 25,000 copies). Comic book store owners went on record saying they'll refuse to stock or special order the collected issue with his story in it. And now, the artist has officially dropped off the project: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2013/03/05/chris-sprouse-orson-scott-card-superman-comic/1964845/

This is a free country, and OSC is absolutely within his legal right to give money to hate groups and speak out in favor of bigotry. But in a free country, there are repercussions for choosing that path as well. And it gives me great pride that the geek community to which I identify both as a fan and creator would stand together against intolerance.

Orren

....And it gives me great pride that the geek community to which I identify both as a fan and creator would stand together against intolerance.

Score one for the good guys.

But Orren, What are you reading?

As for myself, I just ordered the paperback version of Drift by Rachel Maddow and I am (finally!) finishing up Tenth of December by George Saunders (you'd think it would be a fast read but since each story in it is so self-contained it's hard to get around to picking it up again).

-Thoth

But Orren, What are you reading?

I'm actually in writing mode right now. So most of what I've been doing is intense outlining research and scripting. When I do read for pleasure during writer mode, I want it to be mindless, something that won't take any thought and has nothing to do with what I'm working on. So when I break, I've been reading "The Complete History of the Batmobile" which covers the earliest comics through the 2012 Nolan movie, and is a kick. :)

Orren

I'm actually in writing mode right now. So most of what I've been doing is intense outlining research and scripting. When I do read for pleasure during writer mode, I want it to be mindless, something that won't take any thought and has nothing to do with what I'm working on.

Understood. Personally, I hate reading mindless stuff while I'm in writing mode. I want to be inspired by brilliant prose and deep thoughts. I save the mindless stuff for the throne (if you follow me).

So when I break, I've been reading "The Complete History of the Batmobile" which covers the earliest comics through the 2012 Nolan movie, and is a kick. :)

"The Complete History of the Batmobile" sounds like fun. I trust there are pictures. Are there specs like (real and fictional) weight, horsepower, top speed, acceleration, etcetera? I remember one comic Batmobile (where Robin was a girl) as being literally a tank. How cool is that?

Enjoy.

-T

Archived