Storyist Forums

What are you reading?

pjl

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to try and read 52 books this year. I could read more, but... I have other stuff (like writing! 0__o;:mellow: to do. I'll keep it updated. By the way, Thoth, I'd bet an EAO was behind each of those boys. Silly things.

3am makes me cheeky! Goodnight!

- Calli

I'm going to try and read 52 books this year. I could read more, but... I have other stuff (like writing! 0__o;:mellow: to do.

Ambitious. Good luck with that. Me, I enjoy the occasional movie. Heck, I'm paying for the Optimum I/O Gold Package. I might as well get my money's worth.

By the way, Thoth, I'd bet an EAO was behind each of those boys. Silly things.

Genghis and Attila? I wouldn't be a bit surprised, my dear Callista.

3am makes me cheeky! Goodnight!

It makes me punchy, fellow time-zoner. Time to stop writing and go bedie-by.

Pleasant dreams.

-Thoth.

M, if Genghis (founder of the Mongol empire) and Attila (king of the Huns) were opponents, who would win? And if an EAO tried to put them in neckties or corsets, how would they respond? Please type your answers.

-Thoth.

My money's on Genghis (way bigger hordes). I think they'd both look lovely in corsets--perhaps a little mauve or scarlet number with lace and matching bow tie. There's an EAO on the job as we speak (time travel is no hindrance to overladies). :P

I'd suggest a nice pair of stiletto heels to go with, but they would probably make it difficult to stay on a horse, so I doubt even an EAO could get Genghis and Attila into them for long....

Please type my answers? As distinct from what: hurling them by overmuffin? :mellow:

M

My money's on Genghis (way bigger hordes).

Yep. All the overladies love a guy with great big hordes. ;)

I'd suggest a nice pair of stiletto heels to go with, but they would probably make it difficult to stay on a horse, so I doubt even an EAO could get Genghis and Attila into them for long....

Oh, I don't know. Them stilettos could act as spurs. It might be just the thing for a mounted cavalry,

Please type my answers? As distinct from what: hurling them by overmuffin? :huh:

Smoke signals, message arrows, carrier pigeons, carrier musk ox, whatever those ancients did for communication.

-Thoth.

Sheesh. And I thought this conversation had hit bottom when we put Genghis in a lavender corset with heels and a pretty matching ribbon round his neck. ;) indeed.

1. Things can always get worse.

2. What do you mean we, paleface? If I'm not mistaken, you put Genghis in a lavender corset with heels and a pretty matching ribbon round his neck.

3. Wash, rinse, repeat, ad infinitum.

:huh:

-Thoth.

Sheesh. And I thought this conversation had hit bottom when we put Genghis in a lavender corset with heels and a pretty matching ribbon round his neck. :huh: indeed.

M

I didn't chime in earlier, but I'm sure when presented with such a thing, Genghis would try to mate with it.

IF

I was going to leave that, but since my vague references are usually lost, I'll point at EAO pups.

Are we talking Natasha Henstridge (Species I & II) or Sunny Mabrey (Species III and all those nude scenes)? Or perhaps the Swedish actress Helena Mattsson (Species - The Awakening). It's all good. And they'd all make terrific EAOs. And are we talking live births (Species I) or pods (all the rest)? I see Genghis as the pod type.

Vague movie references? No such animal.

-Thoth.

2. What do you mean we, paleface? If I'm not mistaken, you put Genghis in a lavender corset with heels and a pretty matching ribbon round his neck.

:huh:

-Thoth.

:D

But I just supplied the lavender and lace. The original idea came from you:

And if an EAO tried to put them [Genghis and Attila] in neckties or corsets, how would they respond? Please type your answers.

-Thoth.

So there! ;)

M

Touché, mon ami.

I think Attila would enjoy the corset, seeing it as a kind of fancy armor but he wouldn't go for the tie. Genghis would approve of both while ridding or holding court (he loved to get gussied up for the troups) but would wear neither in his intimate hours.

As for stiletto heals (which you didn't ask about but I'm answering for extra credit) I think they'd think they would make fine and fancy spurs.

Just my opinion,

-Thoth.

Touché, mon ami.

I think Attila would enjoy the corset, seeing it as a kind of fancy armor but he wouldn't go for the tie. Genghis would approve of both while ridding or holding court (he loved to get gussied up for the troups) but would wear neither in his intimate hours.

As for stiletto heals (which you didn't ask about but I'm answering for extra credit) I think they'd think they would make fine and fancy spurs.

Just my opinion,

-Thoth.

Inspired by this, er, in-depth discussion (and the need to avoid real work :huh:) I have finally gotten my act together and updated my website, so if anyone wants to discover what I'm doing with all these books on Mongols, you can find the early results here. There's a link to a short story I wrote for a workshop that has since been recast from the heroine's point of view and become the basis of chapter 2.

Not quite Genghis in a lavender silk corset, but close. ;)

M

No one knows that Moscow's latest hero, the Golden Lynx, is a sixteen-year-old Tatar princess named Nasan... Throw in some vampires and you may have trouble finding a publisher...but not a producer. I think Joss Whedon is looking for something to do after Dollhouse (assuming he chooses not to bring Dr. Horrible to broadcast TV).

Well, at least you didn't call her The Golden Minx. That would have been an entirely different kind of story.

And...yes, I too would like to see the story from her point of view.

The Wensleydale Wombat (he woms by night and bats by day/have no fear cricketeers/the Wensleydale Wombat is here!)

-Thoth.

BTW: I think it's perfectly fine to talk about what you're writing in a thread about what you're reading. I never read any writing as many times as what I have written myself.

No one knows that Moscow's latest hero, the Golden Lynx, is a sixteen-year-old Tatar princess named Nasan... Throw in some vampires and you may have trouble finding a publisher...but not a producer. I think Joss Whedon is looking for something to do after Dollhouse (assuming he chooses not to bring Dr. Horrible to broadcast TV).

Well, at least you didn't call her The Golden Minx. That would have been an entirely different kind of story.

And...yes, I too would like to see the story from her point of view.

The Wensleydale Wombat (he woms by night and bats by day/have no fear cricketeers/the Wensleydale Wombat is here!)

-Thoth.

BTW: I think it's perfectly fine to talk about what you're writing in a thread about what you're reading. I never read any writing as many times as what I have written myself.

Hmm. Not sure what you're trying to communicate here. This isn't Twilight but an adventure story with some romance thrown in and an unusual setting. Am I missing something? :huh:

But thank you for checking out my site.

The Wensleydale Wombat had better watch his step. One run-in with the Golden Minx, and he could find himself traipsing to cricket matches in a corset and stiletto heels. ;)

Best,

M

Hmm. Not sure what you're trying to communicate here. This isn't Twilight but an adventure story with some romance thrown in and an unusual setting. Am I missing something? :huh:

Just that the "twist" of a teenage girl being the action hero isn't really a twist anymore (thank you Joss). But so what? It's still fresher than the "throbbing antihero" you see these days in most adventure and romance stories. Have you noticed how nearly all the heros are antiheroes? There's just got to be a little bad in the best of us to satisfy the public's current tastes.

But thank you for checking out my site.

My pleasure.

The Wensleydale Wombat had better watch his step. One run-in with the Golden Minx, and he could find himself traipsing to cricket matches in a corset and stiletto heels. ;)

There's a story behind the Wensleydale Wombat (master batsman) but I'll save it for another time. And, btw, he'd probably enjoy playing in a corset and stiletto heels just to show up the other players.

:D

-Thoth.

Just that the "twist" of a teenage girl being the action hero isn't really a twist anymore (thank you Joss). But so what? It's still fresher than the "throbbing antihero" you see these days in most adventure and romance stories. Have you noticed how nearly all the heros are antiheroes? There's just got to be a little bad in the best of us to satisfy the public's current tastes.

-Thoth.

Thanks for the explanation. Actually the Golden Lynx only begins life as a teenage girl. There is a twist to the story that emerges toward the end. So far I haven't come up with a teaser that hints at the twist without giving too much of the plot away, but your point is well taken.

The current taste for semi-human heroes is indeed bizarre. Every other romance novel has a leading werewolf or vampire. Call me old-fashioned--or just old--but I gotta think a guy I couldn't leave alone in the house without wondering whether he was going to take out the cat (or even the steak I'd planned to serve for dinner) would really get on my nerves.

And the howling! Sheesh, I'd be pushing him out the door to the local bar. :huh:

Perhaps the WW could teach Genghis and Attila the manly art of cricket. What a charming lingerie-clad trio they would make!

Best,

M

What about this version? Too vague?

"When the feud threatens to explode once more, however, only Moscow's latest hero, the Golden Lynx, can save the day.

But who is the Golden Lynx, and what price must Nasan pay to protect those she loves?"

Yes, I know we're even farther away from what we're reading, but you're reading this, aren't you? :huh:

M

Archived