Storyist Forums

ETA for V2 or screenshots?

gina171

Hi there, any updates on the release date for V2 and the screenshot views of Full Screen mode and Collage mode? I bought Storyist last month, anticipating these new changes which are very important to my project, but am wondering that if V2 is not available quite yet due to due diligence and fine tuning, could we please see some of the V2 screenshots in the meantime? Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gina

Hi there, any updates on the release date for V2 and the screenshot views of Full Screen mode and Collage mode? I bought Storyist last month, anticipating these new changes which are very important to my project, but am wondering that if V2 is not available quite yet due to due diligence and fine tuning, could we please see some of the V2 screenshots in the meantime? Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gina

Hi Gina,

Thanks for your patience. I'm working on a short screencast to preview the new features and hope to post it later today. In the meantime, here is a quick screenshot of the "collage" mode for you. More on the way (and I haven't forgotten about you BT).

-Steve

Storyist2Preview.png

Hi Gina,

Thanks for your patience. I'm working on a short screencast to preview the new features and hope to post it later today. In the meantime, here is a quick screenshot of the "collage" mode for you. More on the way (and I haven't forgotten about you BT).

-Steve

Awesome. Thank you. I was wondering, but hadn't posted further for fear of sounding pushy. A screencast will be awesome. The screenshot you gave looks really nice. I like the collage mode as pictured. And I like that there is an images items on the left now.

One question/suggestion/whatever though. In the left bar, The order is Section Sheets, Characters, Plot, Settings, etc... Since Characters and Settings are both 'things," and Section Sheets and Plot are both story development tools, it seems like bringing Plot up between Section Sheets and Characters would be more orderly and create a better workflow. My suggested order for the entire bar would be Manuscript, Section Sheets, Plot, Characters, Settings, Notebook, Images, Bookmarks. And when Props are added, I'd place those beneath Settings. Notice I said 'when' and not 'if.' I'm not pushy. Not at all. Of course, reorganizing the bar is so minor that it doesn't really matter if it ever happens. I just thought I'd point it out in case you agreed and it would be a simple change to make. Don't fret if this requires major changes.

Thanks for the update,

BT

One question/suggestion/whatever though. In the left bar, The order is Section Sheets, Characters, Plot, Settings, etc... Since Characters and Settings are both 'things," and Section Sheets and Plot are both story development tools, it seems like bringing Plot up between Section Sheets and Characters would be more orderly and create a better workflow. My suggested order for the entire bar would be Manuscript, Section Sheets, Plot, Characters, Settings, Notebook, Images, Bookmarks. And when Props are added, I'd place those beneath Settings. Notice I said 'when' and not 'if.' I'm not pushy. Not at all. Of course, reorganizing the bar is so minor that it doesn't really matter if it ever happens. I just thought I'd point it out in case you agreed and it would be a simple change to make.

Bookmarks should definitely be last and the plot/character/setting should agree with the toolbar. Good observations.

Don't fret if this requires major changes.

It doesn't--which is perhaps why I was a little careless here. The Project view in 2 is a LOT more flexible.

• The project can have multiple manuscripts (or scripts).
  • You (the writer) can reorder, rename, duplicate, or delete any item in the pane.
  • You can drag files to the project view to import them.

-Steve

I'm working on a short screencast to preview the new features and hope to post it later today.

I'm having some audio issues (older USB mic), so the screencast is, unfortunately, a silent film at the moment.

In any case, you can see some of the new UI here. The full screen mode + workspaces portion comes at about 3:15.

More to come...

-Steve

I'm having some audio issues (older USB mic), so the screencast is, unfortunately, a silent film at the moment.

In any case, you can see some of the new UI here. The full screen mode + workspaces portion comes at about 3:15.

More to come...

-Steve

As for the old mic, there's just one thing I have to say. *cue up dramatic music* Shut up. You had me from 'Fullscreen.'

Wow. I am stunned. Any doubts that I had how this would compare to the in-progress Scrivener 2.0 have been squished beneath your massive thumb. You are the God of writing software developers. I love the workspaces feature, which I'm assuming allow you to quickly switch between different personalized layouts in a single click. This is nearly perfect. You have implemented almost everything I could have asked for. Thank you so much!

A couple of questions...

Are the split screens limitless? (i.e. Split the main to have two. Split one of those to have three, as in the screencast. Split the other to have four. Split one of those to have five. Et cetera.)

Are props in the foreseeable future?

Are timelines in the foreseeable future?

For the sheets (let's use Characters as the example), the way things are in the version I have has the Appearance section, with all of the fields beneath, such as Age, Height and Weight, etc. I always found that I ended up adding things that weren't related to appearance, such as background details, personality traits, etc. The other areas didn't seem to cover a lot of what I needed, so I added these things to the appearance section. This never seemed right. Does v.2.0 give more options on these sheets in terms of customizing additional lists?

This is probably not the best place for these questions, but they were provoked by the screencast. I hope you don't mind. Very nice screencast. This just leaves me with one other question--when can I get my grubby little hands on this beast? :lol: Anything? A ray of hope? Even something fairly vague and with the understanding of not being guaranteed would float my boat.

Thank you so much, Steve.

BT

Wow. I am stunned. Any doubts that I had how this would compare to the in-progress Scrivener 2.0 have been squished beneath your massive thumb. You are the God of writing software developers. I love the workspaces feature, which I'm assuming allow you to quickly switch between different personalized layouts in a single click. This is nearly perfect. You have implemented almost everything I could have asked for. Thank you so much!

Thanks BT!

Yes the workspace panel lets you switch between workspaces quickly. There is a shortcut to bring up the panel. Once it is up, you can cursor to the one you're interested in and hit return and voila: you're in that workspace.

A couple of questions...

Are the split screens limitless? (i.e. Split the main to have two. Split one of those to have three, as in the screencast. Split the other to have four. Split one of those to have five. Et cetera.)

Well, they're limited by the number of pixels on your screen. :lol: But you can have as many as you can fit. That was the reason for the workspaces feature, by the way, cause it takes a while to get set up otherwise.

Are props in the foreseeable future?

Let me address this below.

Are timelines in the foreseeable future?

Probably not, but I'm willing to entertain the idea. I can see how to do the simple case (linear timeline), but I haven't figured out how to represent things like out-of-order sequences well. I'm probably just thick in this regard.

For the sheets (let's use Characters as the example), the way things are in the version I have has the Appearance section, with all of the fields beneath, such as Age, Height and Weight, etc. I always found that I ended up adding things that weren't related to appearance, such as background details, personality traits, etc. The other areas didn't seem to cover a lot of what I needed, so I added these things to the appearance section. This never seemed right. Does v.2.0 give more options on these sheets in terms of customizing additional lists?

This is probably not the best place for these questions, but they were provoked by the screencast. I hope you don't mind. Very nice screencast. This just leaves me with one other question--when can I get my grubby little hands on this beast? :) Anything? A ray of hope? Even something fairly vague and with the understanding of not being guaranteed would float my boat.

Well, nothing is guaranteed until it ships, but I'm hoping to revise the sheet core to allow more customization. I was originally hoping to have it for 2.0 and did some prototyping, but it is a long way from ready to leave it's nest.

I'd like for you to be able to design a sheet with the elements (and titles) you need and add things like background images and maybe some simple logic (if you're into scripting). After 2.0 is out, we can flesh the feature out a little more.

-Steve

This just leaves me with one other question--when can I get my grubby little hands on this beast? :) Anything? A ray of hope? Even something fairly vague and with the understanding of not being guaranteed would float my boat.

Thank you so much, Steve.

BT

You could sign up as a beta tester. :) Just send Steve a PM.

Surprised you didn't mention this, Steve. You haven't closed the gates on our happy band of bug hunters, have you? :lol:

Best,

Marguerite

Last but not least. :)

Just making sure the clink of my 2¢ registers in the heavy coin jar of your mind.

Not that I'm pushy.

Oh hell. I'm pushy and we both know it.

-Thoth.

Definitely not least. You've sold me on them, and I didn't even ask for them!

Pushy, you? Who knew? :lol:

Belated congratulations on 1,400 unpushy posts.

Best,

M

Belated congratulations on 1,400 unpushy posts.

I couldn't have done it without you and the gang...and the forum...and Storyist...and....

No man is an island, but then, no island is a man. Take that geological oceanic formations!

-Thoth.

Looks very good Steve. But, somewhere, somewhen, I'd like to see a chart that lists Leopard/Storyist features that are not in Tiger/Soryist. I mean, exactly how are those of us still "riding the Tiger" missing out?

More to come...

Can hardly wait.

-Thoth.

You could sign up as a beta tester. :) Just send Steve a PM.

Surprised you didn't mention this, Steve. You haven't closed the gates on our happy band of bug hunters, have you? :lol:

Best,

Marguerite

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. The worst that can happen is Steve will climb through my screen and drip skin all over my keyboard before cracking my head open like one of those plastic eggs kids love on easter. But that's the absolute worst. :)

Thanks again to everyone.

Brian

STEVE!!!

OMG!!! Nice work!!! I hesitate to use ALL CAPS for fear of sounding as if I am shouting, but...LOVE IT!!!!!!

OK, you are planning on doing some big marketing with this I hope, this is huge and will thrill so many people, they just need to know about it.

Holy Mackerel, I am excited...

Thanks for being so nice about my prod for screenshots. ;-)

--Gina--

STEVE!!!

OMG!!! Nice work!!! I hesitate to use ALL CAPS for fear of sounding as if I am shouting, but...LOVE IT!!!!!!

OK, you are planning on doing some big marketing with this I hope, this is huge and will thrill so many people, they just need to know about it.

Holy Mackerel, I am excited...

Thanks for being so nice about my prod for screenshots. ;-)

--Gina--

I don't know what Steve has planned, but I have something planned. I am currently the Production Manager for the newspaper at the only University of California with a creative writing major. You ask me, that is at least one source to hit up. I will be writing a review of Storyist 2 when it comes out. Or, if it is possible, a preview of it when it gets closer to release. To be fair and not look like we're just advertising someone, I will have to review multiple writing products. I'll probably write up my thoughts on both Scriviner and StoryMill, as I've tried both of them. We have a huge department, and many of the students come in without any sort of word processing software. If they have the choice between paying five gabillion dollars for Word, or the small price of Storyist (which serves them better to begin with), I think it's obvious which route they would go. And most students here have Macs, so it's a no-brainer. Anyway, I'll try to do my part.

And this brings something up. I think the best form of marketing a software product gets is word-of-mouth. So, if you want to help, spread the word about the product to all of your writing buddies. If you know of any communities in your area, spread it through them as well. Tell as many people as you can. In turn, they'll probably tell people as well. Ultimately, word-of-mouth is the most practical. And... it's free to Steve, which is a lot better that placing an ad someplace. Still, ads are good practice. But working in newspapers, I find ads are increasingly ignored. They only really have an effect when they have some sort of coupon in them. We advertise an organics store called Goodwin's, and they often include coupons in their ads. On the weeks that they do this, business really booms for them. I shop there, and there is a huge, noticeable difference.

Have fun spreading the word,

Brian

Steve,

So when V2 is up and ready for us to download/upgrade (if we purchased after October 2008, right?), will we get an email letting us know, or should we check the website for an announcement?

--Gina--

Hi Gina,

There'll be a splash on the homepage of the website, an announcement here, and you'll get an email with your new license. I'll try to make sure to send you a personal email as well. :lol:

-Steve

Thanks for the suggestion [Marguerite]. I'll give it a try. The worst that can happen is Steve will climb through my screen and drip skin all over my keyboard before cracking my head open like one of those plastic eggs kids love on easter. But that's the absolute worst. :lol:

Hi BT,

Be assured that Steve hardly ever does that skin dripping thing anymore. Now, as to whether or not that's the absolutely worst thing he could do, bear in mind that he lives in Sunnyvale, the inspiration for Buffy's Sunnydale, with a Hell Mouth at his beck and call.

That said, you should definitely apply for the Betas. The blood oath is now optional and we're allowed to keep our first born due to a union technicality.

-Thoth.

Hi BT,

Be assured that Steve hardly ever does that skin dripping thing anymore. Now, as to whether or not that's the absolutely worst thing he could do, bear in mind that he lives in Sunnyvale, the inspiration for Buffy's Sunnydale, with a Hell Mouth at his beck and call.

That said, you should definitely apply for the Betas. The blood oath is now optional and we're allowed to keep our first born due to a union technicality.

-Thoth.

Well, I'm fine with a blood oath. I might even be fine with giving up my first born. I'd just want it back during the calm years, which I think are between being fully potty trained and hitting puberty. And then Skin-Dripping Steve can have it back again.

Now, I've never watched Buffy, so I have no idea what a Hell Mouth is. It doesn't sound as bad as someone dripping skin all over my keyboard. After the last time someone did that, every time I typed my name, it changed it to 'Little School Girl.' It was difficult to explain that one to my instructors.

-BT (Now I have a hyphen in my name too.)

...I might even be fine with giving up my first born. I'd just want it[?] back during the calm years...

Oh BT, there are no calm years. And no matter how old they get you never stop worrying. You think you will but you wont. But at least Steve can teach your offspring a trade (programming, sales, world domination, something like that).

Now, I've never watched Buffy, so I have no idea what a Hell Mouth is.

Click here.

It doesn't sound as bad as someone dripping skin all over my keyboard.

Well, there's no accounting for taste. I've Scotchgard™ed my keyboard in consideration of just such an occurrence.

After the last time someone did that, every time I typed my name, it changed it to 'Little School Girl.' It was difficult to explain that one to my instructors.

You too?

-BT (Now I have a hyphen in my name too.)

Cool.

-Thoth.

We're allowed to keep our first born due to a union technicality.

-Thoth.

Darn, and here I was counting on dispatching the little brute to drip on Steve if he (the first born, not Steve, although I guess it would work for both) gave me any trouble.

So much for maternal instinct,

No kicking through the monitor in the Tiger beta, although the Storyboard has at times demonstrated a nasty thirst for power, holding bookmarks hostage and snacking on comments in true dragon style. :lol:

M

Darn, and here I was counting on dispatching the little brute to drip on Steve if he (the first born, not Steve, although I guess it would work for both) gave me any trouble.

So much for maternal instinct.

Dispatching dripping little brutes? Sound pretty maternal to me. But then, my childhood has had its peculiarities.

No kicking through the monitor in the Tiger beta, although the Storyboard has at times demonstrated a nasty thirst for power, holding bookmarks hostage and snacking on comments in true dragon style.

But once we've wrung every last drop of bug juice from V2 then everything will be sunshine, lollipops, rainbows and (how does that song go again?) and paradise will reign over the world for ever and ever amen (or until V3). :lol:

-Thoth.

Dispatching dripping little brutes? Sound pretty maternal to me. But then, my childhood has had its peculiarities.

But once we've wrung every last drop of bug juice from V2 then everything will be sunshine, lollipops, rainbows and (how does that song go again?) and paradise will reign over the world for ever and ever amen (or until V3). :lol:

-Thoth.

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,

Everything that's wonderful is what I feel when we're together,

Brighter than a lucky penny,

When you're near the rain cloud disappears, dear,

And I feel so fine just to know that you are mine.

My life is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,

That's how this refrain goes, so come on, join in everybody!

Everything that's wonderful is sure to come your way

When you're in love to stay.

Everything that's wonderful is what I feel when we're together,

Brighter than a lucky penny,

When you're near the rain cloud disappears, dear,

And I feel so fine just to know that you are mine.

My life is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,

That's how this refrain goes, so come on, join in everybody!

Everything that's wonderful is sure to come your way

'Cause you're in love, you're in love,

And love is here to stay!

I'll fight anyone who says I knew that without looking it up!

Archived