Storyist Forums

Section and Chapter Confusion

akyi

Two of my storyist files seem to have developed a few ticks.

PROBLEM I:

When I add chapters to the manuscript, the chapter icon appears in the left project pane with no problem.

When I add sections (using the menu or the plus sign at the bottom of the project pane), I can add ONE section to a chapter. If I try to add any other sections to the same chapter, (through the menu or the plus sign at the bottom of the project panel) nothing happens. Or, more specifically, it seems to add a blank line to the manuscript but it does not add a new section to the manuscript or section sheets.

These documents are now also not putting in the # section separator when I create a new section as well.

I can add sections manually by writing in the manuscript pane, however.

If I go to "Section Sheets" in the Project pane, I get the exact same behavior as described above.

I did change the style definitions and I'm afraid that is what I did to break this... though all I THOUGHT I did was change the font.

I tried to troubleshoot this by fiddling with the styles... but, when I did, I managed to crash Storyist completely. (Note to self, do not select all and hit revert to original style...)

PROBLEM Ia:

Possibly related to above. When I go to Format... Manuscript... Define Outline Elements, something isn't right. When I create a new doc, the Default Style for Body Text is Section Text. On these messed up documents, its Header. When I change that Default Style for Body Text, the setting doesn't stick! No amount of switching it around makes any difference.

PROBLEM II:

When I go to assign a plot point or character development point to a section, I get a list (when clicking 'assign to') of every section that has ever existed in that file, not just the sections that are in place now.

PROBLEM III:

I am getting an awful lot of graphical artifacting when using certain parts of this application. Filling out character development points was particularly difficult as the width of the 'field' in which i was typing character development point descriptions kept changing. Sometimes the field would appear to be much narrower than necessary. Sometimes the field ABOVE the one I was working on would change size for no apparent reason. Sometimes the fields would resize themselves rapidly and leave behind artifacts on the screen making the text I was writing incomprehensible. I can get past this by scrolling up a page and back down again.

PROBLEM IV:

When trying to add sections to the project pane by working in the manuscript, the menu that pops up when you hit enter on an empty line will occasionally show up so that the bottom of that menu is below the bottom of my laptop screen.

My Mac Info:

MacBook, Intel Dual Core

1GB RAM

1280 x 800 Res

Mac OSX 10.4.10 with all patches

Latest download of Storyist (1.2.2)

Let me know if I can provide more specific information.

Two of my storyist files seem to have developed a tick.

PROBLEM I:

When I add chapters to the manuscript, the chapter icon appears in the left project pane with no problem.

When I add sections (using the menu or the plus sign at the bottom of the project pane), I can add ONE section to a chapter. If I try to add any other sections to the same chapter, (through the menu or the plus sign at the bottom of the project panel) nothing happens. Or, more specifically, it seems to add a blank line to the manuscript but it does not add a new section to the manuscript or section sheets.

These documents are now also not putting in the # section separator when I create a new section as well.

I can add sections manually by writing in the manuscript pane, however.

If I go to "Section Sheets" in the Project pane, I get the exact same behavior as described above.

I did change the style definitions and I'm afraid that is what I did to break this... though all I THOUGHT I did was change the font.

I tried to troubleshoot this by fiddling with the styles... but, when I did, I managed to crash Storyist completely. (Note to self, do not select all and hit revert to original style...)

PROBLEM II:

When I go to assign a plot point or character development point to a section, I get a list (when clicking 'assign to') of every section that has ever existed in that file, not just the ones that are in place now.

Let me know if I can provide more specific information.

Hi akyi,

I'm trying to reproduce what you are seeing. Here is what I tried:

1. Create a new story from the Novel template.
  2. Place the cursor in the manuscript and select all.
  3. Press delete.
  4. Select Story > Add Chapter.
  5. The title of the new chapter is selected in the project pane. I typed a new title.
  6. Select Story > Add Section. This adds a new section, complete with section separator.
  7. Add a title to the section.
  8. Select Story > Add Section again.

The second section (and others after it) appear as requested, all with section separators. I must be missing a step. Can you provide any additional information on how to reproduce what you are seeing?

You mentioned that you changed the style definitions. If you'd like, I'll take a look at the file for you and see if I can see anything (I'll send you my email address in a PM).

The second issue you mention is a known bug and the beta testers are testing the fix. The fix will be released shortly, but if you'd like to try it yourself, let me know.

-Steve

Hi akyi,

I'm trying to reproduce what you are seeing. Here is what I tried:

1. Create a new story from the Novel template.
  2. Place the cursor in the manuscript and select all.
  3. Press delete.
  4. Select Story > Add Chapter.
  5. The title of the new chapter is selected in the project pane. I typed a new title.
  6. Select Story > Add Section. This adds a new section, complete with section separator.
  7. Add a title to the section.
  8. Select Story > Add Section again.

The second section (and others after it) appear as requested, all with section separators. I must be missing a step. Can you provide any additional information on how to reproduce what you are seeing?

You mentioned that you changed the style definitions. If you'd like, I'll take a look at the file for you and see if I can see anything (I'll send you my email address in a PM).

The second issue you mention is a known bug and the beta testers are testing the fix. The fix will be released shortly, but if you'd like to try it yourself, let me know.

-Steve

This is definitely an issue with my already created files, not with a brand new file from one of your templates. I can't replicate the problem either now. I will take you up on your offer to look at the currently messed up files. Thank you.

(Oh, and I was adding a bunch of things to my original post when you replied. Did you have a chance to see the expanded post?)

This is definitely an issue with my already created files, not with a brand new file from one of your templates. I can't replicate the problem either now. I will take you up on your offer to look at the currently messed up files. Thank you.

(Oh, and I was adding a bunch of things to my original post when you replied. Did you have a chance to see the expanded post?)

Hi ayki,

Some more information on the issues you mention:

PROBLEM 1: Thanks for the files. There is a bug in the style code that manifests itself in certain circumstances that depend on the order of the body text styles in the stylesheet. I've fixed this for 1.2.3 which will be out shortly. The work around for earlier versions is to edit all body styles except for "Section Text".

PROBLEM 1A: Related to the above. Fixed 1.2.3.

PROBLEM II: Fixed for 1.2.3.

PROBLEM III: The changing of the field width is a bug in the Apple table code that occurs if a cell has more than one paragraph. I've added a work-around to 1.2.3 so that the sheet fields do not have more than one paragraph by default (as they do now). You'll still see the problem if your description fields have more than one paragraph.

PROBLEM IV: Fixed for 1.2.3.

Thanks for the reports.

By the way, I liked the template you sent. :) I hope you'll consider posting it when it is done.

-Steve

• 1 year later...

I. Section/chapter contents become displaced throughout my project if I drag and drop them to a different spot. When I check the section/chapter that I moved, it is usually empty and its contents are somewhere between where it was originally and where I put it.

II. Also, section titles frequently become redefined as "Untitled Section"

Macbook Pro, OSX Leopard, Storyist 1.5

I. Section/chapter contents become displaced throughout my project if I drag and drop them to a different spot. When I check the section/chapter that I moved, it is usually empty and its contents are somewhere between where it was originally and where I put it.

II. Also, section titles frequently become redefined as "Untitled Section"

Macbook Pro, OSX Leopard, Storyist 1.5

Hi R.Whitacre,

Thanks for the report. I can't seem to reproduce this with the manuscripts in our test suite or any of my personal manuscripts. If you have any additional information on how to make this happen, please forward it on. I'd be happy to take a look at the file for you (if you are comfortable sending it) or a sample file that exhibits the issue.

-Steve

Archived