Storyist Forums

Closing Storyboard Alternative

Steve E

I would like to propose an alternative for closing the Storyboard.

Clicking a (Character or Plot, etc.) button currently displays the Storyboard. How about hiding it by clicking the same button? I know. You're thinking, "but what if I forget what I'm looking at?". No problem. Clicking another button (e.g., Character, Plot, etc) either changes the Storyboard or closes it. Obviously, double-clicking (or clicking twice) any of these buttons closes the Storyboard.

It's simple, neat, consistent and very useful if, for some reason, you choose to eliminate the big Storyboard Button. (Not that I have any reason to think you're planning to do that.)

Just a thought,

-Thoth

I would like to propose an alternative for closing the Storyboard.

Clicking a (Character or Plot, etc.) button currently displays the Storyboard. How about hiding it by clicking the same button? I know. You're thinking, "but what if I forget what I'm looking at?". No problem. Clicking another button (e.g., Character, Plot, etc) either changes the Storyboard or closes it. Obviously, double-clicking (or clicking twice) any of these buttons closes the Storyboard.

It's simple, neat, consistent and very useful if, for some reason, you choose to eliminate the big Storyboard Button. (Not that I have any reason to think you're planning to do that.)

Just a thought,

-Thoth

This would be problematic in a couple scenarios:

1) You click on a toolbar icon (e.g. Character) and then navigate around in the split view that opens, perhaps ending up in the manuscript. If I showed an alternate state for the button (which the Apple human interface guidelines suggest), the button (in the case the Character button) would be shown in the depressed state, but the view would be showing something else.

2) You click on a toolbar icon and then split the view that opens. What should a second click close? Only the first view? The first view and the split? And how would you represent to the writer what would happen.

I agree that there needs to be some way to close the split view easily.

-Steve

1) You click on a toolbar icon (e.g. Character) and then navigate around in the split view that opens, perhaps ending up in the manuscript. If I showed an alternate state for the button (which the Apple human interface guidelines suggest), the button (in the case the Character button) would be shown in the depressed state, but the view would be showing something else.

Well, you don't indicate a depressed button state now, so it shouldn't matter. If I'm in the manuscript and I click Character again it's because I want to see the characters. To close just click Character again or double-click (or click twice) on any of the other Storyboard related toolbar buttons. Make sense?

2) You click on a toolbar icon and then split the view that opens. What should a second click close? Only the first view? The first view and the split? And how would you represent to the writer what would happen.

The first view and the split. It would be represented to the writer the way most programs represent things: you try it and see what happens, then you know. Too authoritarian?

To be candid, I don't have any strong feelings about how "easy close" is accomplished. I'm sure whatever you come up with will be brilliant (and then we'll all complain about it).

-Thoth.

Archived