Storyist Forums

Smart-TOC

Steakpirate

I don't know about the logic of this unless you're self-publishing, but it would be cool to be able to insert a Table Of Contents page that can be configured to read from your section sheets but is also very malleable (both stylistically, and in the naming and page numbers of things.)

I'm not sure how it's set up at present, but you might want to have presets for page sizes (IE: Novel, regular paper, etc.) so that page numbers will remain accurate in a printed copy, based on page and font size.

I don't know about the logic of this unless you're self-publishing, but it would be cool to be able to insert a Table Of Contents page that can be configured to read from your section sheets but is also very malleable (both stylistically, and in the naming and page numbers of things.)

I'm not sure how it's set up at present, but you might want to have presets for page sizes (IE: Novel, regular paper, etc.) so that page numbers will remain accurate in a printed copy, based on page and font size.

I think you mean Chapters, not Sections. But what do I know about how you're using Storyist.

Automatic Table Of Contents; sure.

Automatic End Notes; why not.

Automatic Bibliography; couldn't hurt.

Automatic Glossary; is that pushing it?

Automatic Indexing; now we're entering MS Word territory. <**shudder**>

Automatic Novel Writing Feature; I can dream, can't I?

I seem to remember a few old threads on all this stuff but I don't remember Steve responding to them*. Maybe we scared him.

-Thoth.

*BTW, Steve has done a pretty good job on Thoth's Hit List.

What are you guys, wimps? You wanna take all the fun out of it! :lol:

Besides, isn't there already a guy producing books by munching Internet sites with algorithms? The 200 Storyist spambots can't be far behind!

Best,

M

M, are you telling us that you've never had the urge to call in a few 'bots to help with some of the chores? Do the laundry? Feed the lizard (no, that's not a euphemism)? Write a few prose for you while you take a well-deserved nap?

Still, I wonder how Steve feels about all those "autos" listed above. Especially the auto-TOC.

-Thoth.

M, are you telling us that you've never had the urge to call in a few 'bots to help with some of the chores? Do the laundry? Feed the lizard (no, that's not a euphemism)? Write a few prose for you while you take a well-deserved nap?

Still, I wonder how Steve feels about all those "autos" listed above. Especially the auto-TOC.

-Thoth.

The chores, absolutely. Feeding the cats? They'd like that. Keeping the cats off the counter with a well-aimed robotic jet of water? They wouldn't like that, but I would.

Writing isn't a chore, though; it's what I do to relax, plotting and all. Back, spambots, back! Go generate ads for $10 rolexes and leave my Golden Lynx alone! :lol:

So that I don't get bumped to Procrastination Station, let me say that I wouldn't mind being able to generate a table of contents from the chapter headings with accurate page numbers. In the interests of the all-Storyist workspace, I can see that might be a needed feature one day (I have had people ask me for a ToC, together with a synopsis and sample chapter, probably to make sure that a full manuscript does exist in some form).

On a scale of items I'd prioritize, auto-generating a ToC wouldn't be high on my list, though, if only because it's easily done in Darth Processor—and until the world wakes up and asks for mss. in Storyist format, our treasured tomes will have to spend at least a few moments in DP or its equivalent before they are sent out.

I am but one voice, however.

Best,

M

By auto, I assume you fields that can auto update, not, say a feature that scans your text looking for things that should be indexed or put in a glossary.

I think TOC generation would be a useful feature. I want to play with it for a while, so I might write a text processing plugin for it (it would show up under Edit > Tools) to take it for a spin.

The rest, well, that is starting to get away from novel/screenwriting. Useful, no doubt, but I'm not sure they belong in Storyist.

I think features to support SP's original intent--to self publish--are fine candidates for a future update.

-Steve

By auto, I assume you fields that can auto update, not, say a feature that scans your text looking for things that should be indexed or put in a glossary.

Yes. But a little A.I. wouldn't kill you. We're not talking SkyNet here. (Or are we?)

I think TOC generation would be a useful feature. I want to play with it for a while, so I might write a text processing plugin for it (it would show up under Edit > Tools) to take it for a spin.

Can hardly wait.

The rest, well, that is starting to get away from novel/screenwriting. Useful, no doubt, but I'm not sure they belong in Storyist.

We have discussed this before. Some novelists (tech adventure, epic fantasy) do use endnotes and glossaries.

I think features to support SP's original intent--to self publish--are fine candidates for a future update.

Same here.

-Thoth.

Archived